Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Article About Rape

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Article About Rape
Spock
Neophyte
Member # 43773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this to go in, so please feel free to move if it is not.

I've been lurking for awhile, and I think this is a great website for teens and young adults to get frank answers to their questions. All of the volunteers do a great job.

I came across two blog posts that talk really frankly about rape. The first one talks about the prevalence of rape "jokes" and how the author didn't know how to respond.

http://fugitivus.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/a-woman-walks-into-a-rape-uh-bar/

The second one is basically about how culture makes it difficult for women to stand up for themselves, to set boundaries, etc., because they're told not too.

http://fugitivus.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/another-post-about-rape-3/

Please be aware that these could possibly be triggering, and the last thing I want to do is trigger someone.

Hope this post is okay. I just wanted to contribute something instead of taking so much away.

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks for adding these!

I just had a friend this week tell me I'd really like this particular blogger, and I haven't had a chance to get to it yet. Great to have some entry points to dig into tomorrow.

And we always really appreciate someone leaving good stuff we might not otherwise see. Thanks.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(And I couldn't help but dig in now and...these are AMAZING.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock
Neophyte
Member # 43773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Heather. Glad you liked them. If you have a chance, her article about sexism— http://fugitivus.wordpress.com/a-daily-dose-of-sexism/ is also good.

Also, ever since I've been reading Scarleteen, I've always wanted to tell you that what you are doing here is really, really great. You should be very proud of yourself. =)

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and one of my favorite from that site http://fugitivus.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/fighting-back/
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

She's just seriously fantastic. So glad for this discovery.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think she is, I'd encourage you to actually leave a comment somewhere on the blog noting who you are and that you think she's awesome.

Given that she has written before about how she's super excited that her new job includes helping minors get judicial bypasses for abortion, I'm sure she'd like the fact that you really like her writing.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Duly noted. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow. Just wow! Those were excellent pieces. I'd read her piece on fighting back before and shared it with some people because I loved it so much, but that one about rape jokes just... blew my mind. Amazing.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished reading the amazing piece on Rape Jokes. When it's not so late that my eyes are starting to cross, I'll dig into the rest of her work. It's almost... heart-breaking in a brutally honest way. Definitely making me think about certain subjects I'd just as soon not think about and reconsider some areas where I've been caviler in the past.

There are times where I wish our society was more open and accepting of this type of discussion, and that it occurred on a much wider scale. The older I get, the more I start to think that there has to be something to how our society treats sex in general and rape in particular that feeds the epidemic of rape we see in so many of our cultures. Based on what I see in "pop culture" and my own observations and interpersonal relationships, I have to think that a lot of men don't understand or have any concept of the repercussions of rape. Based upon that, I have to wonder if a wider, frank dialogue on these topics could do a great deal in fighting this massive problem. (Even that sounds like downplaying the impact of this crisis, but I'm getting tired.)

It's always difficult approaching this topic as a man, and I'm sorry for rambling on in this kind of abstract and obtuse fashion, but reading that particular article inspired a lot of thought on my part.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.