Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » U.S. Presidential Inauguration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U.S. Presidential Inauguration
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder for U.S. citizens (though those of you living outside of the U.S. may find it interesting to watch as well) that today is the Presidential inauguration. This is a big BIG deal. What we're watching today isn't any old, once-every-four-years Presidential inauguration. Today the first African American president of the U.S. is being sworn in. This is huge. This is one of those things you want to remember so you can tell your kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc. what it was like and what you were doing when it happened. You can watch it for free streaming live at www.hulu.com. Also, please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings about this here.

[ 01-20-2009, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up this morning, took out the dog, had a sip of coffee, then remembered what day it was and burst into (very happy) tears.

This IS huge, and for SO many reasons, certainly including the fact that we FINALLY have a person of color as President (and this makes me weepy, again, oy).

But even just as someone who works for reproductive health and women (and who has literally fought the Bush administration more than once), I honestly feel like today a fascist government is being overthrown, and a HUGE weight is coming off my shoulders.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those in Canada who are interested, www.ctv.ca is streaming live as well.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten teary-eyed more than once today. I cried when I went to vote in this election and I cried when Obama won, and now I'm crying more.

It's speculated that in his first week in office Obama may overturn (again) the global gag rule, which prohibits US funding from going to foreign organizations that provide abortion counseling, make referrals for abortions, provide abortions, or lobby to make abortion legal or more available in their country. Clinton overturned this piece of policy when he was in office, but George W. Bush quickly reinstated it.

To read more about what Obama may possibly do this week (the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade is on the 22nd), here's a brief little article:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/19/obama.abortion/

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember ever having gone misty eyed upon hearing a politician speak, but I cried during the Victory speech, and again today during the Inaugural speech. It's just so ... huge. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up missing most of it because of class, but one of my professors was nice enough to show it during class (however the website she used skipped a lot, so I'm watching it again now). They also had a few rooms on campus where people who didn't have class could go and watch it. Definitely the teary-eyes on my end, too, which wasn't so good in front of my class (fortunately, the professor was emotional, too, so at least I wasn't the only one).

I'm a little disappointed, though, because it seemed like a lot of my peers just couldn't care less about the inauguration. Then again, there are still a number of McCain/Palin stickers on student cars, notebooks, and backpacks. That's one of the ways you can tell a professor's car from a student's car: the professors have Obama stickers, the students have McCain/Palin stickers.

It was a really nice speech. I can't remember hearing a president talk about openness with other countries and a general desire for peace and conflict resolution the way Obama talked about it. It was a really beautiful thing to hear. (And I greatly appreciated the slight nod to nonbelievers. It wasn't much, and he still invoked God a whole lot, but that's far far better than certain other presidents who refuse to admit that nonbelievers, or any religion outside of mainstream Christianity, exist. Yeah, I see the irony, too.)

I'm also just SO relieved that it went smoothly. I've been fearing something would happen right before he was sworn in and we'd be plunged back into this nightmare called the Bush administration. I feel like Alice, crawling back out of the rabbit hole.

[ 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not from the US obviously but I, too, really like Obama. I unfortunatly didn't have the chance to watch his entire speech, only a part of it but it did also made me very emotional. [Smile]

[ 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Hey cool, here's the speech if you want to see it. I have a feeling this will be shown on TV for quite some time to come.

Can I say that I'm a little sad there wasn't more dancing in the streets? I was hoping for people to spontaneously burst into song and dance and crowd the streets. Hopefully, another time, within my lifetime. (And yeah, I thought about just doing it myself and seeing if people would join in, but then I chickened out. [Embarrassed] )

--------------------

CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really struck by Obama's words at the Youth Ball last night. It doesn't feel patronizing coming from him, whereas I think there are plenty of people who can talk about youth but not to youth.

Still counting myself as a youth (in many ways), I saw firsthand how young people really rose to the occasion during this election and were incredibly active campaigning, volunteering, and the like.

It's exciting to have someone in office who I think truly believes that any sustainable change that is to happen in the United States is going to need to involve youth. I don't think it's possible to fix anything without our buy-in and support.

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and indeed, the Global Gag Rule is no. Freaking. More.

It's been a long wait, people.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

I am so elated! And hopeful for a new era of sex ed that looks through a lens of cultural competence and harm reduction, rather than moral mandate.

Today is a good day, and I'm also struck by how excited and happy I am that I know so many men who are standing right there along with our female friends, family, colleagues, partners, acquaintances and recognizing that this is not just a huge deal for women--it's a huge deal for all of us.

Here's to continued support of choice, autonomy, and overall sexual health.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty freakin' awesome to see that happen.

I was sharing the news with a friend, and we both marveled at how surreal it still is to hear White House news and not automatically roll your eyes and turn away.

(And the best part? My Republican-voting friend was complaining that Obama is making it hard for him to remain cynical, what with all the good stuff he's making happen. Hah!)

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.