Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » IOWA! Iowa? Iowa, how much I love you today...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IOWA! Iowa? Iowa, how much I love you today...
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 10 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo... *giant grin* Iowa legalized same-sex marriage today. Yup, Iowa. That Iowa in the middle of a cornfield, where I never would have ever guessed they would decide that their state law limiting marriage to heterosexuals was unconstitutional, is now the third state in the U.S. where a same-sex couple can get married.

Bullet points:
*IOWA!!!
*The ruling goes into effect in 21 days, at which point county recorders must grant same-sex couples marriage licences.
*You do not have to be a resident of Iowa to get a license.
*Iowa will probably recognize same-sex marriages of other states.
*Of course, there's a movement now to amend the constitution to limit marriage again, but the earliest it will be able to appear on a ballot is in 2012.

*pause*

IOWA!!!!

*happydance*

You may all resume your scheduled programming now.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was fantastic news to get today! I think that lots of us tend to make some sweeping judgments about the middle of the United States, but there are actually some pretty progressive places there with regard to labor, justice issues, and human rights. So, YAY IOWA! Now for all of those other states to catch on up....
Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amendment? Duh. The Dems said that they'll attempt everything to prevent it, and, until that day comes, John and Jane Doe will be totally used to Adam and Steve and Anna and Eve.
So... Yay!

Now, let's just hope that Prop. H8 gets repealed.

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It gives me more hope for my own hometown in the middle of a cornfield... and makes my mom happy, because now I might not move so far away when I graduate. ^.^

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG.
Vermont joined the ranks.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/04/07/us/AP-GayMarriage-Vermont.html?_r=2&hp

--------------------

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweden also just legalised same-sex marriage [Big Grin]
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Noo... Sweden will legalize it on May 1st.

And Austria will introduce civil unions on next New Year's Day. Thank you, Austrian Green Party, you rock.

--------------------

Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they legalised it last week, but the new law will be in effect may 1st (Swedish law student here xD)
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IOWA! VERMONT! SWEDEN! AUSTRIA! *runs around chanting and occasionally bouncing and spinning in circles*

Happy, happy times to be alive.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.