Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Problems with Sexual Health Care

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with Sexual Health Care
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by hanging around Scarleteen, I went to Planned Parenthood today to schedule STI tests.

The woman I spoke to there was really cool and I asked her opinion about which tests I should get since I have sex with women.

She gave me her recommendation and then explained (rolling her eyes, apologetic) that on my intake forms I should lie and say I'm also having sex with men in order to get most of the tests for free. Apparently, the government will only pay for the annual tests if it's supporting safer hetero sex.

I guess I've been sort of naive about the state of sexual health care. I'm curious about any other difficulties people have encountered trying to get sexual health care.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I'm glad I stumbled onto this. For my degree (in a health-related field) we're required to submit essays etc every so often discussing our views on particular topics. This semester I was given the topic of sexual health... and yes I did in fact discuss it... but I failed the assignment. What peeved me the most was that they gave me great comments on how it was good to see a future physician interested in sexual health, yet apparently I didn't make some of the connections they wanted me to make... I spoke about how some youths do get frightened by STIs... and how within my own particular group (and I'm sure others) there is a certain stigma attached to having an STI etc... yet apparently I was wrong by saying that there were some psychological ramifications for someone in their teenage years being told they have HSV I or II?

It sort of makes me angry and frustrated because the people running the course seem to be pretty out of touch with some of these issues... and so do the government in your case bluejumprope. Also because it was an opinion piece ... and apparently my opinions are wrong?

Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.