Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Abortion Opinion Poll: For Women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortion Opinion Poll: For Women
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you feel about abortion? What experiences of yours have influenced your feelings? Women only, please.

[ 03-09-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 6 question(s). 335 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've known for years that I do not ever want to give birth to or parent a child. I have no patience for children and very little (if any) feelings of love or even liking towards them. In light of all of these facts I seriously doubt I'd make a good mother.
Frankly, I think before we decide on a law one way or the other on abortion we should sit down and decide once and for all when EXACTLY does a person own his or her own life? At what point is a person considered an actual "person" with a life of his or her own?
I think that a child's life does NOT begin until it takes its first breath. . aka: when it has been born. Then no one has the right to end it. (of course, there could be exceptions, like if the newborn is terminally ill and not expected to live more than a certain number of months, or what have you)
When a fetus is still inside of its mother's womb, it is a PART of the mother's body and the mother has every right to do with it as she sees fit. This is what I believe, at least.
A lot of the pro-life lobbyists make me so angry because I don't see them adopting armloads of babies. I don't see them offering pre-natal healthcare, medical coverage, etc to pregnant women. And of course there are the extremely radical groups that have bombed abortion clinics and murdered doctors. How can they say they value life when their actions clearly show they ABSOLUTELY do not?

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't disagree with your logic, Gwaihir, and I do agree that pro-life lobbyists tend not to concede the (sometimes) harsh realities of pregnancy. But I would debate whether a child's life begins when it can "take its first breath."

I was born at 26 weeks and was not able to breathe on my own at all - I was incubated for 3 months, the first couple of weeks on oxygen. I was given a 25% chance of living, and an 80% chance that I would have some sort of severe mental/physical disability.

Perhaps the definition of life should be decided by the point at which a newborn can survive outside of the womb even with medical support?
I don't know.

The debate on "personhood" will be, in my opinion, the most difficult one to conclude.
It's part of a battle of wills.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you're situation kinda falls into a gray area here. . . what I really mean by "first breath" is basically when the child leaves its mother's womb. You took that more literally than what I had in mind, but you made a good point.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good questions and observations, kitka.

I think, Gwaihir, that the "personhood" debates that can happen per abortion are largely a fairly deliberate distraction much of the time, intended to keep us from thinking about grown women.

In other words, we already know, without a doubt, that a woman is a whole, live, fully-formed person, so even if we could somehow unilaterally "prove" the belief that full, complete life begins at -- and some even state before -- conception, it still doesn't negate or nullify the personhood of a grown woman.

That doesn't mean that a fertilized egg or a blastocyst or an embryo or a feyus or an infant is irrelevant, not at all. Rather, that (especially since that sort of unilateral decision will NEVER be made) when we are talking about a pregnant woman, about her body, about what she chooses to do with a pregnancy -- NOT a child -- these issues and questions need to address HER, her first and HER with as much reverence, respect, care and compassion as many people do unborn children. (And, IMO, if we say we care for children, period, and want their lives to be of quality, we sure the heck had best be treating their actual and possible mothers with respect and care first and foremost. There's an arena, especially in the U.S., where you can watch me end up with steam coming out of my ears, too.)

And for all the years I've been involved in these issues, I feel pretty confident saying that until everyone can really do that -- and we are SUCH a long way off, sadly -- no other single thing could secure the right to choose.

[ 03-09-2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

I don't suppose there's every going to be a way to scientifically "prove" that there is an exact turning point where an embryo technically becomes a human and can't be terminated. I just figured if it was this: a child's life not beginning and not even considered a real child until it leaves the womb were an actual solid law. . like if they just decided that was that, pro-lifers would be a lot less likely to argue that abortion was murder and whatnot. . but even if that were to happen it doesn't seem likely they'd let up on that just because it's written in stone.
So personhood issues or more attention and care given to the women that have these pregnancies? I think both are important, though as I'm thinking about it, you're right, Miz S, that care and reverence towards women is of the utmost importance.

Heather
Member # 3

Personally, if one wants to make a determination about when a child is viable, whole, etc. I think it's pretty safe to say that when a child *can* survive, healthfully, outside of the womb, then it is a seperate being from his or her mother. And the abortion policies we have had in the past have not overstepped that boundary.

But until that time, stating that it/he or she is is pretty dicey.

And personally? I've seen, in my life, a lot of kids who were abused, malnourished, mistreated, neglected, many of whom were had out of obligation, guilt or shame. Killing a child's body or spirit slowly doesn't strike me as any more kind or compassionate than electing to terminate a pregnancy to AVOID doing that.

There will always be people who are going to call abortion murder. There will always be people for whom physical life takes precedence over quality of life. These things are givens, and thery're opinions, in some regard, which one just has to accept. But. The issue really is when those personal opinions are placed on other people, especially by law. And just like it's be facist for me to use power I had to institute a policy which did not allow certain women to become pregnant or parent, or certain men to have heterosexual sex at all, because of my feelings, the same goes here.

And again, a lot of that comes down to the treatment of women, to treating women not as property, baby-factories or overgrown children, but as whole people, as adults, as people in the position to make sound choices for themselves AND children.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

spiegel
Neophyte
Member # 27848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I don't consider abortion as a murder.

I wouldn't hesitate to get an abortion myself, in case of an unwanted pregnancy. Regardless of it being accidental or result of a rape.

I believe that a person who has never breathed and hasn't had their umbilical cord cut is not a person. It's an incomplete person. So, unless a child is born, it's not a child and I think deeds concerning it cannot fall into civil law.

A woman has every right on her life and on her self. A mistake as severe as a pregnancy can destroy not only the woman's life, but also the child's. So prevention of a problem is always better than confrontation.

I accept abortions not only in cases of health problems ---when the mother's life is in danger--- but also in social cases, when the mother is by mistake mother or when she's forced to get pregnant. There's democracy so each woman has every right to choose whether she is capable of and willing to bring a new human to life.

--------------------
We can start right now.

Posts: 4 | From: Somewhere. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To all that has been said, hear hear! I am pro-choice, and believe that current abortion laws are just. From what I've read, supposedly the cut-off age for elective abortions is around 5 months, when the fetus first develops the ability to detect pain. I entirely agree with these grounds.

Though I do support abortions for mothers who don't want children, for any reason, one of my pro-life friends did point out something striking to me, though I doubt many women do this. There undoubtedly exist some women who have elected to have abortions many times, in place of adequate birth control. Though I don't think that number is very large considering the cost of most procedures, on those grounds I don't think abortion is right. I'd much rather a woman take the responsibility to prevent pregnancies rather than subject herself to so many abortions. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once pro-life but when my partner and I got into the pregnancy situation at 18 and we weren't ready for parenting. It was unplanned how the pregnancy happened and we had been using condoms. We also had other things going for us at the time, and etc.

We discussed all the options and at the end, we decided to abort. I realized that I was more against giving the baby up to adoption if I had gone to term, and we both weren't ready for being a parent myself if I had gone to term as well. So it came down to the only option. We live in Canada and abortion is available. So we terminated the pregnancy at 8 weeks. That was 4 years ago. So my view on abortion have changed, and i'm more pro-choice because for one i had been in the positon myself and glad that the option to abort is given a right in my country if women are found to be that situation regardless of whatever reasons. The only other person close to me that has experienced abortion is one of my best friends. She found herself in the pregnancy situation about a year later and decided to abort.

However, my fiance and I agreed that if we found ourselves pregnant again unplanned, we would keep the baby seeing that we would probably be older and more able to support. 4 years have gone by, and no pregnancies to report since. We're to marry this May, and we're still in no rush to have kids, not for at least another three years.

My best friend had this same notion should she found herself pregnant unplanned again. Well she has this year with her long time boyfriend, and they both have decided to carry to term. She's now 3 months along. She's very estatic and ready to be parents along with her boyfriend. I love her, and i support her as I supported her once before with her previous pregnancy decision.

Basically, i support abortion and that the right should always be available for women should it be needed to go down this road. personally, it should only happen once for me. Once i get pregnant again, my partner and I will be ready to become parents for life.

[ 03-12-2006, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: summergoddess ]

--------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeta
Activist
Member # 20185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I fully agree with Miz Scarlet, though I got a lot more throughout about it when reading too much philosophy. But bottom line is: We do not know if fetuses can suffer, we do knew dead sure that grown women can, and do, suffer. Therefore it's obvious which needs to be considered first if it comes to that.

I still think it would be ideal if it need not come to that; I am not entirely sure about moral status of fetuses, and anyway I doubt anyone enjoys having an abortion. Sure, one hears stories of women who terminate pregnancies in a blink of an eye, but given that it's pricey and not pleasant, I doubt they really prefer it to proper birth control. I think, if it really happens, it's more of a case of lack of proper information or sufficient assertiveness to look after themselves. It would be best if abortions need not happen, and that would be best achieved by proper sex education, female self-esteem and easy access to birth control. And late-term abortions could be prevented by abortion being easy to get quickly and cheaply (for free?), if something does go wrong anyway.

Anyway, I think it's pretty dangerous to start saying that we know anyone else's motivations or ability to take care of a kid better than they themselves do. If someone thinks they can't care for a kid, I think it's safe to say they're probably right. And while pro-lifers may insist on adoption, not abortion, I haven't seen many actually willing to adopt a batch of babies born to crack addicts. Making a human from a batch of reproductive cells does not take nine months, it takes eighteen years. At least.

--------------------
I don't get even, I get odder

Posts: 57 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueberd16
Neophyte
Member # 34571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueberd16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it may have been stated already but i as u will see am prochoice...here r my personal reasons...
1)in the case of teens...many r not mature enough to care for a child (though a teen myself...i realize how hard it is...i raised my younger brother when my parents would leave for long periods of time)
2)if the pregnancy is the result of rape then the child may be raised as a reminder of this experience and be abused in some form
3)if the child cannot be properly cared for and would lead an unhappy lifestyle
4)if the child is for sure going to have serious medical issues that would keep it from enjoying life
5)if u knew that the child would be given up for adoption (speaking as someone who has been in the foster care system b4...it sucks to say the least...its the luck of the draw...they dont seem too picky as to who the families r b/c they never have enough...so many make quite unhappy homes)

whether or not u agree w/them these r my reasons...many come from experience for myself or those close to me...(fyi i am now w/my dad and getting along happily...it was my mom and stepdad that would leave my brother and i)

--------------------
focus on friends
care not about money
and u will be the richest person alive

Posts: 9 | From: CA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meeneecat
Neophyte
Member # 34762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meeneecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of when a life is considered a life, I wanted to bring up a little discussed subject relating to the Vatican's definition of life (I will quote an article which makes mention of this):

"from the church's very conception up until Pope Pius IX's 1869 decree-held that the fetus did not become a person until late in the course of gestation. And this tradition (lasting almost two millennia) of church "findings" should give the modern Catholic some pause over the "eternal veracity" of their current findings." [1]

This makes sense when you think about the fact that the Church does not and never did baptise fetuses." It should also be noted that at the time the decree was made (1869), the Suffrigist movement (aka women's rights movement) had started to take shape. One could resonably conclude that the decree (and future law) was a backlash against the women's rights movement at the time.

In my opinion women need to have choice and control when it comes to childrearing - this includes access to family planning services including abortion. I belive that abortion is a tough choice, and anyone who belives that abortion is an "easy way out" or just another form of birth control obviously never had to be faced with this difficult decision. Abortion is not an easy choice - and women deserve no less than to have options and access to proper services when faced with this difficult decision. We do not want to go back to the days of the back-ally abortion which would needlessly jepordize the lives of many women. Laws that undermine a womens right to her own body and pregnancy planning seem to fly in the face of the widely accepted saying "mother knows best". Restriction of choice, sends the message that women can not be trusted to do what's best for their own health and their baby's, and that message is just wrong.
Ultimately, the choice should be up to the women and her doctor, not the decision of some lawmaker in washington - Mommy knows best.

[1] reference for quote: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1374/is_n3_v54/ai_15388145

--------------------
-meeneecat

Posts: 21 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina
Activist
Member # 34235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm most definitely pro-choice. I believe that until the fetus leaves the mother's body, it is still a part of her and it is up to her to make any and all decisions.

Would I, myself, get an abortion? Probably if I got pregnant now. I'm not out of high school yet, there's no way I would even be a half decent mother...especially with the rigorous educational path I plan on taking after high school. A child would not fit my lifestyle. And I know that if I decided to give up my baby for adoption I would change my mind as soon as he/she was born.
However, my boyfriend is anti-abortion with the exception of incest, rape, and his partner's [my] life being in danger. He told me, that he would chose me over any child if he ever had to make a choice.
So I would have to go through the abortion by myself with just my best friend. Even though my mother had two abortions after she had me [long story], she is still very much against them and would disown me if she found out.

Based on my own situation if I ever became pregnant in the next few years, I can clearly see that abortion is not an easy way out.

-sighs- My point is made so much easier when I'm talking and not typing it. lol

--------------------
Madwomen seldom think they're crazy.

Posts: 83 | From: in my own little world | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candygirl
Neophyte
Member # 35197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you feel the need to be taking to birth control or to have an abortion to prevent being a parent and taking responsibility for your actions then you shouldn't be having intercourse.
Posts: 16 | From: some where your not | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth does using contraception or making your own reproductive choices indicate lack of readiness for sexual activity? It's generally accepted that people who CAN'T do these things (get regular sexual healthcare, choose a reliable form of contraception, protect each other against STI's, plan ahead for a possible pregnancy and discuss what will happen) are the ones who aren't ready for sexual activity/intercourse, not the inverse.

The bulk of parenthood, to boot, relies on responsibility, and a huge part of that is planning a pregnancy and putting it off if deemed necessary until the best potential conditions and resources are available to a potential child.

Scarleteen is a pro-choice site and a safe space for young people. We do NOT need attitudes that encourage irresponsibility -- or shame those who've made the best reproductive choice for them in an attempt to BE responsible -- here.

[ 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Shade
Neophyte
Member # 35422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Shade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a pro-choice activist ever since I entered college and saw a delightful little pro-life exhibit called the Genocide Awareness Project, which used extremely gory (and misleading) pictures of dead babies, AND compared abortion to the Holocaust (the cherry on the cake, since I'm Jewish) and the genocide in Rwanda.

That got me mad. Getting mad got me active.

I believe in that post-hyphen word: Choice. If you want to keep your baby, then I absolutely respect you and admire it, because I certainly couldn't. It may be because I'm only 18, but the very thought of being pregnant just creeps me out and I really don't like kids. I don't know if I ever will want a family, but right now if I found out I was pregnant I'd go to the abortion clinic without another thought.

Choice, see? the ability to choose. We don't kill all babies. It just seems sensible and right to be able to choose to abort a pregnancy if it is unwanted, unsafe or not the right time or place. I support legal abortion completely.

--------------------
The Divine Miss Shade

Posts: 15 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Miss Shade, did you happen to see that display at the U of C? At any rate, it was prominently displayed there until they were forced to take their display off campus, where they then put it at the very busy university lrt (train) station. Not cool at all.

Edit- never mind, I guess the thing travels around to different schools all the time. Nonetheless, having seen it myself, I can wholeheartedly agree with you that it was definately a horrifying thing to see.)

[ 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Shade
Neophyte
Member # 35422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Shade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Leabug - Yes, it was at U of C, last year; I don't know if it's there this year as I've moved to a different province, but I do know that the same group had a truck with the same pictures on the sides--charmingly called the Truck of Horrors--driving around downtown Calgary in an effort to shock people.)

--------------------
The Divine Miss Shade

Posts: 15 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, it's not around this year- yet. But gosh that was awful, I can't even imagine how women who have had abortions would have felt walking past those displays. All I can say is that I certainly hope more people had the reaction to that display that you had- to become actively pro-choice, rather than to join their group.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow this is a really important topic to talk about isnt it. I also consider myself pro-choice. I very much believe that women must have rights over their own bodies.

At the same time I agree with what Lauren said above that prevention of pregnancy is much better than abortion. In my country, termination/abortion is publcially funded and free to the consumer. I feel it is so so important for people to realise that abortion is NOT a method of contraception and that there are serious consequences. Repeat terminations in young women are also not uncommon where i live.

i have observed an abortion clinic as a student and understand that most abortions are approved by the doctors on the grounds that continuing this pregnancy would cause serious harm to the woman's mental health. A compulsory part of the discussion is the woman's longterm birth control plan following abortion- convenient and effective methods such as IUDs are usually recommended. These can also be inserted for free.

In theory it works but still women have repeat abortions. Some of these women are in their 30s and are very capable of looking after a child. Of course they have choice over their own bodies. But they have a choice and a responsibility to use contracption and emergency contraception (a luxury that wasnt always available). I feel that the pro-life demonstrations mentioned above (while in pretty bad taste) can serve to remind us that the choice to have an abortion is like no other choice we will make in our lives. It cannot be made lightly. At my local hospital, the abortion clinic and the fertility clinic are located just floors apart- it made me think about how pregnancy can be a burden or an unattainable privilege depending on the luck of the draw!

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pro-choice. I don't think that my own moral views on anything as big as staying pregnant should affect anyone buy me. I don't know if I could have an abortion myself since I've never been pregnant and I think that is one of the things you can't be sure of 'till you're in that situation.

One thing I do know though, if I got pregnant the choice would be to keep it or terminate. I don't think I could survive giving up a child for adoption.

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borgqueen45
Neophyte
Member # 36533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borgqueen45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
simply, when do we celebrate life? on birthdays. not conception days. a fetus is not life, it is the potential for life, therefore it is not murder to have an abortion. i'm pro-choice
Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Hey, I understand that you feel strongly about being prochoice, borgqueen, and that's great! But, we can't let stuff like this sit; how one choses to define life, and one's own feelings about abortion based on them, are personal, and it's really important we respect everybody's values.

If you said "A fetus is not potential for life, it IS life" or "therefore it IS murder to have an abortion" it wouldn't fly here, not only because ST is pro-choice, but because it is imposing your standards upon everybody.

It's perfectly OK to present this information as opinion ("in my opinion.." "The way I see it.."), and even better to state it as a personal standard ("I would choose abortion FOR ME because I BELIEVE that a fetus is only a potential for life..."), however. :)

SnowLhite
Neophyte
Member # 29534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnowLhite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually surprised myself in this poll by classifying myself as pro-choice.
My views on abortion are complicated, and I've never actually considered myself to be on either side of the life/choice line before.
I believe abortion is a last option, absolutely last, that one should be preventative rather.
I come from a background where my mother was very strongly pro-life, but not crazy pro-life demonstrating and calling people murderers, she just believed it was wrong, and so from that perspective I understand the value placed on the foetus, and I respect that the foetus is potentially a child, but at what point do we consider a bunch of cells to be alive?
When they're fertilised? When they resemble us?
And what about the woman's right to her own body?
If you consider for a moment that a foetus is basically a parasitic being until birth, surely the woman has a right to say no?
The foetus is living off her being, and she is already in this world, whole, and living. Does she not have the right to say whether or not she wants this child?
If you look at it as a matter of the law - which is necessary if you want to talk about the whole 'murder issue' - when is someone considered a person? I think logically, you should be a person once you've taken your first breath, no sooner or later. If you're inside your mothers womb you are still a part of her body.

--------------------
"Love and let love."

~Snowy~

Posts: 32 | From: HELL also Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really think the debate needs to be about whether or not the foetus is alive or not. I mean, it is alive. But so are animals that are killed for food, and that's perfectly legal. So are plants, and there's not even a moral debate about the rights of carrots. Heck, bacteria is alive, and most people make a concious effort to kill that on a daily basis.

I think the debate is about when a foetus becomes a person, and thereby gets all the rights that the given country afford to its people.

I think it simply comes down to whose rights you value more: the rights of the foetus, or the rights of the woman carrying it. And the way I see it, the reasons that people give for a foetus being a "person" are dodgy at best, and often nothing more than one enormous, fallacious appeal to emotion, whereas there's really no question that the woman carrying the foetus in question is a person. I'm pro-choice simply because I will always see women as people deserving of rights (including rights to bodily integrity), and I don't think I could ever put a foetus on the same level.

Also, I'll admit that I'm pro-choice for purely selfish reasons. If I ever get pregnant, I will have an abortion. The idea of being pregnant and giving birth disgusts and terrifies me. I think babies are weird and creepy. I have no particular liking for small children of any kind. But the worst part of all that for me, by far, is pregnancy and birth. Carrying to term and giving it up for adoption is something I don't even see as an option for myself.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caz
Neophyte
Member # 36767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive that all women have the right to make up their own minds if they want a termination or not it depends on the situation that the chil was conceived.

I have a 1yr old son and when i found out i pregnant it was to late for me to have a termination. The only reason i thought about having 1 was because he was conceived through Rape.

i also think that it age should be taken to consideration as thses days you have got children (14 yr olds) having babies and they think it ok..

at the end of the day there is so many different situations that it should be up to the women to decide if the time is right or not to have children and if that means termination then i would be here to support any of them..

--------------------
CAJones

Posts: 11 | From: Neath (wales) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danamarie512
Neophyte
Member # 36827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danamarie512     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that women should have the choice to do whatever they want to with their bodies. Regardless, abortion is never an easy situation to deal with, and not an simple decision to make. I had an abortion on January 2nd of this year, and it changed me drastically and is putting a huge strain on my relationship. I know I made the right decision but it was far from an easy one to make. I will carry this with me for awhile and I'm still in the process of healing emotionally.
I support and empathize with all women who have had to go through this.

--------------------
Dana

Posts: 6 | From: buffalo,ny | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giselle
Neophyte
Member # 37083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giselle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am against abortion except in certain situations. My belief has nothing to do with cells or when life begins. My belief is basically on taking personal responsibility for your actions. I think when someone chooses to have sex they are choosing to deal with any consequences that may arise from engaging in sexual intercourse. Plus, the availability and affordibility of birth control, you can pretty much reduce your chances of pregnancy occurring to under 1% when used correctly. In cases of rape, the woman is not consenting to the sexual act and therefore not consenting to responsibility and consequences that arise from that act. Also, when someone underage (as legally defined in Canada) has sex in most cases they are not mature enough to fully make the decision to put themselves at potential risk for pregnancy and STI's. I am okay with abortion in those situations. I still don't have logical arguement/thought when it comes to cases of incest, though I'd probally support abortion in cases of incest (even if "consensual").

Even though I have these personal views, do I believe in making abortion illegal? Absolutely not! Being of the libertarian mindset, I can't let my person views infringe on someone's personal rights. When it comes down it, the woman's body, the woman's choice, even I don't agree with the choices being made.

[ 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: giselle ]

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NTHG
Neophyte
Member # 40744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NTHG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps the definition of life should be decided by the point at which a newborn can survive outside of the womb even with medical support?
I don't know.

This is called viability. Many pro-choice who wish to put some limit on late-term abortions agree that it should be banned at the point where the fetus is developed enough as to survive out of the mother's womb, be it with or without medical support.

quote:
Frankly, I think before we decide on a law one way or the other on abortion we should sit down and decide once and for all when EXACTLY does a person own his or her own life? At what point is a person considered an actual "person" with a life of his or her own?
This we cannot do. The point in which we consider a being as a person is a matter of belief, this is, faith, and we cannot make law out of faith.
As stated in the Roe v. Wade decision: "We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."
However, the Court majority determined that the original intent of the (USA) Constitution did not include the unborn. So legally an unborn fetus is not guaranteed the right to life.

I so much agree with Heather. Since we don't know whether we should take the fetus as a person, but we cannot discuss a grown up woman IS a person, I believe her rights should always be above those of the fetus. Her rights to freedom, choice, privacy and well being should be more important that the right to life of a fetus. Besides, I believe we only can uphold right to life for those who have experience and desire of it.
I also tell every pro-life I encounter that an unwanted child will most probably be badly taken care of, due to poverty, parents' irresponsibility or parents' psychological impairment, and it is much more cruel to give a life under those conditions than to take it away.

It is also true that many anti-choice (pro-life sounds too good, pro-life should be applied only to those who wish to reduce abortions through education and birth-control availability, and who wouldn't have them themselves, not to the fascists who want to prohibit them) don't take into account the needs of parents and don't want to provide resources to make it easier for them to take good care of the child. And, no, they aren't helping by adopting, because they get too many of their own.
Also, since many anti-choice are very conservative people, they are also against birth control and sex ed. So their plan is to enforce both their beliefs that abortion is wrong and that sex before marriage is wrong. Beliefs are not to be enforceable, sirs.

A big thumbs up to summergoddess. Most pro-life just haven't been in a situation where it was really difficult for them to keep a child. Probably some, even if they went through it, would go on being pro-life. But they need to know what they're talking about. Their views are often not realistic.

Posts: 14 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragontamer
Neophyte
Member # 41051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragontamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just putting in my two cents:

For me, abortion is something taht is intensely private. what one person belives, or what a religion belives, doesn't make a srap of difference to the result. If a woman feels she needs an abortion she will have it, no matter how legal or illegal, easy or hard it is to achieve. The real question is what can we do through education and medicine to make abortions less necessary, to educate women and men on sex, and to make the abortion itself as unstressful as possible.

I personally an pro-life in beliefs, but pro-choice in stance. In other words, while i personally could not fathom having an abortion, I absolutely belive that no one has the right to dictate to another what she should do. And so with my limited epxerience of otehr girls who have had abortions, ive always tried to be balanced and give them all the options I know of. After all, a foetus is life (ater a certian age or whatever), but while no-one wants to kill life, the foetus isn't suffering. It dies. It's soul or whatever moves on. It could just as eaisly be miscarried or have died of a disease in it's early throes of life.Having not experienced a wide spectrum of life experience, it's not missing too much.

So the argument is on the potential of a growing child, and the life it could have if it were to be allowed to live.

The real answer, I suppose, is to stop abortions at the source with sex education. I dont' think many peopel coudl disagree with that. I assure you that no woman actually would choose to go trhough abortion for 'funsies', after all. They'd rather not get in that situation.

Posts: 18 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Dragontamer, I really appreciate what you have said here.

In the case that your beliefs make you feel isolated, do know that many pro-choice women do not choose/have not chosen abortion for themselves or do not feel that is a choice they themselves would want to make.

What being pro-choice is about isn't so much about what WE have done, would do, or feel we might do for ourselves, but about feeling that, as you have expressed, reproductive choices are something every woman should be free to make for herself, whatever they are, based on what any given women feels is best for her and her family.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dragontamer
Neophyte
Member # 41051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragontamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly [Smile]

Unfortunately in any matters as strong as this you can get a problem of sign waving hysteria on either side, which doesn't help anybody. Add religion into the mix and it's hard for any government or body to make a response that can please everyone (or even a majority of people), it's a subject very close to the bone - and for good reasons. But that can cloud fair judgement too, which is where the problem is I guess.

Posts: 18 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.