Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Female (U.S.) President

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Female (U.S.) President
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say straight off, I'm not endorsing any candidates here or pushing for any political agenda. I'm only asking other people's opinions on this matter.

On the news lately, there seems to be a lot of people asking if Bill Clinton would be president through Hillary Clinton if she won the election. Some of my classmates have even voiced these same opinions. When people are saying these things, is it because they don't like Hillary Clinton or is it because they don't think any woman could actually independantly be president, that every woman says only what her husband tells her to? Is this just the american society, that it isn't willing to endorse a woman president yet? I'd love to hear some opinions on this.

(I hope this isn't something against the policy. I'm truly only asking about it in terms of sexual politics and how it affects our daily lives.)

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't think it has much to do with her being a woman; I just don't think the spouse of a former US president has ever gone up for office after their term.

First ladies (gentlemen? husbands? what'll it be?!) are very influential people who often DO do a lot behind the scenes to help their spouses along, and I suppose having a former president with such a loaded public opinion working behind those scenes is what people are concerned about more than anything.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'M concerned about is that Clinton will get the 'feminist vote', while her policies are largerly bad news for feminists and liberal people in general. A candidate such as Obama, who I feel has the best attitude to the presidency, I would feel much more comfortable with. But that's just my opinion.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SFgrrrl
Activist
Member # 35244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFgrrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you be more specific, joseph? I don't know what you're talking about. I hadn't thought Hillary was much more conservative than Obama...
Posts: 207 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also argue the exact opposite by pointing out that Hilary spearheaded an initiative on Universal Health Care, and, despite her husband not showing indications of any interest prior to hers, putting it to the vote (well, he lost, but)...

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the other points I wanted to bring up is that so many other countries have had female leaders and it wasn't even thought of that they would make bad decisions or emotional decisions because of their periods or menopause or that their husbands would be running the show from behind and they'd just be puppets or that they'd be busy homemakers or taking care of the kids (all different things I've heard people say about the idea of a female president). Yet, in the U.S. all anybody can say is: Is America ready for a female president? What does it take to be "ready" for a female president? What goes on in those other countries that female leaders are readily accepted? What's wrong with American society that it's harder to accept or that it is such a shock when a woman runs for president?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.