Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » N.H. repeals parental notice of abortion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: N.H. repeals parental notice of abortion
CondomMan
Activist
Member # 32823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CondomMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CONCORD, N.H. - Gov. John Lynch signed legislation Friday that made New Hampshire the first state to repeal a law requiring a parent be notified before a minor received an abortion.

The 2003 law never took effect because of a court challenge, and the repeal took effect immediately.

Lynch cited the law's lack of a provision regarding the pregnant minor's health, agreeing with the judge who ruled the law unconstitutional in 2003.

New Hampshire is the first state to repeal a parental notice law, according to Dawn Touzin of Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. Washington state removed a parental consent law in 1991.

Forty-four states have laws requiring parental notification or consent for a minor seeking an abortion. Nine laws, including New Hampshire's, were unenforceable, according to NARAL Pro-Choice America, which filed a brief supporting the lawsuit brought by Planned Parenthood.

--------------------
Condoms Rock!

Posts: 52 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlotte234
Neophyte
Member # 31623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlotte234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange. I dunno how to feel about that.

I think that a very young (Less than 15) minor should have to inform a parent. But then again, there are minors who are 16, 17, almost 18, who may be okay with making medical decisions for themselves. The whole idea of "minors" has changed over time, as people begin to behave like adults (even if they don't make the best choices, but hey, not all adults are making the best choices, either) much earlier than they did in the past.

What do you think about it?

--------------------
No lies, just love.

Posts: 23 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that at least where I live, a person's medical records are private from anyone at 14; 12, I believe, if it's sexual health. So far as I'm concerned, requiring parental notification is breaking the HIPPA laws in place to protect patients.

If a minor isn't telling her parents to begin with, there's probably a bigger issue there above and beyond the medical procedure itself that needs to be addressed first.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that at least where I live, a person's medical records are private from anyone at 14; 12, I believe, if it's sexual health. So far as I'm concerned, requiring parental notification is breaking the HIPPA laws in place to protect patients.

If a minor isn't telling her parents to begin with, there's probably a bigger issue there above and beyond the medical procedure itself that needs to be addressed first.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy783
Neophyte
Member # 35378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy783     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No matter at what age a teen is mature enough to make decisions for herself, until she reaches the age of majority her parents are still nominally responsible for her health and well-being. So, at least notifying the parents that their daughter is having (or has had) an abortion, I think, should be mandatory, with very few exceptions (which really aren't exceptions, just additional notes).

This is not to say that the parents should have veto rights over the procedure--far from it! Just that they should know that their daughter is getting an abortion--so that they can be informed about their daughter's health, which they usually would be informed about anyway by the girl herself.

I especially think that they should be informed if the pregnancy was a result of a rape. Their daughter will need all of the support (in whatever form) they can give her after such a traumatic experience--and needing to terminate an unwanted pregnancy as a result could be the "straw that broke the camel's back," so to speak.

In cases of pregnancies in minors due to incestual intercourse, I think at least the mother (or stepmother/grandmother/other female legal guardian, or lacking that, a female social worker) should be informed, but I think I remember hearing somewhere that the female partners/mothers of those men who sexually abuse their female siblings/daughters/wards sometimes actually cover up for or defend those same men. But I'm not sure how often that happens, if at all.

Of course, if the girl is malnourished or unhealthy in any other way, I think her parents should be informed of the abortion, but then there should be an investigation into the girl's home life--or into the circumstances that made her run away/move away if she's not living with her parents while still a minor.

Of course, all of this is moot if she's an emancipated teen (in places where that's legal). Not to mention, it's just my opinion.

[ 10-03-2007, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Darcy783 ]

Posts: 4 | From: Frederick, MD, USA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if, say, they're pro-life/abusive parents that would beat the crap out of or make a girl's life a living hell for having had unprotected sex/aborted?

Why, too, should the state be responsible for making the decision OF a rape survivor who she should CHOOSE to tell of her assault? Again, you can't expect every family to be supportive, and this could put the female at greater harm through blatantly UNsupportive, or even blatantly BLAMING, parents.

So, may I ask if you'd want to make concessions for females whose home life we can't know about nor should? Is this about your personal feelings of what you'd hope would happen in an ideal family setup, of which a good majority aren't a part of?

[ 10-03-2007, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also goes without saying that those who would hide such things from their parents have good reason to -- the only thing laws such as these would do is make a girl's choice for her, and she'd have to suffer the consequences on top of an unwanted pregnancy and abortion.

Girls with good parents in a loving, open environment often times will approach their parents FIRST for help and support.. parents have themselves to blame if their children feel unsafe talking to them about something major in their life. Laws are never a replacement for responsible parenting.

[ 10-03-2007, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.