Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sex education stats

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex education stats
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6347621.stm
Another interesting BBC article - it's official that sex education in the UK is woefully inadequate. Which I'm sure we all knew.
But some of these statistics are shocking:
quote:
A third thought exercise, douching or urinating after sex could stop fertilisation.
Where do they get that from? Seriously?
And there's more...
quote:
On sex education... 18% said they did not get any.

That doesn't surprise me so much, in fact I'd think it would be higher, but still it's gross negligence.
Finally...
quote:
All parents have a statutory right to withdraw their children from all or part of sex education lessons, but not from statutory science lessons
Erm, WHY?
Anyways, what do people think?

[ 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King Joey
Neophyte
Member # 32380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC is usually trust worthy as it is a government based company. What would have happened is they interviewed a set group of teenages i dont know if it quotes figures, e.g. 1000 teenagers.

I think everyone needs to learn the basics,
although it shouldnt just be the schools responsibility, parents should play an active role in delivering such education.

However sites such as this one are a good source for sex ed.

--------------------
Its not what we say that makes us who we are, its what we do.

Posts: 23 | From: England - Royaume Uni | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only sex ed I got that came from school was the woefully typical "penis goes here and only here, sperm and egg do yada yada, WHAM! there's a baby!, if you're not abstinent until you're out of college you'll lose all respect, get an STD, and then DIE" spiel, but even worse because from my teacher this year I got it with euphamisms. We did have a Planned Parenthood worker come in on the last day of Health and talk to us about sex readiness and different kinds of sex, and let me tell you I could have kissed her. Finally, someone who can say "masturbation" without a wrinkled up nose and uncomfortable giggle!

I was incredibly lucky to get parents who are up on the whole sex ed deal, and to stumble across this loverly site, but too many people just plain aren't. I think it is absolutely, one hundred percent schools' responsibility to provide complete and correct sex education as a mandantory course. By no means is it only thier responsibility, parents should talk to their kids about sex as well, but it is something that schools and the government need to take care of. Because often people don't get good information from their parents. Either parents are uncomfortable talking to their kids about sex, or they provide information that just isn't accurate. It's a real problem when a fifteen-year-old girl doesn't even know what vaginal fluids are (true story!).

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carolyn
Neophyte
Member # 24422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carolyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parents have the right to withdraw their children from any sort of education in the U.S. if they so choose, most schools often a showing of sex ed materials (videos, books, whatnot) to parents before the lecture so they can decide if they want their child there or not. Alot of this is about the fact of presenting the information in a different way, especially depending on what religion (if any) you follow, influences your opinions on sex.

In the U.S. abstinence only (no sex until marriage) programs recieve extra federal funding, which is one reason why most schools don't offer comprehensive sex ed (accurate info on stds, etc.).

Posts: 8 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.