Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » new U.S. head of family planning anti-contraception

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new U.S. head of family planning anti-contraception
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted this in the blog the other day, but wanted to make sure y'all saw it.

(And yes: in any other administration an oxymoron like this -- like, I don't know, the head of the Beef lobby being vegan, or the person in charge of the economy feeling we should all be trading in cowry shells and stating that anything else is not okay -- would seem strange. So sad we've come to expect this sort of thing at this point.)

quote:
The Bush administration has appointed a new chief of family-planning programs at the Department of Health and Human Services who worked at a Christian pregnancy-counseling organization that regards the distribution of contraceptives as "demeaning to women."

Eric Keroack, medical director for A Woman's Concern, a nonprofit group based in Dorchester, Mass., will become deputy assistant secretary for population affairs in the next two weeks, department spokeswoman Christina Pearson said yesterday.

Keroack, an obstetrician-gynecologist, will advise Secretary Mike Leavitt on matters such as reproductive health and adolescent pregnancy. He will oversee $283 million in annual family-planning grants that, according to HHS, are "designed to provide access to contraceptive supplies and information to all who want and need them with priority given to low-income persons."

The appointment, which does not require Senate confirmation, was the latest provocative personnel move by the White House since Democrats won control of Congress in this month's midterm elections. President Bush last week pushed the Senate to confirm John R. Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations and this week renominated six candidates for appellate court judgeships who have previously been blocked by lawmakers. Democrats said the moves belie Bush's post-election promises of bipartisanship.

The Keroack appointment angered many family-planning advocates, who noted that A Woman's Concern supports sexual abstinence until marriage, opposes contraception and does not distribute information promoting birth control at its six centers in eastern Massachusetts.

"A Woman's Concern is persuaded that the crass commercialization and distribution of birth control is demeaning to women, degrading of human sexuality and adverse to human health and happiness," the group's Web site says. (More here at The Washington Post.)

There are some other links on the blog post, including links to information such as Keroack stating (completely fallacious non-science) things like that "promiscuous women are unable to form lasting relationships because they have used up all of their "bonding" hormones on casual sex," and that" distribution of birth control is demeaning to women, degrading of human sexuality and adverse to human health and happiness."

This is a big deal for the obvious reasons -- the family planning department is supposed to help with programs like Title X, which include getting birth control available to women -- but also because it seems likely Bush was grandstanding to show that the new congress can't keep him from doing what he wants: Congress doesn't get a vote on appointments like this.

There is a petition at NOW against his appointment here, and you can also just write the white house directly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahh jebus...

(I wonder if the Prez uses birth control, or if he's just invirile...)

[ 11-19-2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: iheartdc ]

Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my goodness, this is soooo scary.

Can I sign the petition even if I live in Canada?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good.

It's signed and sent now.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good Lord, I think I'm going to throw up.

I hate this administration. So much.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorCal
Neophyte
Member # 31575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell?? I mean, give me a break, do we have to keep taking such huge steps backward? How do these conservative, small minded, aging white guys keep getting into power? It is so oxymoronic!!! I signed the petition and sent it to others to sign. We can't turn our backs for a moment...even in the US.
Posts: 13 | From: Ca, USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that he's a man who heads an organization called "A Woman's Concern," I guess this fellow is well practiced in oxymorons.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

quote:
We can't turn our backs for a moment...even in the US.
I'm afraid that when it comes to reproductive rights and this adminstration, we're clearly at the point where it's not "even in the US," but ESPECIALLY in the US.

I wish I could say that's tragic, but really, we don't have a great history when it comes to women's issues and the treatment of women (think about the torture some of the suffragettes had to endure, for instance, just to get the simple right to vote). Certainly better than in some areas, but there are nations where it's always been worlds better then here. Hell, we still can't even get the bloody ERA passed. [Frown]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.