Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Dirty song lyrics can prompt early teen sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dirty song lyrics can prompt early teen sex?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14227775/

A study was done, and they seem to have found that teens who listen to music with sexually degrading messages are more likely to participate in sexual activity sooner than their peers.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a classic rule of thumb with statistics - correlation doesn't show causation.

The study suggests that the teens who are likely to listen to music with "degrading sexual messages" are also those likely to have sex early.

It doesn't show that one is causing the other - both could be caused by other factors, like pre-existing attitudes towards sex.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And kids who consistently listen to classical music at an early age tend to have higher IQ's. ... I dunno. (Me and my bros didn't listen to any post-60s rock until we were in junior high; I don't know if that made us smart, but it did take me a while to catch up on all the great power ballads).

This sort of thing is probably used as hash by those infamous conservative groups who know that their audiences will assume that correlation shows causation.

You could argue that the lyrics lower teens' inhibitions. But you could also argue that some of those 14 year olds who listen to the most hardcore rap are the ones who don't have much parental support in other areas, which leads them to early/unprotected/involuntary sexual experiences.

those where sexual references are more veiled and relationships appear more committed
This sort of thinking helps to facilitate the backlash against teenagers who are sexually active, if it's taken out of context. "Veiled" -restricting information from teenagers; "committed" relationships - marriage.
What's forbidden is compulsory, y'know...

It weirds me out that a number of American adults and think tanks have taken such a vested interest in quantifying and analyzing teenagers' sexual experience with the end result that anything outside of "sex in adulthood" is bad.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whiskeyginger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think people are just trying to have the media be the scapegoat for all of our problems. Sometimes you have to look at society, our communities and parenting skills, or lack there of. I have a bunch of cartoons from the '40s-'50s that I bought for a $1 each on DVD. In one of them Daffy Duck took a mallet to Adolf Hitlers head then blew him up. That's a hell of a lot more violent then any cartoon I have seen for kids in the past 10 years. I don't see any cartoons of Osama or Sadamm being murdered that are geared towards kids.
All I am saying is violence, vulgarity and the kid in class whos older brother told him about sex are inevitable. They have been and will always be. What we can do is educate. And talk to our kids and make sex not a dirty/bad thing, but something that people only engage in when they think its the right time for them.

--------------------
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posts: 36 | From: HustlinEverywhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlain
Neophyte
Member # 30581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caitlain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question would be, "So what?" As long as the sex is safe and consensual, what difference would it make?

As someone above indicated, correlation =/= causation.

Posts: 38 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whiskeyginger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
because in some states you are not legally allowed to have sex until 16. So it can make a differnce. I know in Mass. they charged two kids for having sex underage like last year.

--------------------
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posts: 36 | From: HustlinEverywhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlain
Neophyte
Member # 30581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caitlain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Whiskeyginger:
because in some states you are not legally allowed to have sex until 16. So it can make a differnce. I know in Mass. they charged two kids for having sex underage like last year.

In South Carolina, females can legally have sex at 14. This is a red herring argument anyway.
Posts: 38 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's try and keep the discussion on topic, shall we? If you want to discuss AOC laws, there are plenty of topics. Just search this forum.

Thanks!

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd step beyond the concern of just safe (which it often is not for the youngest teens) and consensual to earnestly WANTED and BENEFICIAL. Doing what we've done here for almost eight years now, one thing we have so often seen are younger sexually active teens having sex that really isn't physically or emotionally beneficial to them, and/or consent that is given...but not very enthusiastically.

But ultimately, with something like this, I think that it's likely that when we are seeing a relationship between earlier sexual activity and media it likely has a whole lot to do with the ability to put that meida in conext, just like the correlations we sometimes see between media and violence.

In other words, is the conceern really the MUSIC, or is the concern children and young teens -- or anyone, for that matter -- not having a culture and community which helps them put it into context, which helps them learn to interpret and question media and not take it as a directive?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's altogether too easy to blame new forms of entertainment and technology for the ills of today's youth. It's a repeating cycle, from the waltz to telephones to comic books to video games to music. Playing the blame game is easy, people would rather not think that their children were exposed to this material despite their supervision.

If a child got into their parent's liquor cabinet and got drunk and ill, the parents would be blamed for not securing their alchohol rather than the alchohol itself (because a lot of the members of the "moral police" drink alchohol and wouldn't want something they enjoy blamed). Similarly, if a child is bored and has nothing to do and happens to stumble upon a channel on TV which shows the music videos of such songs, parents/carers should be responcible also. It is up to them to explain why certain things are innapropriate and up to a point, regulate what their child is exposed to.

--------------------
Argumentum Ad Misericordiam

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
(I don't quite know if this got a lot to do with this thread but I thought it was somehow linked so I posted it here instead of starting another thread about that. Sorry if you guys think it was not the case)

But what do you guys think about all the artists trying to make like abstinence songs ?

Like self-power, abstinence song such as Avril Lavigne's don't tell me (which some people mostly see as an abstinence song although I don't really see it like that, more as saying to have sex only when you feel ready to), Fefe Dobson's give it up and all those songs.

Do you guys think that kind of music got an influence also on teenagers? Because aside from describing their personnal experiences, I think they hope at the same time to shed a positive messages among teenage girls. They hope to make a change.

So do you guys think they're able to do that with their songs ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bebop Bodhisattva
Neophyte
Member # 30879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bebop Bodhisattva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cool87:
(I don't quite know if this got a lot to do with this thread but I thought it was somehow linked so I posted it here instead of starting another thread about that. Sorry if you guys think it was not the case)

But what do you guys think about all the artists trying to make like abstinence songs ?

Like self-power, abstinence song such as Avril Lavigne's don't tell me (which some people mostly see as an abstinence song although I don't really see it like that, more as saying to have sex only when you feel ready to), Fefe Dobson's give it up and all those songs.

Do you guys think that kind of music got an influence also on teenagers? Because aside from describing their personnal experiences, I think they hope at the same time to shed a positive messages among teenage girls. They hope to make a change.

So do you guys think they're able to do that with their songs ?

That's all predicated on the assumption that abstinence is something good. It's not inherently good, what's good is people having sex when they want to instead of when the people around them do.

There is an inherent contradiction in making music that tells teenagers to resist peer pressure while simultaneously telling them what to do. Just like those unintentionally hilarious "Above the Influence" commercials. Government-funded propaganda telling kids to think for themselves and just do what the Ad Council tells them.

--------------------
"This war all around us is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad Dumier, Deus Ex

Posts: 25 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the research article that is referenced in the MSNBC report from the original post.

Interestingly enough, sensation seeking (which accounts for a good bit of the variance, we already know) was measured but not entered into their analysis. That bothers the nerd in me more than a bit.

(Takes off nerd hat) [Smile]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.