Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Relationships.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » something to say/ask reguarding "Going Steady" from Miss Lauren

Author Topic: something to say/ask reguarding "Going Steady" from Miss Lauren
floridian2x
Activist
Member # 22484

Icon 5 posted      Profile for floridian2x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I posted this yesterday, but I don't think anyone saw it, so I'm posting a new topic about it just to get some feed back because it would really help me a lot

quote:
I've asked almost all of the older adults in my life, and they agree that things have certainly changed, for the most part. Back when my parents and grandparents were young, they would date several people at a time, for light-hearted fun. The ones who went together exclusively were "going steady".

Certainly, there were some young people who got serious even in those times, but it seems that the number has exponentially increased since then. Rarely do I hear among my peers incidences of open relationships. Anybody who engages in them is quick to be labelled a "player" or "slut".

I guess I'm looking for opinions. Do you think that young people are under more pressure these days to lock down and stay in one monogamous relationship, regardless of the quality? If so, where do you think the pressure is coming from? If not, please give your take.

Hey all!!

I have something to say to this quote...

My boyfriend and I are in a steady relationship, and we really couldn't be happier. We've been together for about 1 year and 7 months. We always talk about the future together, and we enjoy that. It makes us both happy. His parents know that we've talked about this, but mine do not. -And once my mom said that I shouldn't be so serious with him, that I should date more people... that "You will have plenty more boyfriends." She doesn't understand that I don't want to take a break from my boyfriend now, just to date other guys and see how they are. Nor do I want to have like 3 boyfriends at the same time. (Which I kind of got that vibe from her)

It makes me mad that my mom wants that. (or seems to be hinting it... maybe I'm getting the wrong vibe...but either way..) I don't know why she can't just let me live my own life... Yes, I'm young.. almost 17, but still! Its my relationship with my boyfriend, we couldn't be happier, and its not me to have a bunch of boyfriends at the same time, or to dump the man who I'm happiest with, just to see how some other guy is!

Please someone tell me your opinion on this.. it would be greatly appreciated [Big Grin] [Smile] ... if you want to know anything else, feel free to ask

--------------------
--the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return--

Posts: 133 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't have much to do with Sexual Ethics and Politics. It's more of a Relationships sort of question, so I'll send it over there.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.