Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Save Nazanin: Victim facing Execution

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Save Nazanin: Victim facing Execution
StrawberrySafeSex
Activist
Member # 26300

Icon 4 posted      Profile for StrawberrySafeSex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to everyone, especially Scarleteen administrators/volunteers.

It seems there is a situation in Karaj, Iran where:

"Nazanin Fatehi, who was sentenced to death on January 3, 2006, may be hanged within the week. She was 17 at the time of an attempted rape and is facing execution for an act of self-defence for accidentally stabbing to death one of the three men who attempted to rape her and her 16-year old niece in a park..."

I found this from my University's (the University of Winnipeg) main website urging all post-secondary students and citizens in North America to take action against this impending execution. This is a secure site, and is not in any way untrue.

There is an online petition available for signing, which gives the option of keeping your name private or public.

I urge you all to follow the links and do your part.

Thank you!

Full article from U of W: University of Winnipeg Press Release
Direct link to petition: Petition Online

Posts: 59 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saddened by this news. To me it doesn't matter whether she fatally stabbed a man or just harmed him; self-defense is self-defense.

Unfortunately, however, we're talking about a country that generally has differing points of view on women. As much as we all care, and hope that justice will happen, I'm afraid that what a good many people write in an online petition won't carry much weight with any government.

If I knew it could, I'd be with you all the way.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think that online petitions don't have a lot of effect, but snail mail certainly can - it's what Amnesty International has based its work around, and many countries have bowed to international pressure.

In this case, the people to write to (according to AI) are:

Leader of the Islamic Republic
His Excellency Ayatollah Sayed ‘Ali Khamenei
The Presidency
Palestine Avenue
Azerbaijan Intersection
Tehran
Islamic Republic of Iran

Fax: + 98 21 649 5880
(Please mark "For the attention of the Office of His Excellency, Ayatollah al Udhma Khamenei, Qom")

Salutation: Your Excellency

Head of the Judiciary
His Excellency Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi
Ministry of Justice
Park-e Shahr
Tehran
Islamic Republic of Iran

Salutation: Your Excellency

Amnesty International's letter-writing guide has very good advice for writing this sort of letter:

http://www.amnesty.org/campaign/letter-guide.html

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.