Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » My Teacher Plugging Anti-Choice Material *TRIGGER*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Teacher Plugging Anti-Choice Material *TRIGGER*
BeauteAmericai
Neophyte
Member # 21650

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BeauteAmericai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My jaw nearly dropped to the floor this morning when I logged into one of my new online classes for this semester an hour ago. My Ethics class is a joke. In her "intro" to the abortion controversy she states the topic as this : "Is killing an unborn child wrong?" I'm not kidding. There was a blatant agenda, not even a hidden one. Half the body of the text pertains to Catholicism and only once is a pro choice even mentioned in brief as this: "After the procedure, most women report troubling feelings of sadness and cripping emotions when being around babies...some claim feeling 'relief'." and she actually put relief in quotations as though that feeling was less credible than those pertaining to an anti-choice side.

She talks about a Rachel program through the Catholic Church which helps women get through the pain of having killed their babies, encouraging them to name the fetuses and ask for forgiveness.

Isn't this a violation of the separation of church and state??? This is a public community college. The teacher is indeed a reverend but it is the responsibility of a teacher to remove her opinion from a brief overview of the two sides on a controversial issue...right???

Am I way off base here? What can I do in this situation? I'm appalled.

------------------
"I'm as pure as the driven slush" Tallulah Bankhead

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A community college is a private enterprise -- even though it has public enrollemnt -- not a government institution, so chaurch/state issues really wouldn't be at play here.

Per school policies, you'd have to look that up. Most colleges will have discrimination/defamation policies, and that's most likely what I'd see applying here, if anything. But chances are, your prof's bias is allowed, and in that case, you absolutely can challenge her on it in class. If, however, you find that her bias isn't conducive to the process of your education, is disruptive TO the class, you could file a complaint with the school.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alternatively, if you don't feel you are going to be allowed to have constructive fair debate in this class, you could always see if you're allowed to switch to a different class, since it's so early in the semester.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even at the community college level, instructors are protected by academic free speech. If you choose to stay in the class, you are encouraged to challenge their rhetoric. It's only if she docks your grade for disagreeing with her that you may contest the grade in the class.

I found a lot of classes at my university objectionable (particularly the ones that were built around denouncing Israel), but I always thought the instructors had a right to teach them. Chalk it up to intellectual diversity and opportunities for students to speak up and debate.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeauteAmericai
Neophyte
Member # 21650

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BeauteAmericai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I didn't know such blatant bias was allowed. I wrote her a lengthy e-mail concerning how much this could negatively influence free thought in a class. I did switch classes but now I'm worried this could be just as bad??? I think it is possible to separate religion and ethics as I've known "pro life/anti choice" atheists but apparantly she doesn't see it this way.

------------------
"I'm as pure as the driven slush" Tallulah Bankhead

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course it is, really. The class is on ethics, which is all about opinion, essentially. That includes hers, too.

I would encourage you to challenge this stuff in class, especially given your other post: learning how to do that is part of education, anyway, and that actually makes situations like this a real boon, because they provide an opportunity to do that.

And you can talk about things like where religion and morality do and don't intersect, etc.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BetterSitUp
Neophyte
Member # 20367

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BetterSitUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly agree with Mz. Scarlet. College is a place to learn new things, not only the stuff in textbooks and on finals, but also how to deal with life in general. Part of "growing up" is learning to respect other peoples opinions, and to stand up for your own in a proper way. Just because you do not agree with your professor's views does not mean that yours have to be stifled.

Take this class as an opportunity to grow as a person. However, if you are worried that your proffesor might dock your grade simply because your views conflict, I'd reccomend visiting the dean or whoever is in charge (I'm not really sure how community colleges are set up.)

------------------
"She's the blade and you're
the paper." ~Sugarcult

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atheistvet
Neophyte
Member # 27176

Icon 10 posted      Profile for atheistvet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the mind is the ultimate location of freedom & anyone who preaches or tries to force their ideas like Vatican falsehoods on abortion are enemies of the mind, as well as reproductive freedoms....these zealots for zygotes are such violent ignorant hypocrites....they make allegations for their alleged deity/ies as if they were declaring two plus 2 equals four yet we all know they really stand for one equals 3!.....what about all the two week fertilized ova that get flushed down the toilet or landfilled? What about the "life" that began with conception but did not implant in any uterus? All they want is to control other people & their bodies no less differently than the slave masters of the South, no wonder the red states are mostly there. Love can only be voluntary. Violence negates any love equation. Rape, date rape, being objectified as mere "vaginal respirators" as I heard some males say of women .... just hours or weeks after being lied to for love by such a monster & they want more laws to force women to carry such progeny to term? The Vatican only wants to hide the long history of crime with all this sex talk. Fundamentalists just want to control people too for a ten per cent collection plate as motive. Heaven bribes & hell threats are not much worth the price of such admission. Sex ed must be scientific, unbiased & all about safety, caring & trust.
Puberty ought to be about a gentle voyage of discovery & growth. NOT HELLFIRE, guilt & pseudo morality which is a poor substitute for ethics. Bring back Jocelyn Elders Surgeon General who tried to prevent the most preventable of all STD's teaching clean masturbation to prevent Human Papilloma Virus transmission by women themselves or from their partners.

------------------
Theocracy is Treason, keep laws off our bodies, make love, not war. Alleged deities are concepts of brainwashing for profits & crimes.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so vet, do you support academic freedom?

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like religious tolerance...

Clearly you have your opinions AtheistVet. Clearly others have their own too. Calling the Vatican "zealots for zygotes" and "Violent ignorant hypocrites", who just want control is a bid...well, extreme, even if you disagree with them, or to whatever degree such adjectives are accurate and true.

I disagree with the principles of Christianity, but I won't throw it in anyones face, accuse anybody of spreading falsehoods, or do anything other then say "I believe this, for these reasons."

------------------
I am a 17 year old male practitioner of BDSMLNOPQRSTUV...
LeVay Satanism composes approximately 40% of my religious beliefs. I agree with approximately 40% of LeVay Satanism.
I am a sadist (60%) I am a masochist (40%)
I am bisexual, or bipermissive. (75% heterosexual, 25% homosexual).

I seek no conflict outside my bedroom walls.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.