Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Hello Mrs. Miers (Roe vs. Wade)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Mrs. Miers (Roe vs. Wade)
Ketzicle
Neophyte
Member # 18620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ketzicle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared. I admit it.

I check the news every now and then, and although I'm not really a political buff, I do like to watch things which pertain to me. That includes abortion.

It pleases me to know Scarleteen is Pro-Choice. I'm Pro-Choice, but not just for abortion. I believe people should be able to make their own choices. It's personal freedom.

However, hearing the news of our new court justice and potential court justice is making me edgy. From what I've read, they won't be able to overturn Roe vs. Wade, but it does seem like they'll make some changes nonetheless.

Can I hear some views on this? Does anyone think Roe vs. Wade will be overturned? Could someone please comfort me, if there is any comfort worth giving?

------------------
"Nail in my hand,
From my creator.
You gave me life now
Show me how to live."
~Audioslave, 'Show Me How To Live'

Posts: 14 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, if Roe vs Wade is overturned, it will be because it infringes on state's rights. Each state has the right to govern itself, make stricter laws than the whole country, etc.

Will it happen? I don't know. Before we begin fretting about Meirs, lets see if she even makes it past committee. From what I've heard, that's really unlikely.

Also, keep in mind, for anything to be overturned, it must be challenged before the Supreme Court. While many disagree with Roe vs Wade, I can't recall anyone actually wanting to officially challenge it before the Court. I could be completey wrong on that, though.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll also note that Roe v. Wade was decided as an issue of privacy, not on the legality of abortion itself. The way it was decided, I believe, will mkae it more difficult and less likely to overturn, try as some might.

I'll also admit, however, that I AM wary about what's going to happen with the Supreme Court, but that's a long and tiring discussion I'm not that eager to get into.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the situation with supreme court, especially very the situation with abortion rights to be worrying. However, no one can really know just how conservative Miers is as she was never a judge before and doesn't have any real judgement record to her name. I can hope that she turns out less conservative than it seems. Personally, I'm sad to see Justice O'Connor retiring from the supreme court. She was the swing vote on issues such as abortion and the death penalty and was the first woman to be on the supreme court.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justice O'Connor was also the ONLY Justice to even touch on the real issue of a case that involved sexual rights of homosexuals. (I don't remember the name of the case on hand, we went over it in Const. Law, but that was a year ago)

This is going to be a bit vague because I've really gone braindead on the case exactly, but it basically involved an issue of homosexual rights, and the way the case was decided by majority was in favor of the group, but the decision was also a bit shakier to really stick to constitutionality.

The way the case should have been decided (and really was the firmer constitutional decision) was presented by O'Connor. The thing is, the decision she presented would have been an exact decision to why gay marriage is completely constituionally legal. The reason the majority decided the case the way they did was to pass the case to support the homosexual right, but to avoid addressing the topic of gay marriage then and there (which they would have had to done if they had gone O'Connor's route).

I honestly believed that while it was basically a sure thing Reihnquist would have to be replaced during this term, none of the other justices would resign until next term.
That may have been naive of me, though.

Hm, if I can find that case (or if anyone else knows the one I'm taling about) I'll try and put it up. I'll have to dig through my old papers and see if i still have it or if I can find it on Find Law or something.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm expecting this nomination to get shot down like a punk on the wrong corner in Compton.

Democrats aren't in a tizzy, but they're pretty much stacked up against Miers. But then you've got the Republicans who are rioting in Congress because Miers is a neophyte with no experience as a judge whatsoever.

She ain't gonna make it. I'm willing to put large sums of money on this.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gummy's right. She didn't make it. She's dropped her nomination today.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should've made that bet. easy money.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we have to worry about the new guy John Roberts, I believe.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Roberts I can almost deal with.

It's Alito I don't trust.

------------------
Treat with respect the power you have to form an opinion--Marcus Aurelius

Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

I agree completely, Alito really scares me.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And he should scare anyone with any concern about reproductive rights.

One choice quote found from Alito: "What can be made of this opportunity to advance the goals of bringing about the eventual overruling of Roe v. Wade and, in the meantime, of mitigating its effects?"
http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/about/newsroom/pressrelease/pr11302005_alitomemo.cfm

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue eyed girl
Neophyte
Member # 26449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue eyed girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the day alito looks at a positive pregnancy test and is confronted with the decision that, thanks to roe vs wade is not as complex and heartbreaking as it used to be, will be the day he has even the slightest bit of imput on the choices that others make.
Posts: 6 | From: nj | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm...huh?

(I earnestly have no idea what you're trying to say. Not only is Roe Vs. Wade not untouchable, it also isn't the sole law that protects reproductive choice. Alito doesn't need to...be pregnant? Or female to impact these issues.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-oh....Alito Sworn In As Justice (from the New York Times online)
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think activism needs to go to the state level. if you truly believe it's the end of Roe, then you should be keen to realize that this sends the decision back to the states. The states will decide on how to regulate abortion. So lobby hard to put pro-choice pols into the legislature.

i live in California. The chances of abortion being banned here are even less likely than having snow fall in Los Angeles tomorrow.

------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.