Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Availability of emergency contraception - Aussie story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Availability of emergency contraception - Aussie story
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello doc, I'm looking for the Morning After Pill." (I had a pretty stressed out face when I said that aswell, because I was damn nervous)

(The doc was slightly shocked but continued) "Is that for yourself?"

"Yes indeed"

"There are two pills you have to take, one now and one 12 hours later. I have to warn you that it doesn't work as well if 72 hours passed and it doesn't work if you are already pregnant"

"Thanks, but I know"

"Ok, just give me your first and last name" (Why does HE need my first and last name? Nobody asks when they sell condoms or other contraceptives, it's none of his business what my name is)

"Alex... er... (I gave him a fake last name) Wake".

"Ok" (he walks off)It's 30 bucks.

"WHAT? Any generics?"

"No, only one company makes them"

"Crap. (I only had 20). Well, it's been less than 12 hours so I can come back later with a 30"

Now, this doesn't make sense. I went with my mother to by the pill for her, they asked her if she wanted a generic, and dug around the shelves because there are many brands and types. I needed something very urgent, and the pharmacist didn't know what happened to me - I could have been a rape victim or I could have woken up after 3 days of hard drinking (none of those apply, thankfully). Not everyone has 30 bucks. I could have gone to a doctor and gotten a prescription, which would have made the pill cheaper, BUT it's a catch 22 as I didn't have enough money for an appointment and it costs more to see a doctor than it does to buy a pack of MAPs. Condoms are cheap. Walk into any supermarket, or a bathroom which has a condom vending machine, and for as little as 6 dollars a pack you can have this trusty contraceptive. There are many brands of the pill, injections, but why is it so lopsided against something as essential as the MAP?

------------------
OH NO! THE CRIMINAL IN CRIMSON IS OUT ON THE LOOSE! Warning: The said individual dresses in a bright red tuxedo and carries a cartoonishly large red pencil. Upon sighting a frowning person the said individual corners them and doodles all over their face. Beware.

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. If I were a doctor, I would want to know to whom I was prescribing a powerful drug. There is a great deal of difference between a passive barrier (condom) and a powerful pharamaceutical.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 11-11-2004).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To give a person a prescription, rather than over the counter, drug, personal information IS required.

That's not at all abnormal, and is essentially a legal issue, and often one which not only protects the prescriber but can give a user legal recourse for the manufacturer if needed.

And to my knowledge, no generic formulas of the MAP are yet on the market.

As well, a rape vistim, if she reports in many areas, isn't going to have to pay antyhing at all for the MAP: it should be offerred and given to her by the health pro she's assigned when she is immediately given a health exam and other services.

So, no, not everyone has thirty bucks. But someone who was drinking for three days solid certainly had at least thirty bucks, and someone choosing to be sexually active, especially heterosexually active, should indeed have at least that much, at all times.

Mind you, in my utopia ALL forms of birth control wouldn't have a cost, but well...we don't live in my utopia.

Course, you can be proactive: write letters to your government leaders explaining WHY you feel EC access is important and HOW you think they can reasonably make it more accessible.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.