Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Governor McGreevey...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Governor McGreevey...
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He comes out of the closet, admits to having an affair, announces his resignation, and is accused of sexual harassment by his former director of homeland security--all in a matter of days. On top of it all, he may have attempted to bribe the man accusing him of sexual harassment.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It isn't unheard of for politicians to abuse their power, no matter what their sexual orientation. The conservatives have used this as evidence for their argument that "homosexuality is destroying the institution of marriage," which also irks me.

This really disturbs me because rarely do openly gay people appear in the news as model citizens or role models, or that sort of thing. Come to think of it, openly gay people rarely appear in the media at all (unless they're on Queer Eye). Gay people get far too little exposure for all of it to be bad like this.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But why come out in the middle of a scandal? What's the purpose of that? Did he sexually harass someone because of his orientation? Does who someone's attracted to have anything whatsoever to do with their morals?

There are a ton of good, honest, kind gay people out there, just as there are good, honest, straight people, but when someone's receiving attention for a good deed, their sexual orientation really isn't relevant. Same for people who do bad things. If newspapers talked about how a gay man saved kittens from a burning building, or how a heterosexual woman started her own business, it might seem that the queer population was more fairly represented, but the tendency to assume someone's hetereosexual unless you've been told otherwise is popping up here too.

Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

You who're so good with words
And at keeping things vague

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, the NJ conservatives I've discussed this with (and there's quite a few out there) assert that the big issue is NOT the man's sexual orientation. It's that he was corrupt and was involved in some money scandals when this harrassment thing came to a head. Saying he's leaving because he's been outed is a much easier way out than saying he's leaving because he's an alleged money-laundering crook. That, and there's sympathy for the gay man who loses his job because of his orientation. There's no sympathy for the same man if he's been pilfering the petty cash.

LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information for Los Angeles County residents.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandcannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This did something that was severely wrong. His being gay has nothing to do with it. No matter what side of the gay rights issue your on, he did some very evil things. So instead of turning this into a civil rights issue, lets prosecute this man for his illegal activities.

Love is the art of controling something that your not sure exists

Posts: 30 | From: Rockville, MD | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.