Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Limits on contraception in Argentina

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Limits on contraception in Argentina
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a semi-frequent reader of news, articles, and reports from Human Rights Watch and saw onje this morning that I thought might interest some readers here as well.

(For those who don't know about HRW) Human Rights Watch has always been, to me, a very open and involved orginization to what's happening around the world that we as human beings should be aware of, as these actions impose upon or affect our human rights. They not only have information about many of the world's ethnic and military and violence and war and poverty conflicts, but also have articles concerning violence against women and women's rights to proper health care including the right of choice with their bodies and their reproductive health.

This article concerns Argentinian bans and limits on contraceptive methods, abortion, proper health care, and violence and discrimination towards women associated with these topics.

As a U.S. citizen who does have very good access to health care and contraceptive methods, I believe it is interesting to see more into why this accessibility IS so important to us and why many may take it for granted. Those of us in the U.S., Canada, and England, to name the three main countries this board's members come from, do not have to face the same sort of troubles as women do in many other countries as far as getting proper care and contraception and not being treated violently or discriminated against when we seek out these services (or at very least, certainly not to the extent women in countries such as Argentina are).

I think this article is also a good example of why it is so important we strive to KEEP these services available to us and be aware and supportive of women in other countries who need other voices to speak out for them to allow them to have the same rights we do for their own health and well-being.

Thoughts?

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizenny
Activist
Member # 22661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...with 40% of all those pregnancies being unwanted and ending in unsafe abortion you would think something would be done about it like preventing it from ever being necessary. I can't see how a country can just sit pretty with a statistic like that.

"The head of the hospital told me (sterilization) was the same as having an abortion."

I think that just goes to show the importance of accurate information about health; sexual and otherwise. Misinformation is still a reality that those of us in the most developed countries still deal with to varying degrees. B.S. has unlimited potential. This makes me more aware of the possibility of something like this happening where I live. With the recent incidences of pharmacists refusing to dispense birth control pills I don't doubt it as much as I used to. Looking at how far some places have come from states like that of Argentina I just hope that the more enlightened nations don't slip backwards.

------------------
You catch more flies with manure than you do with honey.

Posts: 110 | From: Worcester MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.