Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Voluntary Human Extinction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voluntary Human Extinction?
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Voluntary Human Extinction

I found this site last night, and I'm pretty sure it's for real. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to discuss it at Scarleteen (even though I'm scared of Sexual Ethics and Politics because I always say stupid things!), because it does relate to reproduction, I suppose.
So what do you think about it? I think it actually makes a lot of sense, but it so strongly goes against human instincts that I can't imagine that many people would choose it.
Just thought we could have a discussion about it here.

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny how many people seem to beleive that the death of the human race is the only way to help the Earth survive. Surely this must be the last laugh of all extremist political movements. You don't get ideologies much more destructive than this. Atleast this site seems to be ummm... comparatively non-aggressive. I would prefer to call it a branch of ultra-nihilism or perhaps "mortuism."

Human's have got a lot of bad press in recent times and not without reason but in my opinion these sort of movements are completely insane. Its only in the last 200 years or so that we started to cause any major damage the Earth. Before then, we were completely stupidly aggressive to each other but the animal world survived fine.

People have not identified the problem closely enough because humanity is not the cause of the worlds problems. Do they really want to destroy the most advanced species evolution has ever produced? The same one that produced such great works of art, philosophies and poetry? Lets give ourselves a break and say "Yes we have managed some great achievements on our still short stay in existence."

If we allowed ourselves to die out, what do you think the next dominant species will do when it comes along? Do you think it will necessarily think twice before it destroys any species in finds easy to prey on or exploit? The human race is only just starting to grow up and they want to kill it off now?

Since this is a thread of extremist beliefs, I feel I am allowed to post blatant propagandist messages about my chosen not completely extreme idealogy. The thing that makes us destroy the environment? capitalism! Now we have the power to change the world, what do we do with it? We make money out of it and otherise ignore it! That is what must be destroyed, not human beings themselves.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from the page:

quote:
VHEMT Volunteers are realistic. We know we'll never see the day there are no human beings on the planet. Ours is a
long-range goal.

Had to think about that one for a moment.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Warning: Rants Ahead)
I think it's a good idea, but not to the point of eliminating the entire human species. Instead, we should try to reduce our numbers to something more managable. Come on, 6 odd billion people is a bit much, but we should still keep our species going, if only for fear of worse destroyers to replace us.
(End Rant)

------------------
Don't ask me about my day. Please.

I'm not one to pay attention to anything going on, unless it's in my way. -Koeki_14

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "movement" seems a bit extreme to me. I could understand trying to get the human population down by choosing to not have kids, or if someone wanted a child they could adopt. Or maybe people could just choose not to have huge families with 5 or 6 kids.
Either way though, no one is going to agree to either of those ideas. But maybe in the future, we'll figure out how to expand onto different planets, which I think would be much cooler.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could understand trying to get the human population down by choosing to not have kids, or if someone wanted a child they could adopt. Or maybe people could just choose not to have huge families with 5 or 6 kids.
Either way though, no one is going to agree to either of those ideas.

Actually, quite a few people choose to adopt instead of having biological kids, either out of concern about over-population or from a sense that it's wrong to bring more children into the world while there are already so many kids in need of families.

And of course many people choose to limit the number of children they have, for various reasons. Not everyone wants a huge family.

So I think it's inaccurate to say that "no one is going to agree to either of those ideas".

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.