Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Free Condoms- Is it Such a Big Deal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free Condoms- Is it Such a Big Deal?
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess there is some big hubbabaloo among parents recently about their kids getting free condoms in the mail. There's a website- freecondoms.com that will send free condoms and lubricant to you in an unmarked package if you earn a certain amount of points on that website. Company websites for Trojan and Durex and the likes also will send free samples to anyone in unmarked packages. I think it's a good thing.

But parents aren't so happy about it. Let me tell you, MY parents weren't too happy when I got a free condom from Trojan in the mail- the package was just plain brown but they recognized the label on the package as something they were warned about on Dateline or 20/20 or something like that. So I was caught. And I plead innocence. And they believed me. Ha.

But that's beside the point. See, for kids like me who want to have sex (and safer sex most definitely) yet have insanely religious parents, open and honest communication about sex is OUT OF THE QUESTION! No, my parents would not KILL me, but they'd come awful close. So us kids have to be sneaky about the buying of condoms and the like.

Again, that is beside the point. What do YOU think? Should these companies be allowed to send free condoms to kids? I know that ideally, parents and kids could openly communicate about sex, but that's not real life. Anywho, yeah. Your opinion? Do you have one?

Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, imho, parents getting pissed off is a very compelling reason to hold off on having sex. sex in itself is risky and carries consequences. punishment, admonishment, or reprimands from the parents are a consequence that you have to weigh when decidingwhether you're ready to go for it or not.

It's nice that you're able to get condoms for yourself, but lying to your folks isn't exactly the most ethical thing to do (this is sex ethics and pols, after all).

But should the folks fuss about getting rubber in the mail? imho no. they're rubber. it's not like you're ordering illicit drugs over the 'net or buying bomb components from rogue dealers via mail order. and it's certainly not anthrax in those parcels, so that's a welcome relief.

i was collecting rubbers long before i ever needed to use them. I think it's a good habit to be into.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think in alot of ways its very good idea. i'm sure many teens are embarrassed about buying condoms, and would rather risk getting pregnant than going to buy them. Now, of course this begs the question, why are you having sex if you aren't willing to admit your doing it.
Anyways, these mail things seem to allow kids the freedom from embarrassement, and still allow for safe sex.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, i'm one of those peoples who thinks as well as knows a cashier cares less about whether or not you're buying condoms. But i know some people are still scared about it, so i do think the internet free condoms are a good idea. Like what was already said, the reaction of your parents is something you have to take into acount when you have sex. Free condoms for those too embarrassed to go to the store and buy them seems like a pretty good solution, and if you're parents find out and you haven't told them, you have to be prepared to face the consequences.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.