Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Passing Out Condoms and Condom Information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Passing Out Condoms and Condom Information
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sorry, I couldn't think of a better place to put this. I really want to hand out pamphlets about condoms and how to use them along with a condom at my school. It'd be done discretely, I'd probably slip them into lockers and leave little stacks in the bathrooms. It's a public high school. I'm curious if anyone knows if legally, I can get into any kind of trouble. Any info would be great
Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that doing this could be illegal. It's school property, after all, and if you're doing something on it that they don't like, they have every right to stop you.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, yes, you can get into trouble for doing something like this. While I don't know the specific rules set forth by your school district, I do know that passing out condoms on school property without the express consent of the school district and local authority (city council or county supervisors) is an infraction. The punishment varies depending on what your local school board would decide, but legally you would be held responsible and probably fined. Expulsion and community service hours would be another option, as infractions do not generally incur punishments beyond that.

However, expulsion is pretty traumatic from what I am told. And people nationwide have been expelled for doing things as innocuous as what you'd like to do. So even though it may be a good thought, it's probably best not to mess with it. At least not under the current rules.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if you can get in good with some school officials or faculty, make some noise about the subject, and prove you know what you're talking about and your intentions are pure (you aren't a representative for Durex, are you? ) then maybe you can do it above ground.

Remember, having people in high places to back you up is more likely to end in success. Can you find a sympathetic counselor or principal?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now my school is currently trying to make me finish the school year at Opportunity School for constructive possession of a controlled substance.

So...once I'm done convincing them that they are quite mistaken (I've been doing darn good at it, I will say. On Tuesday we find out for sure if I can say, but the vice principal was very receptive to the idea of letting me stay), and once I convince the court that they are quite mistaken also (some law research tells me that they can't convict me of anything...I just have to prove to them that they can't), then I'll work on finding a sympathetic ear.

*laughs*

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artanis
Neophyte
Member # 7699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artanis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably go to the Aclu's website at www.aclu.org, they can give you some good info, also try Planed Parent hood, they should know hat is legal.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the ruels and regulations of the public schools are so vauge and wide reaching they can do anything they like. If you hand out condoms and pamphlets they will likely try to stop you, if they try to prosicute you for the first offense it will likely be thrown out of court as they have no clear rules against such activity.

The people who run your schools are bastards who will do ANYTHING to cover their own asses. Their jobs depend on keeping all the conservative extreemists parents of your peer group happy. They will expel you, they will lie, they will prosicute you in a court of law, all just to make sure their asses are covered and no one can accuse them of knowingly exposing the children under thier care to a "harmful" environment.

If you want to try and buck the system you had better have the support of your parents, as well as the parents of several of your peers and your lawyer all picked out.

If there is someone who works at your school who you can trust to not rat you out to the principal you could try to talk to them about how to approach this undertaking.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
somewhatanonymous, I can't say that I completely disagree with some of your attitudes on personal grounds, but as far as posting at Scarleteen is concerned you may want to review this part of the Guidelines:

quote:
You agree that you will not use this board to post any material which is knowingly false or defamatory, deliberately inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Since what you said was more a general statement than a slander or a threat, I think you're sort of okay, but I'd watch it and read up on the Guidelines, okay?

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.