Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » sex toys on airplanes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sex toys on airplanes?
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey folks
i'm pretty sure this isn't the best forum to be posting this, but as it isn't a crisis, i didn't wanna bug the advocates.

however, i have an urgent question.
in less than two days, i will be boarding an airplane and going to a conference, where i'm presenting a workshop on safer sex (and one on menstruation adn one on queer sexual assault and domestic violence, but that's besides the point).

i will be checking a bag that will have sex toys in it. sex toys including dildoes, anal beads, butt plug, harness, and vibrators.

my question: will this register as suspicious? will they not allow my bag on the flight? will i arrive in new york and find that my luggage with all my presentation materials for *all* my workshops are gone?

anyone who knows anything about this, or who has dealt with this, is encouraged to please, reply ASAP with words of wisdom.

thanks so much.

<hugs> and safer sex workshops,
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had you asked this question five months or so ago, I would have given a solid no the items would not raise attention, and no they wouldn't be removed. I remember distinctly remember reading somewhere that it was simply a personal item, and couldn't be messed with... I can't see these items not being allowed on any airliner, but I can't answer for sure because, I'm sure the regulations won't necessarily list the words "sex toys," and the media wouldn't be pawing over themselves to report that regulation.

However, what I can see is a great deal of potential embarassment when you go through teh baggage check. With the tighter security, the chances are that your bag might be opened and checked, and... well, you get the picture.

Honestly, your best bet, even if it isn't the most pleasant option, would be to call the airline and ask what the proceedures are for these types of items, and if there are any regulations against flying with them. While that might seem somewhat embarassing... the other option seems much less appealing.

------------------
Tim

"Read the Bible again sometime. Women are painted as bigger antagonists than the Egyptians and Romans combined. It stinks." --"Serendipity," Dogma

Jane knows Connie; she doesn't care to know Dick.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
calling the airline is a good idea.
i'm not worried about the embarassment, because i'll be checking the bag.
what worries me is that because it will go through the baggage check, if they don't let it on the flight, i'll have no way of finding out, and rescuing my other stuff....
i guess i'll call continental tomorrow.
thanks!
-rek

and ps. you don't know me, but i'm not the kind of person who would get at all embaressed traveling with a bag of sex toys. in fact, when i go on airplanes or buses, i generally bring the most provacatively titled book i can think of (past examples include _the bottoming book_ _public sex_ _the ethical slut_ and _policing public sex_)

and pps with regard to them being personal items: that's what i would think, but i know i've read accounts by sex educators who have had trouble traveling with their supplies-- and i can' t remember what they did, or if they were crossing national borders or what....

[This message has been edited by rekling (edited 01-30-2002).]

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a funny article about a guy who tried to get a similar bag full of sex toys through airport security.
I think I've been able to find a site that isn't age restricted and that has the article. Try here: http://www.salon.com/health/sex/urge/1999/07/06/airport/

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

wow.
and, if i'm not mistaken, he went to my school.

if security weren't so tight these days, i'd love to try that-- especially as the cleveland airport is *full* of military folks of some sort.

<giggles>
-rek

Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
David Steinburg writes a regular column called Comes Naturally in the Spectator magazine (adult, sex stuff obviously) which isn't available in Australia. I deeply, deeply regret to say that the only places I can find that reproduces his articles on a regular basis are all 18-plus, so, legality gets in the way of posting links to them in Scarleteen.
We're an ingenious bunch, we'll find ways around it! LOL

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

[This message has been edited by Maharet (edited 01-30-2002).]

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

hmmm...
we (at my school) get an email verson of something called "Comes Naturallly" from him every so often (once a month, maybe?). if that's the same column...why not just do the email version?
-rek

Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

This is almost turning into a chatroom .
I've just read the entire article and noted the email option at the bottom of it. I duly sit corrected!

------------------

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is SUCH an amusing article!!!!
Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewcosten
Neophyte
Member # 3923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewcosten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JACK: My suitcase was vibrating?

SECURITY: Nine time out of ten, it's an electric razor. But, every once in a while ...
(whispers)
...it's a dildo. It's airline policy not to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We use the indefinite aricle: "A dildo." Never "Your dildo."

Sorry, I just watch Fight Club too often.

Posts: 7 | From: Toronto,ON,Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this by any chance the Breaking Walls Building Bridges conference? If it is, I'll see you there! I'll be teaching a self-defense class elsewhere on Saturday, but if you tell me what time your workshops are I can try to make them. I'll definitely be there on Sunday. If you find out that you won't be able to get the sex toys through security, I can lend you a dildo and a vibrator, and I'm sure I can scrounge up whatever other sex toys you need from my friends. If you just need to show it in a workshop, I'm sure people would be willing to lend you stuff for the day!

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

hey poetgirl
it is indeed the BWBB conference-- you think i'd fly to new york for just anything?
thanks for the offer, i'll email you tonight after i call te airline if i need to take you up on it.
my workshops are:
safer is sexier: saturday 2:45-4:30
menstrual health and the politics of your period: saturday 5-6:45
and
Breaking the Silence: Queer Sexual Assautl and Domestic Violence: sunday 9-10:45.

-rek

Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be quite some convergence of Scarleteenites on New York at the moment. Pity I am slightly out of sync with this conference but of course family matters must take presidence.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You knnow, a few years back -- before massive airport paranoia ensued -- I was coming back to Chicago from a convention in Atlanta with a bag full of said loot.

At that time, it got me through security FASTER than anyone, because when my bag beeped, and they opened it and looked in, then up at me, I simply said (not all that quietly), "Oh, those are just sex toys. Do you want me to show you?" The woman barked a scared, "NO!" then just hurled my bag at me. I waited, trying to be polite and said, "I'm happy to show you, really it's fine..." and she just again said "NO!" And basically pushed me out of the line and on my way.

I confess that once or twice when the lines have been long, I used that trick again, even when my bag was empty. Worked nice for a while.

But honestly, right now, I'd just put all your gear in a bag you're checking, tell the checker what is in there, annd do it that way.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

well, i called continental, and the nice woman on the phone definitely gave a startled pause after i asked about checking a bag of sex toys, and seemed confused that i thought this could cause any problem. she said it would be fine.
so, wish me luck, folks!
-rek

PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, unfortunately I can't be in the Safer Is Sexier workshop, because that is the time of the class I'm teaching. I heard there's some sort of drag king makeover workshop later in the evening though, and I'm very intrigued by that. I've already been to a workshop on the politics of periods, so I'll probably find something else at that time if I make it. I also might go to the dance later in the evening. Unfortunately, the earliest I'll get to the conference is 4:30 on Saturday. Sunday sounds cool though!

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

[This message has been edited by PoetgirlNY (edited 01-31-2002).]

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.