Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Abortions for all (for free)!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortions for all (for free)!
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Japanese doctor has developed a new plan called "girl's guard" for women and girls in his country who've been coming to his clinic wanting abortions and with symptoms of advanced sexually transmitted diseases.

Tsuneo Akaeda will distribute sell condoms to women and girls on the promise that if it breaks, their pregnancy tests and abortions (if necessary) will be paid for. He says he developed the plan after his young patients complained that they wouldn't use condoms because "they would just break anyway".

What's that you're saying? The system will probably be abused? Au contraire says the article: "To prevent the system from being misused, those applying for a test or abortion have to comply with the scheme's procedures. First, they must send in the busted condom to the Girl's Guard company with a photo of the woman by registered post. If the woman then finds she is pregnant, she must obtain a pregnancy-test certificate from a doctor and send it in with an ultrasound scan and personal identification."

Sounds like a pretty icky and not fun way to get the free services. Still, I suppose that when a condom breaks, the whole situation is pretty icky.

Whatever. I agree with the person in the article who says that emergency contraception ought to be pushed, rather than the costlier and more difficult abortions.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italianboy84
Activist
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italianboy84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that not abortions not emergency contraception (that to me...are the same things) should be promoted. I think, and I repeat I think, that the varoius values and also benefits,of course, of abstinence and sexuality should be emphasized.

------------------
I love God, I believe that my virginity is a gift to be given to the woman of my life, at marriage, with God's blessing. I love and respect life.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by italianboy84:
I think that not abortions not emergency contraception (that to me...are the same things) should be promoted. I think, and I repeat I think, that the varoius values and also benefits,of course, of abstinence and sexuality should be emphasized.

Italianboy, this is worst case scenario. As for the abstinence argument, it is already being promoted in several places: in schools, public service announcements, churches, and yet, thousands of women still get pregnant.

------------------
"You're scary sometimes! Brilliant, but scary!"
-Ron to Hermione, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Do not question the Mistress of Legend!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle Jessie
Neophyte
Member # 6306

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Michelle Jessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used emergency contraception twice. Once from an unwanted sexual experience and once when I was just dumb and didn't use a condom. And I don't believe I did anything wrong! Just getting that out of the way.

Now, I wouldn't be worried about people abusing the use of a pregnancy test because those are free most places any ways.

I wouldn't even worry about people abusing the use of an abortion since abortion is a horrible experience (I don't know personally but I can only imagine).

I'm worried about the logic of this doctor...well if the condom breaks I can just get an abortion! No...that wouldn't comfort me any. But I do think making Emergency Contraception or the "Morning After Pill" free for people is great!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, buying this guy's condom is kind of like buying insurance for the instance in which it breaks. Adding reimbursment for the morning after pill is a completely logical move for this fellow as well, but every plan has it's kinks in the beginning.

------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.