Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Parents thoughts on masturbation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parents thoughts on masturbation?
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

If your parent/guardian caught you masturbating, what woudl they say? Supportive? Disgusted?

To those otu there who are parents, what would you say?

Should kids discuss masturbation with theri parents? would be kidna hard.

Should parents discuss masturbation with their kids? would be kinda hard.

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, my parents (hell, my family in general) have always been very open about sex, and sexual activity. Masturbation has always been a natural activity for me, and my parents share the same view. I'm sure that if the were to discover me, while it would be somewhat uncomfortable, they would simply consider it to be the natural act that it is, and move on. There'd be no hang-up about it.

I think that masturbation should be discussed with children as soon as they start to become intrested in that region. They should be allowed to understand that touching it is a normal thing, and they won't get hairy palms, etc.

(Warning, rant ahead...)

Personally, I think that just plain ol' sexuality needs to be discussed, if not between the parents and the children, then the Sexual Education programs at most schools need to be expanded to cover topics of masturbation, sexual orentation, sexual practices, and safesexual practices. Children need to understand that sex isn't a bad thing, and either the parents or the state needs to impress this upon them.

(End of rant...)

Whew. I hope I've answered the question, and didn't go off on a rant about political reformation in our public school system.

------------------
Tim (a.k.a. the dude)
-------------------------
"Don't knock masturbation-- it's sex with someone I love" -- Woody Allen

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents went one step further. My dad told me that masturbation was good and healthy before I had even considered masturbating. Indeed it was some years after that I started. If they caught me, it wouldnt so much be catching, more like walking in on accidently. They would probably leave and not say anything more about it.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

[This message has been edited by Confused boy (edited 12-28-2001).]

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*smiles*
Neophyte
Member # 6303

Icon 7 posted      Profile for *smiles*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that parents should be open about masturbation. Maybe if they were less teens would be sexually active because by knowing about masturbation and that it is healthy, they could give themself pleasure.
Also parents should explain to them about masturbation because its just as important to know about as sex itself is.

------------------
~*lexi*~
God does everything for a reason. Remember that even if its the worst that you think could happen to you, its not.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.