Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Board Ethics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Board Ethics
Girle
Neophyte
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I'm curious to know if this place is restricted to advocates only...I've seen a few people who are against many of the topics on the board and I'm curious if they will be banned or what. There are polite ways to refute topics.
Posts: 12 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, honey. Come again?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... I think i understand what you're trying to say.

And no, there is only one board that only advocates and sexperts are allowed to see and two that are only allowed to be answered by advocates/sexperts. The reason this board seems to be the "place" so many people get banned is b/c of some of the topics discussed here. As advocates, we're taught how to debate w/o going over the guidelines and we're expected to follow these guidelines and set an example for others. There are memos posted on the regular boards to remind everyone of the guidelines (and if everyone followed those, we wouldn't have to ban anyone) but obviously not everyone is going to read them and some of those who do just don't care.

But in short ... No. You're free to roam around this area and post as you please. But please, do keep in mind the guidelines

(I really hope this is what you're talking about. If not, forgive me for babbling)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girle
Neophyte
Member # 6284

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Girle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here I go again.

This whole site is mainly for advocates of teen sex. It is saying that teens should be able to make their own decisions about whether they want to have sex or not. I do not follow that believe. I am an advocate of abstaining before marriage.

Am I allowed to post my opposing views here?
Many sites do not want their environment disturbed, so I thought I'd ask before posting anyone and offending anyone.

Posts: 12 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it now, and I appreciate your asking.

The best way I know how to answer your question is that we ask that discussions and approaches at Scarleteen be open to every users OWN choices, ideologies and beliefs.

Meaning that if I were to say, for instance, that I feel not me, but EVERYONE should remain abstinent until marriage, I would essentially be saying and assuming the following:

1) Everyone believes in marriage, sees marriage as a sexual union or even a sexual/romantic bond or even has marriage in their cultural tradition or personal beliefs.
2) Everyone wants to marry at some point, or is ABLE to marry at some point should they want to.
3) Everyone's cultural traditions of marriage or union, should they have them or ascribe to them, hold sexual celibacy of any or all types prior to marriage as an ideal.
4) Everyone defines sex as the same thing, or as heterosexual intercourse, or what have you.

...and none of those things are so for everyone here, or even for a lot of people all around the world. Assuming they are so is basically a sort of intolerance which makes it very hard for most users to feel safe discussing their issues here.

So, if you can't come to the boards with the understanding that all users get to make their own choices, and that when made with their own and their partners best interests at heart, all of those choices are valid, then no, putting forth what are your choices for yourself, based on your individual mores, religious beliefs or what have you, an ideal which you feel everyone should ascribe to really isn't okay, anymore than it would be okay for us to say we feel all teens or adults really should be sexually active and that being so is better than being celibate (which we do not).

Our general mission here at Scarleteen, in the most general sense, is to provide as much relevant and useful information for our user base -- as we know it -- as we can. That given, since we have many users who are sexually active, yet also many who are not yet, or who are in degrees, as well as plenty of users who may be active or inactive at any given time, and many levels of cultural, religious, social and other diversities, we try and make it the most comfortable and applicable to all of those groups. Thusly, both the boards and the site have information that is applicable to EACH user whether they choose to be sexually active or not. That is even why when discussing things like birth control and safer sex, you will not hear myself or other staff say things like, "You should do this or that," but rather, "If you do not want this or that result, and these are the choices you are making (or are not, or may), this is the information for you to evaluate to make your choices with so that whatever choice you make, it is as informed a choice as possible."

If, on the other hand, you want to talk about your own choices, how they effect you, and how you're working with them and talk to others making the same or similar choices with the understanding that they are no better or worse than anyone else's choices, than you are completely welcome to do that. For instance, tallking about how celibacy benefits you or how it's hard for you at times, or how you use it as an excellent safer sex method, or how you see your sexuality working within your own religious or personal beliefs are all just fine. That is a lot of what the boards are, in fact, here for, with all of the diversity of choices, beliefs and practices here.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 12-27-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know. i often have political views that clash with ppl i'm with at school and *gasp* here on this board. but like anything else, you learn to compromise, and you learn how to word things in a way in which your opinion is conveyed without coming across as demeaning toward anyone else. Does it mean you have to deny what you believe? not in the least. It's just a matter of not imposing your beliefs on other people. Reasoning is a better way of bringing people to your way of thinking.

so yes, you are entitled to your opinions and beliefs, but make sure you always phrase your replies in such a way that if specify that these are the opnions you hold and you understand that not everybody's going to agree with you, and you will respect that.

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.