Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The Forbidden Fruit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Forbidden Fruit
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teenage sex... It's considered dirty by some, wrong by others, and isn't supported by many. Condoms aren't extremely available to teens; neither is information. In my health class a picture of a penis and a vagina is shown to our class, and we learn about the reproductive system. Oral sex is rarely touched on, and manual sex is referred to as "heavy petting" (when it's completely necessary to talk about that sort of thing ::rolleyes .

A lot of teens are curious about sex... About oral sex; manual sex; intercourse, because they're not taught about it. If they were told what it is (how it's performed... Factually; they're not given technique) and what the consequences are then a lot of teens wouldn't have to go find out for themselves and possibly get pregnant or get an STD.

In some other countries condoms, lubrication, pregnancy tests, and information are out there for teens. (Much more than here). And most of the time their teen pregnancy rates are much lower (as well as sexual diseases). I'll look on Yahoo later for some numbers.

What do you all think about this? Should the info and supplies be more available here or not? Or do you think they're available enough right now?

------------------
Don't mess with Texas

[This message has been edited by Mary (edited 08-12-2001).]

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that people will never give out techniques, and i don't actually know if that is a good idea. Meaning i think that people should try and figure these things out for themselves...well...with maybe a little help from others.

I do think that teens should be given more access to knowledge and birth control. I don't understand why people think that if info is withheld from teens that teens won't have sex. I think it's so much better that we tell people all they need to know about sex and all involved. This can reduce pregnancy, std's and tons of other things.

But, sex is still considered taboo to some, and i don't think this will happen to soon, unless we really fight for it.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

------------------------
"You already know at least 4 women who've been raped...and you don't even know it."

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Celtic Daisy:
I think that people will never give out techniques, and i don't actually know if that is a good idea. Meaning i think that people should try and figure these things out for themselves...well...with maybe a little help from others.
[/QUO

I wasn't suggesting that anyone give out technique... I was suggesting that teens get information on what sex is. Like in history class they teach you about war (what it is, what the consequences are, what weapons they use, and post-war life); not technique such as how they loaded guns and where they struck the opponent to kill him. Ya get how that may relate to education on sex? The students are told what it is; what the consequences are; what tools to use.

Teenage sex isn't going to just disappear because some people disapprove of it. Why not be educated on it?

------------------
Don't mess with Texas

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lgray
Activist
Member # 2930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lgray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree about the fact that there should be more information out there. For one, every teen really does know the consequenses of sex - pregnancy and STD's. That has been grilled into our brains, but how to go about protecting ourselves is not. If my health teacher had just jotted down the number of a local clinic such as Planned Parenthood (a really great organization) on the black board that may have made a lot more people in class aware of where they can go to get birth control and more info. It's a little intimidating at 16 to go into a clinic and purchase birth control or condoms... It's still a little intimidating! I'm from NC where we have a strictly abstinance stand of sex education. That means we are only taught "Absitnance"...which is important to recommend as it is "the safest sex of all", but no other information is given. We learn somewhat about some STD's, how you get them and what they do to you, but you aren't really taught how to prevent them except "don't have sex" it's pathetic. This from a state who has 50% of grandparents raising their teenage daughters' babies.
If you want change...Write your Congressman!!! Check out Girlsinc.com or Planned Parenthood main website to figure out how!

Posts: 62 | From: Raleigh, NC, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people (namely my mother) believe that if teens were taught in a religous or fear based way about sex then it wouldnt happen. By fear she means serious consequences besides STDs or pregnancy (such as severe punishment at home or from school). She says that if EVERY family taught that premarriatal sex was wrong and immoral then no one would do it.

But I more then strongly dissagree with her. I think oral and manual sex NEED to be talked about in school. Never in any of my classes have they EVER told me that using a condom might help prevent STD's. Nor have they told me that oral sex can transmit STD's.

I think that my moms approach to sex with me hasnt made me want to not have sex, but it made it so intriuging that i just had to try it myself to see what was so "taboo" about it. Abstinence only sex ed is quite dangerous IMO.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem started during the Reagen administration where they basically put a halt to any sex education from what I recall. Reagen promoted "abstinence" which really...like saying that is really going to stop teens from having sex. It's one of those things where teenagers are going to do it anyway, so I believe that the best thing to do is just to educate them on it. I saw a poll over at drdrew.com where 21% of the people who had answered the poll said that they don't use any form of contraceptives during sex. Less than half use a condom. Now I don't know what this compares to any national figures (which the accuracy of a "national average" is still rather inaccurate I believe unless they ask every single teenager out there). I went through high school and college without ever really knowing what sex was. The only real way that I found out about it was by, duh, having sex...which didn't happen until after college. Education is the best method though regarding sex or anything else. It is true with the slogan "knowledge is power."

If sex education and supplies were more available than I think there would be more educated decisions involving sex among teenagers especially. I had some sex education in high school, but I still didn't really know much about STDs, etc. I think they only covered sex for about a day in my health education class which was rather sad.

------------------
"I can't die. Something tells me the people of earth are going to need me." --Rueben

blackbird's blog

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 08-15-2001).]

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.