Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » ARt exhibit in Colorado - stolen?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ARt exhibit in Colorado - stolen?!
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A weird followup to Dzuun's story:
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,53%257E221306,00.html?search=filter

Apparently El Dildo Bandito stole this 'work of art'.

Strange.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,53%257E217067,00.html?search=filter

Sorry, another one. ;]

I don't think this is exactly the method that this guy should have used to voice his concerns, but at the same time I get this image of a man sneaking 20 penises out of a museum and I have to laugh. Censorship is weird.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's highly interesting that the first article notes that the thief hasn't been, and won't be arrested unless the artist decides to press charges.

If somebody stole the Mona Lisa, would we wait for the artist's permission to arrest them? I mean, really...we'll arrest you for stealing art, heck, you'll even be spending time in jail if you steal the Big Boy statue in front of your local Frishes! But just because what you stole was a bunch of controversial penii on a string, nobody is going to be arrested without permission?

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an exhibit at the gallery a few months ago of a whole lot of penises in sardine cans!

Apparently it was hilarious, but I didn't get to see it.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of new things:

First, the local media in Colorado has seemed unable to pin down the precise name of this piece of art. Over the past week or so, I've seen it referred to, variously, as "Hung Out to Dry", "Hanging 'Em Out to Dry" and "Hang 'Em Out to Dry". The first sounds like it could even be playful, as Rizzo pointed out in the initial thread on this topic. The second sounds like it's an act the artist is performing, and the third sounds like a command, like that's what ought to be done with penises.

Also, according to this article, the artist, one Susanne Walker, says about the theft: "'[it's] an attack on my freedom of speech', the gallery and the issue of domestic violence against women."

Presuming this journalist isn't taking liberties with the paraphrasing of Ms. Walker, it seems to me she's saying that her exhibit is intended to make people think about violence against women. Penises. Supposed to make people think about violence against women. Penises are supposed to make people think about violence against women. This is hatred of me and my gender, pure and simple.

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 11-15-2001).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

You said just what I thought, Dzuun.
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The piece of art itself doesn't seem offensive to me, but the context makes it so. And what exactly is the message here? Men are violent . . so let's cut off their genitals? Penises make men violent? Men are nothing but penises? Whatever it is, I don't like it.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
I think it's highly interesting that the first article notes that the thief hasn't been, and won't be arrested unless the artist decides to press charges...But just because what you stole was a bunch of controversial penii on a string, nobody is going to be arrested without permission?

Not exactly...the reason he wasn't arrested is because the Colorado Penal Code states that Police Officers cannot make an arrest for a misdemeanor that is not committed in the presence of an Officer. Most US states have laws to the same effect (The CA law, under 836 of the Penal Code, is identical). In order for a misdemeanor arrest to be made, the victim would have to conduct a Citizen's Arrest, meaning that she would be have to sign a series of forms and be held responsible for pressing charges upon the suspect.

It has nothing to do with the type of art that was stolen. If the Mona Lisa was stolen (assuming it was in US on display, so US laws would be in effect), it would be considered Grand Theft and would be a felony. Therefore the perpetrator would be arrested when he or she was found. But stealing this penis artwork, or theft of anything else of that nature is considered to be "petty theft" and is branded as a misdemeanor. As a result, the Officer cannot make an arrest without the victim pressing charges.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.