Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » a reason to celebrate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a reason to celebrate
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 7 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The German Supreme Court today ruled that the law concerning same-sex registered partnerships is in accordance with our "basic law" (our constitution) and can hence go into action on August 1st, as planned.

Two states (the most conservative ones) had asked the Supreme Court to stop that law, claiming it was unconstitutional.

So let's open the champagne and celebrate the first gay marriages that germany will see in just about 2 weeks. Ain't these great news?

Just thought I'd share.

Ja zur Homosexuellen Ehe

(I'll let you know when I come across any reports on this in english.)

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!
Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 10 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's rather nifty, congrats to germany.
Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! It's like the anti-Paragraph 175. Whooo hooo! I can't wait until I move to Germany, I don't actually "know" per se when that will be, but I can't wait!
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yihaa!
I agree, this is the end to what started with the end of §175 StGB, Gaffer.

Actually, one state up north has had partnerhsip ceremonies for a good while now, but what these new registered partnerships will give is equality to straight marriages in regards to:

• Name law (aka people have a family name)
  • Family law
  • Insurance (i.e. you can get insured through your partner's employer)
  • divorce & support after divorce
  • Inheritance law

A good start, me thinks!

(but still no english report on this )

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Germany approves gay rights

...and on the news this morn, some state politicians said that they would now work on getting adoption and tax laws for non-straight married couples, too! Yay!

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now if only the rest of the world would follow. . .
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should move to Germany...

Hopefully the US will follow suit soon, but I won't hold my liberal breath.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Annoyingly enough, one of the states that lost that appeal to the Supreme Court, Bavaria (that state where sex workers need to use condoms at all times), is now planning to only let same-sex couples *marry* in front of a notary, not at the registry (like necessary for all other marriages). It's really ridiculous bullshit - they want to make clear it's not a "marriage". Arrgh. Can you spell discrimination? Now that they have to let same sex marriages happen, they try everything to make it as unofficial and different as possible. Duh.

Unfortunately, due to the way the country-wide law is written, they states can decide on their own in which form same sex marriages should take place.

Thankfully, cases by gay couples wanting to marry in Bavaria have already been filed, soo....we shall see. I doubt that notary route will stand in the end. It's just too ridiculous.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Caro, haven't we already established that Bavaria is the German equivalent of Texas?

Does this come as any great surprise? ;P

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Boo to the business world/You know a girl who's tax-free on her back and making/Plenty cash/But you are working for the joy of giving" --Belle and Sebastian, "Lazy Line-Painter Jane"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 9 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, unfortunately, Lem, this is no surprise at all...

At least the current head of state of Bavaria will never be able to become chancellor. Even though he wants to give it a go. No one in northern Germany would elect a Bavarian. Pheeew!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.