Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » gay pride

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gay pride
Voostra
Neophyte
Member # 2049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voostra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just hearing about a gay pride parade near where I live, they were talking on the radio about how traditionally this particula parade was lead by a group of people called "dykes on bikes" - motorbikers. I was thinking that while I have no problem with these types of things, and while they do let people express themselves, and come out without (or less at least) fear, how much do they contribute to negative images among the general populace of gays and lesbians? I would imagine that not all gays/lesbians are as perhaps flamboyant about their preferences, and that they might take offense to things that almost advertise them as being so. What do you guys think?
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the analogy I'd use is that I consider myself a Christian, but I'm embarassed and outraged by the activities and proclaimed beliefs of a lot of other folks calling themselves "Christians" (particularly by intolerant right-wing types). Those people don't represent ME, and they certainly don't represent my Christianity. In much the same way, it is rarely fair to stereotype any group by looking at a very small percentage of its members, especially the most vocal and flambouyant percentage.
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent point ... I've never really thought of it this way.

There's a limit to every cause ... And sometimes people go overboard. That would be like us sticking a condom detector on each and every member here to make sure they always wear one during sex(ual activities). Everyone has their own opinions on what's right or wrong and represent their own opinions, not everyone elses.

Isn't this going along w/ the "Please no generalizing" rule?

------------------
I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
~ Anonymous

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do realize that the folks you have to thank for there even BEING a cause, aand pride marches, are groups like Dykes on Bikes. They've been around and leading marches for as far back aas I can remember. That's pretty big thanks they're owed.

None of us identifies with every member of whatever group we subscribe to, be that by gender, race, locality, orientation or what have you.

If you feel you aren't even being adequately represented, there's a real easy solution: get the heck out there and representt yourself, eh? For instance, I know for a fact that there are plenty of people out there who don't think a person like me -- who has also worked in adult sexuality and moedled and is very salty in some respects -- is the best person to do something like Scarleteen or youth sex ed. But the real truth of the matter is that I'm one of the few out here making the sacrifices and putting myself in the public eye to do it. Make sense?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of an Onion article that I posted a little while back.

I do think that these things, as the article indicates, do not promote tolerance or understanding. I do think that they're sort of silly. But, on the other, I don't think that anyone, as long as they're not doing harm to anyone else, should have to present a false image of themselves to society.

------------------
"...we're all thinking the same thing/let's not settle for satisfaction/we are women and men of action/let's stop clapping let's start doing/a dream for the teens and in-betweens and twenties yet unseen"
-Braid

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.