Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » South African Bishops condemn condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: South African Bishops condemn condoms
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was having my lunch today, I bought a copy of the SF Chronicle and read this. The Roman Catholic Bishops in South Africa do not believe that condoms should be used to stop the AIDS virus and that married couples can use them in "limited" situations.

What do you think of this? South Africa has the highest concentration of AIDs-infected people on this earth. Is religion really a factor in some people's decisions not to use condoms because of the inhibition of the creation of life? How would bishops know anyways because Roman Catholic bishops in general never marry or reproduce. Isn't that alone stopping their own reproduction? Who came up with this idea anyway that condoms are immoral?

*if you missed the link in the paragraph, click here

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

blackbird's blog

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 07-31-2001).]

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Catholic position, as stated by the Pope, is that the only sexual contact allowed is during marriage. Most Catholics to my knowledge ignore this, and I expect that those most at risk of the disease, i.e. the promiscuous, ignore it too. Well, I would hope they would....
Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i think the point in this case is that the roman catholic church as a whole condemns the use of condoms (and all other forms of birth control besides the rhythm) as going against God's will, as in the catholic view sex should only occur within the confines of marriage, and only for procreation.

personally, i think that is an impractical stance to take, especially for a religious institution with a large african following who are at high risk for contracting HIV. however, the blame should go on the church's doctrine, composed by a slew of individuals, not only on the south african bishop, who is simply following that doctrine.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh

My

God...

Thats all I have to say.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I read once that Catholic priests are the group with the highest percentage of HIV/AIDS cases in the world. So , if you separated us all into little tiny groups, these priests would have more HIV/AIDS victims than any other. Hmm.. and they're not supposed to have intercourse, right? Sounds a bit fishy to me, like those priests are doing something behind our backs. But anyhoos, I think that the Roman Catholic Church needs to rethink some of their doctrines.. and alter them according to the times we live in today. (Like that is ever going to happen.) Perhaps if they endorsed safe sex with the use of condoms, not as many of their priests would be afflicted with disease, as well as thier people. Telling members of the congregation NOT to use condoms when there is such widespread disease is very hurtful.. doctrine or not, there should be some exceptions made.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Earl Butz (Secratary of Agraculture in the Nixon Administration) put it refering to Pope Paul VI's position of birth control.

"He a no playa da game, he a no make a da rules"

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Catholic school up through 8th grade and not once did they ever talk about sex. It was my impression that it was one of those "don't talk, don't tell" type of deals. I have found that the rules of the Catholic Church are very archaic and don't fit in with modern society. It's basically like they're just hoping that people will follow their rules without question and of course that doesn't happen.

As for priests and AIDS, it seems like many priests have been accused of sexually molesting alter boys. I can't think of any stories right now, but I do know that I've noticed it in the news more than once.

I was thinking about it yesterday and if the Catholic church considers condoms immoral for the inhibition of the creation of life, then what does AIDS do? It certainly cuts off a lot of people's life lines rather short since there is not cure for it. It seems like a Catch 22 to me.

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

blackbird's blog

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frae
Neophyte
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this post has been generally unfair to Catholic clergy. I would be very interested in reading whatever report you know of that claims that Catholic priests have a higher concentration of HIV per capita than any other social group - because that is plainly rubbish and incredible.

South African bishops condemn condoms. So do all other Catholic bishops - and indeed all other Catholics. Catholicism as I have always been thought is a take it or leave it philosophy and in my 14 years of Catholic education (Ive just finished actually) I have never found that sex in itself is a taboo subject.

If this condemnation of condoms by the S.A clergy causes an increased difficulty for all South Africans to obtain condoms (which it may very well), then there is cause for concern. But you cant criticise them for holding an opinion.

Posts: 16 | From: Dublin,Dublin,Ireland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iluvpunkguys
Neophyte
Member # 4885

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Iluvpunkguys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the whole idea of a religion condemning condoms is absurd. Birth control is a godsend for people who would otherwise have 12 kids, which further serves to overpopulate the Earth. I'm not gonna get into one of my rants because I don't want to offend anybody. This is part of the whole reason I'm anti-organized religion and a self-proclaimed agnostic (actually, I'm in between deciding right now).

Ashley

------------------
"I said I'll thank you, we'll always thank you, more than you will know, than I could ever show, and I love you, we'll always love you, there's nothing I won't do, to say these words to you. That you're beautiful forever."

"You go out on Friday night, I'll stay in but that's alright cuz I have found a clique to call my own."

[This message has been edited by Iluvpunkguys (edited 08-04-2001).]

Posts: 24 | From: Scottsdale, AZ, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
guys, i really think frae has a good point. i for one am not at all comfortable with anyone calling a religion "absurd." i think in this case people need to consider the reasons why the catholic church has condemned the use of birth control in most situations.

i also think that we need to remember that if people follow the tenets of catholicism as a whole, they are quite unlikely to get HIV as a result of sexual activity. the real problem, as frae says, would be if the catholic stance on birth control would make it more difficult for people who want condoms to get them.

and you know, iluvpunkguys, some people want 12 kids. some people believe that birth control is wrong. i'm not really comfortable with "anti-religion" people sniping at others' beliefs, especially because there haven't been any religious people sniping at atheists in this thread.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.