Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Taxpayer dollars to religious organizations and gay bans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taxpayer dollars to religious organizations and gay bans
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guys think? This ties right in with our gay Boy Scout discussion.
http://www.salon.com/mwt/wire/2001/07/10/bush_charities/index.html

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Boo to the business world/You know a girl who's tax-free on her back and making/Plenty cash/But you are working for the joy of giving" --Belle and Sebastian, "Lazy Line-Painter Jane"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I fully support the idea that private individuals/corporations/organizations/what-have-you should have the right to discriminate against whomever they please, regrettable as that discrimination may be, but the government doesn't and shouldn't have that right. I don't like the fact that my tax dollars are going to charities anyway, let alone religious charities that are discriminatory.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not fair. First they get to exclude whoever they please because they're a private organization, then they want to use our tax dollars to support them. If you're gonna be a private organization, then you can run yourself like one.

------------------
"Sometimes people care too much. I think it's called Love."
---Pooh Bear

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just skimmed the update article (I'm tired), but it seemed to be a positive update at any rate. I can't list the many flaws in the logic of ole' Dubbuyah if he thinks this sect of his "faith-based initiative" is in any way, shape, or form fair to anybody.

*weeps* Why, why, why, why WHY did he have to become the US President? I can't stand it sometimes...I feel like my head is going to explode. But that may be cured by Advil, I should really turn off the rock music and go to bed...

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide."
"Things seemed much less complicated...before we kept computers."
-Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 8 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr!

I think it's time to pull out my Bush punching bag and take my anger out on that.

At least the scouts are privately funded.

Damn Conservatives,

Winnie

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.