Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The Virginity Test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Virginity Test
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These dorks have obviously not read Scarleteen. Don't they know that it's impossible to determine virginity unless you're waddling into the gyno's office with a baby under your arm and a vagina full of semen?
http://www.salon.com/mwt/wire/2001/07/18/turkish_test/index.html

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Boo to the business world/You know a girl who's tax-free on her back and making/Plenty cash/But you are working for the joy of giving" --Belle and Sebastian, "Lazy Line-Painter Jane"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness.

All I can say to that.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, that makes me mad. It's like a step down from a thought police(okay, at least, that's how I see it.

What are they going to do? For example:

Tester: Are you a virgin?
Testee: Yes"
Tester: Let's have a looksee then. Hmmm, no hymen.
Testee: Never had one.
Tester: How do I know you're telling the truth? Oh well, one less nurse because I can't trust you.

Of course, that's all in Turkish. First of all it's ridiculous, second of all, this could cause a shortage of nurses in Turkey. Oh dear.

Uh oh, unintentional pun--testee/teste. Gah.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camryn
Activist
Member # 1242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this lemming. I noticed the same article in the morning paper and was about to post a link to it when I noticed your post.

I'm stunned really. Firstly, it's a giant step backwards from when forced tests were banned in 1999 secondly, I have no idea how this is possible. What exactly are they looking for to define virginity???

Since virginity can't really be proven this way the test is obviously just being used as a demonstration of power and control by the government. That's infuriating.

Anyone interested in women's rights issues should check out http://www.hrw.org/women/ on a regular basis.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[general political rant]

Turkey is actually a modern, up-moving country. But some people try to keep it down by re-introducing these kinds of practices that lots of turkish people that I know will be enraged anout.

You know what angers me is that Turkey wants to be part of the European Union. A country that neglects human rights and womens rights and forces useless practises like this virginity testing bullshit (excuse me)....no way.

But why do European politicians support Turkey still? Simply because it's important strategically. We give them weapons (who cares that they kill curds with those) and make money, too. Anything for strategic reasons.

[/general political rant]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.