Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » All women spaces

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All women spaces
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This festival is the source of some controversy in my old hometown. Is there cause for that? Is this perfectly acceptable?

It's the same idea as various other festivals have taken on (most notably, as Bobolink pointed out to me, the Michigan Womyn's Festival), wherein the performers are almost entirely composed of women (save for some backup artists) and the audience (except for transgendered folks who identify as female, those few ale performers and boys under 7) is entirely made up of women, as well.

Is this an acceptable form for feminism to take? Do you think that this could even go under the feminism 'umbrella', if you will?

I think it's disgusting. Feminism should be more about building bridges than many people want it to be. Those who disagree with feminism (or who are under the impression that they disagree with feminism, because of the way it's been presented to them) are only going to be further turned off by something like this.

------------------
"...we're all thinking the same thing/let's not settle for satisfaction/we are women and men of action/let's stop clapping let's start doing/a dream for the teens and in-betweens and twenties yet unseen"
-Braid

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should address this from a vantage point of gender segregation whether it be male OR female?

Personally, I think we have, through history, had SO much gender sgregation that we don't need to worry overmuch about either of these two genders being able to have their own "identity." My concern runs more towards being able to work together in harmony, with each of us acknowledging and respecting whatever form gender idenity takes, and I think to be able to work towards that, we need more oppportunities to work together.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I know, I know, I'm supposed to be on break. I shall sneak back into my hidey-hole before Caro returns and barks at me. Anyone asks: you didn't see me here.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at Heather: *bark bark* *lmao*

On topic:

Well, I am with Heather on this one; we should focus on working together, not on working against each other.

I personally find excluding one gender pretty ridiculous, in a way. - I can't even explain it; I just don't know what the fuss is about that it *has* to be women only. This just smells like this old "all men are potential rapists/evil/supressors/whatever else"-thing, and I don't agree with that at all, really.
I think there are some few scenarios where gender segregation is okay and understandable, but a festival that is supposed to bring people together and make them aware of something, most definitely isn't.

On a side note, over here in Freiburg, we had the first ever "Freiburg Men's Day", which was a one day workshop aimed to provide a safe haven for men to get back to their roots.
The one day event was organised by several men's groups from here. It was men only for the day at the center where it took place, and the program included various discussion groups on men in society; the workshops included drumming, some kind of martial arts similar to Kendo, scream therapy and other things.

I really would have found it interesting, but alas, I wasn't allowed there, and the one man I know who went there (a therapist working at PP), deemed it terribly boring.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
How would we react to a music festival that excluded Jews, Muslims, Blacks, women, or Caucasians?

This is fascistic elitism at its worst. And they are asking for federal money and corporate donations.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall a protest led by the National Organization of Women in 1996 over a Promise Keeper convention which excluded women. The Promise Keepers are a group of men (of Christain faith, I believe...can anybody confirm this?) who meet in large arenas and basically pledge to be faithful husbands and fathers and to play active roles in the lives of their children.

To me, this doesn't seem to be something to be too worried about. The LA Chapter of NOW, however, protested vehemently against the Promise Keepers, and got the LA Sports Arena to block access to them since they only admit men to their meetings. An NOW representative held a press conference stating that it was "blatant segregation" that has no place in today's society.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I do not see anyone picketing or talking about how such obvious segregation should not be allowed. I think that is a testament to the kind of people we are dealing with here, people who don't mind a double standard as long as it works in their favor.

Men made the mistake for millenia of excluding women from things, I think the most appropriate way to deal with this fact would be to move forward and work together. It's kind of like your mother always says--"Two wrongs don't make a right."

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it's okay to have women only spaces, if women want them, but I think that men only spaces should be an option too. I do agree that it's better for everyone to work together- personally, I don't frequent the women's room at my university, and I have felt somewhat uncomfortable there in the past. But if people want them, then people want them. I don't know what would happen if some guys wanted to start up a "men's room" on campus- the women's room couldn't really protest it without looking like hypocrites, I don't think.

And Caro, you know I believe that I saw something on TV about those men only days- it was. . . um. . . interesting, to say the least.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugggh. It really bugs me when people do things like this in the name of feminism. I don't mind there being women's only places, or men's only places, but making them in the name of feminism bothers me. What would we do, for example, if a men's club was set up to promote chauvinism? There would be mass protests! This concert isn't about the feminism movement, which is striving for feminine equality, this is about feminine superiority, and it's ruining everything feminists have been striving for since the movement began.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about feminism, but i thought it was about making the sexes more equal. Isn't this just trying to make woman stronger?
I don't think they should be allowed to do this. It's just another form of sexism.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.