Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » "Family Planning" in China

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Family Planning" in China
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just came across this article in the Washington Post on the recent court win and struggles of a young woman who lost her uterus after a botched state forced abortion in China.

Just again shows (in my opinion) that while there needs to be some sort of family planning in highly populiesed countries, Chinas way isn't exactly the right way because it completely disregards the people's own opinions and rights.

What are your opinions?

------------------
"To be nobody but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
e.e. cummings

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read so much about Family Planning in China but every article still send chills down my spine.

While this latest report is nothing short of sad and very frankly, disgusting. It isn't the worst.

This patriachy mess, as Gumdrop has put so nicely before, is really rearing it's ugly head. Parents kill their new born girls so that they can have a boy because girls are considered a waste of money since they are going to get married anyway.

It's really very sad and it seems like countries like China only know how to act with force.

Countries like Indonesia and Thailand are trying their best to educate the people in the more rural parts of the country on contraception. And I think that should be the way to go.

Enforcing one child only policies only drives people to desperate means.

Singapore tried that a few years ago and being the abiding citizens we are, we stopped at 2. Now they are desperate for more children. And now, it's "three please". I foresee the same thing happening to China in the next 20 years.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even see this topic until now. I don't know how I missed it.

Just to post something in the same vein that hits closer to home for some of us (certainly not for you, I guess, Lin), I thought I'd point out that Canada has some darker moments in its history concerning this kind of stuff, too.

When I heard about this story, which was in the news about a year and a half ago, I was shocked and very, very frightened.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sort of reminds me of the white australia policy - all the "coloured" people were taken from their families and put in orphanages. Sometimes they went to white families where some were sexually abused. There was no sex ed - one girl got her period and thought she was bleeding to death!

The basic idea of the policy was to breed out non-white people. They plucked aboriginal children from everywhere, many who never saw their families again.

Today, the people are asking our prime minister to apologize for the mistakes of the government in the past and on behalf of the white people. He says his goal is Reconciliation, but he won't apologise. Did you see the "Sorry" shirts Midnight Oil wore during the Olympics? Yep, thats what they were for. It seems the entire nation except John Howard an Pauline Hanson are for reconciliation.

Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Pauline Hanson.

She annoys the crap out of me and it's scary because I wouldn't want to go study in Australia knowing that such people could be in power.

She should just go back to her fish and chip shop. Sigh.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pauline Hanson is probably the only redhead I DON'T love.

Too bad if she did reopen her shop she would be forced back into politics because she went broke only selling food to white people.

Why can't we all just get along?
Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I find really sad about the family planning system in China?

The fact that, sometimes, straight after a second child is born, it is put to death via an injection in front of it's mother, and then the mother is sterilized. That really is sad.

Pauline Hanson could disappear for all I care. Some of her policies and ideals are just plain disgusting.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz

[This message has been edited by $uMMeR (edited 04-01-2001).]

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again some sad news showing what state forced family planning is doing in China:

"China Captive dies after fall"

quote:
A 34-year-old mother of two died hours after being taken from her home by Chinese birth control officials who wanted to sterilize her against her will, a relative said Saturday.

The officials told the family of Sun Zhonghua that she died Wednesday afternoon after jumping from a four-story window, said the relative, who asked not to be named.

But the relative said bruises on Sun's face led him to believe she had been beaten to death, probably for refusing to cooperate with the procedure.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-19-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for doing something about over-population, but I very firmly believe that this should be done through education, not force. No one should ever be forced to have an abortion.

And Lin, please don't let Pauline Hanson stop you from coming to Australia- she represents a minority of mostly uneducated people- she may have been voted in, but she definitely doesn't speak for all of us, as you've probably gathered. It makes me really sad that one ignorant woman is giving the country such a bad name with people who'd like to come over here.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Oh wow. I just used that same article in the other family planning thread.

And no worries Beppie hon, I have been to Oz a zillion times and people have been nothing but absolutely friendly. Except for when I was 8 and a woman threw me out of the bookshop for browsing through a book. I love Australia and nothing will put me off your beautiful country. It would be nice though if she really went back to frying her fish and chips.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.