Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Planed Parenthood vs Family planing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planed Parenthood vs Family planing
sweet chick
Neophyte
Member # 1440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The War is on! Where I live (<----- see below name) They resently built a planed parent hood building. THere have been pro-life protesters picketing there for quite awhile now, even before the place was built. NOw they plan to build a Family planning center.. RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET!
Is that crazy or what? They finally desided to do this when the first abortion took place a few weeks ago. They have had to increase security around the building, for the saftey of the doctors, voluntres, and the visitors. They shouldn't even need to have security guards at the doors a a planned parenthood, or any place like that. It isn't even close to a bad neighborhood, so they don'y have to worry about anything like that.
Now, don't you think that putting a Family planning center across the street is a bad idea? It is going to scare off people, maybbe more than the protesters do. What are your feelings about that? PLease tell me.

------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world;
Those who make things happen,
Those who watch things happen,
And those who wonder what happened.
Which one are you??

Sweet Chick

Posts: 39 | From: the nose ring of iowa. ( get out a map of the USA and look it up peeps) | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crazy thing about that is that Planned Parenthood offers a VARIETY of services, most of which are not abortive services, but sexual health and contraceptive services.

And picketing against STI testing or GYN exams doesn't speak well of supporting women's health or the health of the children they may someday bear.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68063 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't aware that Planned Parenthood offers abortive services.. does it?

------------------
"Those who don't got it, can't show it. And those who got it, can't hide it."

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are family planning clinics? Sorry, i'm not terribly informed, but i do know what planned parenthood clinics are.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Family Planning Clinics, like Planned Parenthood usually offer a wide range of services, including birth cointrol, GYN exams, STD/STI testing, and in some cases, abortive services.

------------------
Heather Corinna

Posts: 68063 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh....i see, makes sense.
I agree, this seems like an odd and bad idea. And just for the record, i am pro-choice, and do not think that poeple should be picketing at all like that.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with anyone who protests against America's Holocaust.
Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
baptist, i really didn't want to get into this, but i think it's really disrespectful of you to call abortion "america's holocaust." for one thing, abortions are practiced throughout the rest of the world. for another thing, the word "holocaust" is used to describe something ineffably terrible, a vast catastrophe that has killed millions of people. i understand that you believe abortion to be just such a thing, but for those of us who disagree with you (and this IS, just to remind you, a pro-choice forum) calling abortion holocaust is disrespectful to the real meaning of the term.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly Baptist I understand your sentiments. Indeed, in a perfect world I would support them. In that world there would be no need for abortions as everyone would make responsible choices about sex and be educated to protect themselves from pregnancy. This perfect world would also not contain rapists because they would have recieved phsychiatric treatment before harming anybody. Unfortunately we dont live in a world like that, so there will always be a need for abortion in several cases.

Neway, sounds very strange to me that they are building for very similiar services (am I right, they sound the same) EXCEPT one will provide abortions and one will not. What a waste. Over here, I dont believe we have many of these centres. I believe we have information centres but the actual medical side tends to be implemeted into normal clinics and hospitals.

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that in this context the term "family planning center" means a pro-life equivalent of planned parenthood. like how "pregnancy crisis centers" strongly urge adoption, having the baby as opposed to abortion.

can someone please clarify?

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err ... I always thought of them as one and the same, Em.

PP is sort of a family planning centre, right? Pregnancy crisis centres are probably somewhere along the same lines, but would push more towards abortion ... that word "crisis" just doesn't sit well w/ me.

------------------

Go LEAFS Go !!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

They are NOT the same.

Family planning centers are usually staffed by clinicians, doctors and counselors, as well as some volunteers, all of whom are actually certified in their fields. They offer sexual health services, birth control, GYN exams, STD/STI and pregnancy counseling and help and some offer abortive services.

"Pregnancy crisis" centers are VERY rarely staffed by anyone even minutely qualified, and do not offer ANY of the above services. In addition, some will even falsely advertise that they do, and/or use material and propaganda which is coerscive and without any medical or scientific merit.

------------------
Heather Corinna

morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one thing, no Planned Parenthood I know of in the country performs abortions. They refer you to places that will, but they don't do them. And second of all, Planned Parenthood IS a family planning service...

Besides, PP offers a lot of services that help PREVENT people from having abortions in the first place.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually, in terms of abortion and Planned Parenthood clinics, that varies from clinic to clinic. Many Planned Parenthood locations do perform abortive services, in addition to other sexual health services.

------------------
Heather Corinna

$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confused Boy,

What about in cases of rape? I mean, honestly, you can't say that a woman has taken responsibility for her actions when she's been raped.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you buy condoms at a PP center?

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually, condoms are usually FREE at Planned Parenthood clinics.

------------------
Heather Corinna

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sexual health clinic isn't PP, but there they give out 10 free condoms, and the rest you can buy for 25c. On my last visit, the very kind nurse gave me two female condoms. Now i just gotta experiment w/ 'em ... hehe
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$uMMeR -
As said in my original post, rape would not happen in a perfect world as potential rapists would be identified and recieve treatment before they committed the crime. What I am saying is that abortion should not be the only and best solution. But I am not saying that abortion should be banned, that would be like surgically removing spots from a person with chicken pox! Instead you tackle the problems in society that necessitate abortion. An obvious example is sex education. Finding rapists before they commit crimes is quite a bit harder, I admit.

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm. where i grew up, pro-life reactionaries torched the local Planned Parenthood clinic. i don't even think they offered pregnancy terminations. *sigh*

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.