Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Why Are Some People Monogamous, Anyway?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Are Some People Monogamous, Anyway?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[url=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010425/sc/science_monogamy_dc_1.html ]This article[/url] has some new (well, not really, but brought up again) ideas from a few scientists postulating as to why.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean this article.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very very interesting stuff...

I didn't know that birds only have sex when the female is fertile. I thought they just went along w/ the other animals and only did it when the "time was right" ...

I love sexology stuff

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that article today also, it was very interesting!

My main question with the study was, what about couples who choose not to have sex, for whatever reason? What keeps the male in that relationship monogamous? Is it the idea that they'll one day have sex? Or is it another factor which was not addressed in this particular study?

Still an interesting study, though!

--Danny

------------------
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I think that the study was addressing the purely instinctive aspects of relationships. In other words, that's how the majority of humans would be (if the study is correct, that is), if they didn't have emotions and reason and any other number of other factors influencing them.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an interesting study but i can't help thinking it perpetuates the stereotype that men basically are only able to think with the lower half of their bodies.

But isn't it true that besides humans, only dolphins have sex for physical pleasure.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it doesn't account for the fact that we women sometimes think with our lower halves too.

I do think it's true that a lot of women do feel the desire to have more sex when fertile (I know it's the case with me), but we also feel the desire to do so at other times in our cycle, including, very often, during menstruation, when we are least likely to fall pregnant (of course you still can fall pregnant then, I'm not saying it's at all impossible ). The article doesn't seem to acknowledge that women can be sexually demanding.

I also think that it very likely has a strong social bias- people in western societies are often brought up to learn the old "men give love to get sex, women give sex to get love" line- and that's what the article seems to be saying. I wonder what someone from a highly polygamous culture would think.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin: It's my field, so I have to respond! Dolphins, bonobos, and humans are the only or among the only animals known to have sex often for non-reproductive (i.e., social/pleasure) reasons.

Dolphins and bonobos use sex extensively for social bonding. Bottlenose dolphins spend approximately 30% of their time engaging in sexual behavior, which is male-male, male-female, and I believe sometimes female-female. Juveniles, as young as a few days old, are known to engage in sexual behavior (sometimes with the mother). Possibly sexual behaviors include inserting the rostrum in a partner's genital slit and pushing them along, often while buzzing or clicking. Both male and female dolphins are known to masturbate, rubbing their genitals against inanimate objects, such as bouys, or other things that happen to be handy, such as passing seaturtles. Dolphins, especially males, are known to direct sexual behavior towards humans, especially females (this can be very dangerous for the humans), and there was a case in captivity where a female dolphin attempted to solicit sex from a fur seal (Tayler and Saayman, 197something...).

In Australia, male dolphins will form coalitions and herd a female (who is generally trying quite hard to get away) to themselves for weeks or months at a time, very much the same way that chimpanzees will.

While male-female penetrative sex in dolphins is a very rapid event, pair activities leading up to it occasionally take several hours, and include everything from gentle caresses, to gentle teeth raking, to one dolphin charging toward the other to turn and swipe by at the last moment.

The Hawaiian slang "Hana nai'a," literally translated as "dolphin work," is used to refer to sex. It was also the name of Dr. Norris's research project in Kealakekua, back when. (read Norris, K. "Dolphin Days: the life and times of the spinner dolphin")

Bonobos (the so-called "pygmy chimpanzees", a different species than chimpanzees. Yes, we humans have FOUR sibling species. Kanzi is probably the most famous bonobo, language-trained with great success under Dr. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh) are the only other primates besides humans that can have penetrative sex face-to-face, belly-to-belly. They often do, although a variety of other positions are also used. Most interestingly, bonobos have been observed using seemingly symbolic (!!) hand gestures to indicate a desired sexual position. Little is known about this behavior so far, but oddly enough, it could very well be a precursor to linguistic behavior. Female-female sexual activity is especially common in bonobos, and seems to reaffirm social bonds, and perhaps be used in determining social status. May be used as greeting behavior. In other words, a lot like grooming is for many species.

Unfortunately, I know less about bonobos than dolphins, and a little less about social/sexual behavior than cognitive behavior.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Beppie: from what anthropology I've read, while strict monogamy is relatively rare as a cultural standard (and almost doesn't exist in practice), very poly cultures are almost nonexistant as well--it's just too expensive. I think serial pair-monogamy is actually slightly more common than anything else, which is really kinda weird, which is why scientists are trying to come up with a reason for it. Limited polygyny is practiced in a reasonable number of cultures, and polyandry in a very small percentage. If I have a chance, I'll try and find the numbers...
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't science amazing? I had always wondered why guys are always so horny, but after my biology class this year, I know it's not their fault...it's all in evolution.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Eclipse, that was really really interesting!

quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse:
Both male and female dolphins are known to masturbate, rubbing their genitals against inanimate objects, such as bouys, or other things that happen to be handy, such as passing seaturtles.

"other things that happen to be handy, such as passing seaturtles". Turtle dildoes! How very practical!

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that on the radio today. I thought that was interesting. I didnt know about the fertile thing either.

What should keep the man in a relationship, is that he loves the person hes with, not just for sex. Love isnt just sex, and your relationship can't be based on sex. (Just what I think).

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Eclipse hon.

That was certainly very interesting. But herding a female for months? Oh boy.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.