Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Giving money, to stop drug addicts from having kids...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giving money, to stop drug addicts from having kids...
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my paper last weekend, there was an article. There is a group in California called C.R.A.C.K. They basically pay drug addicts (proving you're a drug addict from court papers, rehab papers, or police records)$200 cash to put them on a semi-permanent birth control, usually through a shot. Although some of the people who go and get this use the money to buy more drugs, many use the money for diapers, food, bottles, etc for their babies. What started off the program were the amount of drug users who didn't use condoms or forgot who ended up pregnant and having kids. One woman, who has adopted 6 children from the same drug user (all 6 children had heroin and marijauna in their systems at birth) thought it was a great idea, what do you think?

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just give them a lifetime supply of condoms?

Of course, with some major education about STD's and STI's.

------------------
Sin by thy lips? Oh trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again!

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 03-19-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't we just make drugs legal? I don't advise drug taking of any variety (including nicotine and the most dangerous drug, alcohol) but the War on Drugs is a total failure. It makes criminals of those who need cash to feed their habits. It encourages needle sharing as a way to keep down expenses.

The only organization that really benefits from the War on Drugs is the Mafia. And it has made organized crime a wealthy and potent political and economic force.

------------------
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular."

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think giving out condoms is a great idea but most often when soemone is using drugs (and I am including alcohol in my statement) judgement when it comes to STD prevention and prevention of pregnancy goes out the window. In theory offering semi permanent birth control makes more sense but it doesn't tackle any STD issues.

It is all so troubling!

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only does it not address STD issues (no small oversight, that), it's dangerously close to being semi-involuntary temporary sterilization for "the lower class."

This could go somewhere bad, methinks. Especially with the people who AREN'T the drug users, the ones very far removed from these situations, and even the adoptive mother o' crack babies making the decisions.

This seems like coercion to me.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a CBC news posting binge today.

How about taking money from drug users? The province of Ontario plans to introduce mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients. It's sad to see the Ontario government trying to take the dignity away from groups who are least able to defend themselves.

On the topic at hand, I think that this is a sad idea. It isn't the place of any group in society to tell others to have children or not to have children.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting point at the end, dzuunmod. i agree that one's reproductive rights are one's own. but still, i feel bad for the children who have to suffer because their drug addicted parents can't or won't raise them properly.

if the drug addicts voluntarily show up to get contraceptive treatment, i don't see a problem. i do, however, cannot accept involuntary sterilization of people regardless of illness or mental capacity.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the involuntary sterilization of the mentally incompetent, it's not a cut and dried arguement.

What is your duty as a parent if you have a mentally handicapped adult child? I have a friend raising her Down's Syndrome son. This isn't a kid, he's 35 years old. With modern medication he could live to be 70. She has cancer and must make arrangements for his care after she is gone. With him, he has never manifestly shown any sexual urges so he is unlikely to impregnate someone.

But what if the child had been female? Females don't need to be interested to get pregnant. It happens to them in institutions and group homes. As a parent, what are your obligations to an adult mentally handicapped child? Do you want her to concieve and undergo a pregnancy she can't understand? Do you want her to give birth to a child she cannot keep because she is incapable of rearing it?

These are questions parents face when they must cope with a mentally incompetent adult child. I don't think that a blanket statement that involuntary sterilization is immoral and shouldn't be done is sufficient. What alternatives are available to protect these children?

In Canada the advocates of sterilization of mentally incompetent children are not outsiders, they are the parents themselves.

------------------
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular."

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.