Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Romance Novels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Romance Novels
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Lin the curious one today.

How many of you guys and girls read romance novels? It can be Danielle Steel (Smurfie, I see you), Judith Macnaught or those with a hunky long haired Adonis posing on the cover.

Has it in anyway affected your views on what a relationship is about and how your bf should be?

I used to be an avid reader of Judith McNaught, Sandra Brown and Judith Krantz novels. They had a great impact on my relationship with my bf. Many times I asked to break up because I wanted that rich, gorgeous, understanding guy I read in the novels.

I formed an unrealistic impression on what love, men and relationships were all about and up till now, my bf is still very sore about it. I used to compare him to the characters in the books (yes, I have the maturity level of a 1 year old) and he got very hurt.

Has this happened to any of you? Or is this happening to any of you?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back my grandmother had lots of old romance novels that she was getting rid of, so I took some of them. They were mostly harlequins. I found them to be pathetic and unrealistic after a couple of chapters.

------------------
"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who are not artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid."
-Jules Feifer

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a lit major. Honestly, I've always been way too much of a literary snob to even flip through the pages of standard pulp romances, let alone read them.

But an interesting note: a year and some back, I did a talk with another erotica editor for the Library Association about sexual material in the library. A few librarians said there wasn't any in their libraries (men said this) and my answer was , "Bollocks. Sure you do. Hit the romance section, buddy."

Honestly, these guys had no idea what was in most romance novels, and all the female librarians turned five shades of pink, even the little old ladies. I got in trouble with some of them later for letting out the Big Secret.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*blushes*

Alright ... I've been known to read a few Danielle Steel books I just love them. I'm not really the romance type, but that's the only kind of books i read.

I've always had a more realistic view on relationships though. It's only a fairytale to me. Complete w/ prince charming and everything. It's real for the 30mins that i'm reading the book, but as soon as i stop, i'm back to real life. I try not to put unrealistic expectations on my bf b/c i know i'd be pissed if he did that to me ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, i adore trashy bodice-ripping romance novels. i will not even try to justify that; it's one of my many secret vices. i don't think it has to do at all with my views on relationships. i just like them.

in 10th grade, my school's chorus went on a trip to amsterdam and germany, so my best friend and i each bough like 4 trashy romance novels to read on the buses and plane rides. i'm a big fan of reading trash when i'm traveling. it's like an excuse to do so, i guess. he he he.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that the occasional trashy romance novel is my own little secret indulgence. There's just something about reading a completely un-realistic romance novel that just makes a girl feel better sometimes! I don't think it has anything to do with the way I view a relationship though.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're kinda trashy, but I like to read them on vacation. I call them my "beach books" cuz they're easy and great to read at the beach or whenever you're bored! I find them to be so fake that I would never take them seriously though.

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy!

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey don't trash those trashy romance novels (LOL). One of the best books I ever read was called American Star by...uh I forgot. It was funny tho... and long. That sucker was over 1000pgs. But it was good anyway.

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried several time, sometimes just because the books had such groovy retro covers, but I guess they just weren't trashy enough. I'd rather they either just had sex in the first chapter, or were just more blatantly over the top. But I guess just because I can write with extreme hyperbole doesn't mean I can expect it of everyone else.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
milke-

i know what you mean! the way i pick my trashy romance novels is when i'm at the bookstore, i flip to a random page, and if that random page contains a sex scene the book qualifies as being trashy enough. probability and whatnot.

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL at you guys, this is hilarious. I never realized this was so widespread.

I'm with the travel-readers...I like to pick up something horribly trashy now and then. definitely with em and milke in that it MUST start off with a bang, if you know what I mean. if I'm going to read something trashy, it had better be TRASHY.

oh, and one more thing...there were girls in high school (me included) who used to try to beat the others for the most kinky sex scenes found in a romance novel...I'm trying to remember the ultimate winner's title, but it escapes me.

fun stuff, if you don't take it seriously.

oh, and a little factoid: over half the new books sold in America are romance.

bleh. ;P

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.