Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Which religion does not allow its followers to masturbate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which religion does not allow its followers to masturbate?
berzerk
Neophyte
Member # 19772

Icon 5 posted      Profile for berzerk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And is an orgasm when your genitals/around there get very sensitive and you can't masturbate anymore?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. An orgasm is a sexual climax. Usually it involves a very pleasurable feeling around your genitals, ending usually in ejaculation for men, and a series of contractions in the vaginal wall for women.

I don't know of any religions with say, crystal clear, in black and white that anyone who follows that religion cannot masturbate. Masturbation is a choice completely up to you in most cases, but maybe someone is of a strict religion can help out with that.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
banddryad
Activist
Member # 18520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for banddryad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the relion thing, I am aware that orthodox Catholics tend to believe that masterbation is a sin.. They believe that, for one, masterbation will distract one from worshiping God.
And more prominently, they have the belief that masterbation is, in a sense, a sin for wasting semen.. It comes with believing that sex should only be for the purpose of reproduction, and any activity that ends up without conception is a sin. Which is what leads them to dissapprove of contraceptives, like condoms and other birth control.

I recall quite a range of religions saying something about masterbation being some sort of abomination (not just Christian religions).. But I also believe that the belief was not too enforced.. And as with anything in religion, it's all how you interpret it.

Posts: 95 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within all religions, there tend to be a wide range of interpretations of doctrine - especially when it comes to sex and sexuality.

Some Christian churches will teach that masturbation is sinful, while others don't. The various Buddhist traditions include a very wide range of attitudes to sexuality.

So you really can't say that this or that religion as a whole forbids masturbation.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.