Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Religious conflicts within family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Religious conflicts within family
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! So within these past few months, I have really become close with the Islamic religion and have really been thinkin of becoming Muslim. The problem is that I was raised in a hard core catholic family and my dad and I always fight about religion because I have never liked being catholic. I'm afraid of telling them that I want to be Muslim because afraid that they will hate me forever:( any advice would help please!
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kathryn,

I'm sorry to hear that religion is such a source of tension between you and your dad.

Are there members of your family you feel more comfortable talking to about this subject (mom, sibling, aunt, etc)? Also, are you living with your dad at the moment?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's not anyone I can talk to about this issue that's in my family because they are all against other religions:( and yes I live with both of my parents.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one place to start might be by visiting a mosque, if you haven't already (I'm assuming you have if you are at the point where you're thinking about a religious conversion), and asking to talk to a religious leader or educator there, even just a fellow community member.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't actually visited the mosque yet because I can't go without my parents finding out, but I do know the sweet ladies that help run the mosque because they attend the Muslim prayer group that I go to with my friends. I will try my best to talk to them but do you have any advice about how to discuss this situation with my parents so that they can be understanding?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about you ask the people in your Muslim prayer group about that?

Really, the issue of religion and discussing it with parents is pretty far afield of what we do as a sex and sexual health education service and organization, especially when the religious conflicts aren't about sexuality.

So, besides this topic really being outside our scope, I also think that the people who are becoming part of your own faith community are likely the best folks to talk with about this anyway.

[ 10-30-2013, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.