Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Do I need help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I need help?
pyrotech
Neophyte
Member # 107386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyrotech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, pyro here.

To give some perspective, I'm a 17, an aspie, concurrently enrolled in community college classes, single, and my parents got separated in march (my sister and I are staying with mom.)

Tonight, a few hours ago, I sat down with my sister after my mom went to bed and we decided to watch a movie together. In case you're wondering the movie was Wolf Children, a highly emotional anime movie that I can honestly reccomend to even the most un-anime savy person. But movie recommendations aside, after the movie was over and I had stopped bawling like a 3 year old I was talking to my sister about how our lives were going. Then after a little bit of talking about our parents separation...I just broke down. I honestly don't know if I was crying for 10 minutes or half an hour, but thankfully my sister stayed and tried to calm me down. I was blubbering on about how scared I was. About being alone, letting my friends and family down, failing another semester, not amounting to anything... So after I calmed down I finalized a decision that I had been brewing over a while: after this semester ends, I'm taking a break from college. I'm going to find a job, help out with expenses, and really try to figure out my life. Now this break down has had me wondering, do I need therapy? Do I just need to stop pretending like everything's ok? Do I just need to be more open with my family? I'm feeling lost on the next step here. Also, at one point when I was calming down I noticed my mom stopped snoring so she might have heard, more on that as it develops.

--------------------
Cheers!
Pyro.

Posts: 32 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think of therapy as more often a want versus a need.

So, I'd perhaps instead start with: do you want therapy/counseling? Does it seem like it would help you out to have a neutral, third-party, qualified and educated per providing guidance and support, and in helping you develop coping tools for yourself?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyrotech
Neophyte
Member # 107386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyrotech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been taught that therapy is something that is needed more often then wanted. If you need therapy, it's because something's wrong, if you want therapy, it's because you know something's wrong. I'm honestly not sure anymore if something's wrong or I'm just going through the motions.

--------------------
Cheers!
Pyro.

Posts: 32 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd say that's not a sound way to look at it, even though I know it's a popular notion.

This is more the way we -- and most counselors -- tend to see it: Sound Counsel: About In-Person Counseling & Therapy.

And as it says there, feeling stuck -- and what you're describing sounds to me very much like feeling stuck -- is one of the most common reasons people tend to seek out therapy or counseling.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pyro!

You know? I think that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about what therapy really is. To me, therapy is just a tool anyone can use if they want/need to. And tools are okay.

Let's try to see this in other way. If you had a leak in your faucet and you don't know how to fix it, I don't see any problem in calling a plumber to help you. After all, we don't have to know everything in life. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.