Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Help with course selection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with course selection
Mimiko
Neophyte
Member # 106877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

So I'll be in college in two years, I already graduated high school in the philippines but we are migrating Canada and I need to repeat because the system here is not k-12 . [Frown]

Originally, I wanted to become a doctor (dermatologist) or -an architect but I'm 16 now and by the time I finish high school I'll be 18 and doctor studies takes 12-13 so by the time I graduate college I'll be 28 which I can not afford because its expensive and I have a sibling and I'll be too old by then.

With the architecture, I'm not really good at math and my drawing are not for real (I draw one eyed animes!)

Im thinking about dentistry, interior design and pre med courses or psychology.

Can you help me with this? I mean interested in everything Its just the length of the courses and do you know any courses that wouldn't take too long but the salary is amazing (well its all about the salary)

Hope for your opinions, thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Recovering :)

Posts: 17 | From: Philippines | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is really within Scarleteen's scope but I'm free at the moment and from Canada so here's what I'd suggest.

Firstly, in case you're not aware, 18 is the normal age to graduate in Canada so you won't be graduating behind schedule in case you had that impression.

With that said grades 11 and 12 tend to have a relatively large degree of freedom in course selection, particularly grade 12 (though this varies by province). In determining what courses you should be taking the best thing I can advise you to do is to talk to the school counselors at the high school you'll be going to. Once you're in Canada and know what school that is you can go in and talk to the counselors who can help you figure out what are the best classes for you. They can also talk to you about career choices, where to find more information and what your best options are at this point.

ALso, while I wouldn't suggest going into a field for salary alone, do know that if you're worried about cost of programs you really want to pursue many bursary, scholarship and student loan programs are available in Canada (though again you'll want to talk to your counselors about those, especially if you'll be a landed immigrant and not citizen when you enter university). And, particularly at the graduate level, research money is often available.

Ultimately though there aren't many guaranteed money maker jobs out there that don't require also putting in a lot of schooling. Most of the jobs you've posted here require a graduate as well as undergraduate degree (meaning at least 6 years of study if not more). There's no guaranteed fast track to getting rich and really, while thinking about whether you can make a livelihood out of what you're doing is important, I'd say that figuring out if you'll be happy doing it is equally important if not more so.

That said here's a government of Canada website that can help you figure some of the education requirements etc. out

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng

You might also want to look at some Canadian university websites to get a feel of what the cost and requirements (grade and class wise) are for the program's you're interested in.

EDIT: The Government of Alberta has a pretty good site for high school students trying to figure out career paths too if you're interested http://alis.alberta.ca/index.html

[ 04-16-2013, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: skiesofgreen ]

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I just want to throw out there that knowing what you want to do at 16 isn't a life or death kind of thing. In other words, not selecting exactly the right courses right now isn't going to throw your whole career path off. It could add a year or so if you decide to hugely switch career paths once in university but even that, in the big scheme of things, isn't a big deal. Lots of people enter university with only a general feel for what they want to do and get more sure as they start taking courses and see that they're good at. So at this point I really wouldn't sweat it.

Talk to the counselors, figure out what you're generally interested in, and don't freak out if you're not positive what you want right now. Lots of people aren't.

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you're certainly interested in doing something in Science. The name of courses varies by province but basically what you'll need to take in grade 11 and 12 is Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (2 math courses in Grade 12). As skies of green said, talk to school counsellors and there are any services available to you as an immigrant (esp one who has not reached the legal age of majority) I'm sure that they have experience helping people with the very same question.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimiko
Neophyte
Member # 106877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys [Smile]

I guess I'm jealous that my friends here will be in college for in a few months, I lived here all my life so I'm not really used to new people and places [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Philippines | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

For sure, moving to a new country is a big life change and, I imagine, a lot to adjust to. And I know I'd probably be bummed about finding out that I'm suddenly going to have to put in two more years of study too. But, hey, think about it this way, it gives you two extra years to try and sort out what direction you want to take in college, something that could potentially be a positive for you if you're not sure what you want to do yet.

I hope the move goes well for you and that you enjoy the experience of living somewhere new. =)

Mimiko
Neophyte
Member # 106877

Btw guys, what time do you go to school there?
I used to go at 7 in the morning and I go home at 5 pm so is it the same?? And do you get to pick classes? Because I've been reading and researching and I don't know how grade 11 and 12 goes [Frown] .

--------------------

skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

This is really going to vary by province, since education is a provincial matter in Canada and each one does it a little differently. Also, the exact time school starts and ends can vary a bit by individual school, depending how they work out their breaks, so even within a province their may be some variation.

Coming from British Columbia I can tell you what school is like here, which I think will generally correlate to other provinces, but be aware this might not be exactly the case where you're moving to.

In BC school starts around 8am and goes to around 3-3:30, so your days are most likely going to be shorter than what you're used to. As far as course selection goes, you will get to choose some of your courses in grade 11 and 12, though which those are is going to vary. In general you have some perimeters (like having to take English, at least one science, at least one math etc.) but have a pretty good degree of flexibility in determining what classes exactly you want to take.

If you know what city/area in that city you'll be moving to you could try looking up local schools and looking at their websites to see if they have any more information.

Here's a government website for new immigrants that breaks down how education works in Canada by province, maybe this will help you out:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-education.asp

Also:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-education-choose.asp

Mimiko
Neophyte
Member # 106877

Thank you so much for helping me!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.