Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Clothes, clothes, clothes!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothes, clothes, clothes!
Ohana626
Activist
Member # 56775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ohana626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,
I hope this is in the right section, but if not please let me know!

I'm a cis female and am generally comfortable in "female" clothing, aka the clothes in the "junior" or "misses" department of clothing stores. I think girls clothes are cute and I enjoy wearing them.

Summertime, however, is a different story. I have large thighs and I don't like it when my shorts ride up between my legs, but I don't really like the bermuda shorts they make for girls either. They're too tight. I generally spend my summer in cotton ("sweat") shorts (and I'm sad to say my only pair of jean shorts I actually liked ripped at the end of this past summer. RIP my favorite shorts!)

The end point of this is that I'd like to try wearing "guy" shorts, the ones that aren't skin tight and that go to the knees. They look so comfortable. The issue here is that I don't want to wear guy shirts, because like I said before I generally like girls clothing, especially tops. So my question is: is there any way to coordinate female tops with guy shorts? Or do guy shorts look silly unless paired with the guy/unisex t-shirts?

Thanks! (:

Posts: 187 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cagedbird123
Activist
Member # 63989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedbird123         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all! I wear men's/boy's cargo shorts all summer long! They don't look bad with female tops. Mine look best with a tight fitting t-shirt. Just go to your local Walmart boy's section in summer and there should be lots of different shorts to choose from. Mix and mach them with any female appearel you find in the store and see if they work for you before you buy them.
Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, "men's" cargo shorts and tank tops have been one of my summer uniforms for years.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the major difference between "men's" cargo shorts and "women's" is that the men's fit better, are constructed better and actually have POCKETS so you only have to carry a purse or a bag if you want to. I find that the styles and patterns are about as similar as different pairs of shorts marketed to women.

I don't know about your body type, but for my body type "guy's" cargo shorts fit better.

I used to be really afraid of shopping in the "men's" section of the store, but now I pick up clothes and only notice what gender they are geared towards when I have to figure out what size to try on. I hope that you find trying guy's cargo shorts similarly liberating.

EDIT: totally optional question purely based on interest: is it summer where you are? I've always thought it neat that some countries have summer while I have winter.

[ 02-07-2013, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: moonlight bouncing off water ]

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, find women's cargo shorts to typically be total crap. There's usually little in the way of pockets, the material is usually hella thin, and the legs aren't as nice and roomy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.