Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Totally-Sentient, Shush-I'm-Not-Weird Art Equipment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Totally-Sentient, Shush-I'm-Not-Weird Art Equipment
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen several other users recently talking about the supplies/instruments they use for the art form they love being sort of "sentient" in their eyes. I'm totally like this too [Big Grin] I know we come across as totally weird to non-artists of the world; but here's the place to embrace and celebrate our weirdness openly and joyously!

I always take a while to "figure out" what gender my instruments are and what their names are, because I need to wait until it "feels right". Sometimes it takes months or even years to finally find a name that just sits perfectly.

For example, I have three instruments that are "living" in my eyes.

1. The first one to become "sentient" in my eyes was my acoustic guitar, who came into my possession in about the 7th grade. I figured out that she was a "she" by about the end of 8th grade, and during grade 9 I discovered that her name is Anna (her full name is "Shrapnel Anna"... don't look at me like that...)

2. Second was my electric guitar, who is a "he" and is simply named The Beast because he's so freaking heavy [Big Grin] (Also he's bad-*** and incredibly rare, with a gorgeous and unique sound, and he has a big "f*** off" attitude. Chyeah. Beast)

3. My baritone sax. This is the instrument I took the longest to figure out, because I wanted to be most careful about it since it's the biggest love of my life [Razz] I got the bari three years ago, before my first year of university.

I started to get kind of frustrated by the second year of not knowing, because sometimes I felt it was male and sometimes I felt it was female, everyone else seemed to know their instruments perfectly, and I felt like I was incompetent as a musician because I wasn't able to concretely figure out what gender it was and what its name was. But then I had an epiphany, and I'm embarrassed as to how long this took me!

My bari is genderqueer! Duh! We break all kinds of barriers together -- I mean who the heck even PLAYS the bari anyway? And a short little girl playing a humongous sax with a humongously huge sound? Very uncommon. So DUH zie just continues to break all barriers and expectations by being gender non-conforming [Smile] I'm still waiting for hir to reveal hir name to me, but I'm not frustrated anymore [Big Grin]

What about you guys? What instrument/art supply is so dear to you that it is "living" in your eyes? What's its name? When did you first figure out what its gender/name/personality was? Does anyone else have gender non-conforming instruments? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a violin that I named Sophia a while ago after the actress Sophia Loren. I'm kind of a fan of old movies, and I think she was absolutely gorgeous back in her acting career. I thought my violin sounded beautiful and so I figured I should name her after someone who's also beautiful. [Smile]

I have a few other friends who've named their instruments, too: a violinist who named her violin Fabio, another violinist who named hers Mr. Darcy and a violist friend who named her viola Vladimira. I have another friend who named his cello Valentia, but he claimed that it was a male cello.

[ 07-26-2012, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"unique is normal,
normal is weird,
weird is good"!

I think that covers it. [Wink] It's hard to not appreciate that logic, or to twist it, isn't it? [Smile]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MusicNerd: Yes, I'd agree that Sophia is very fitting for a beautiful-sounding instrument! [Smile] And your friends calling theirs Fabio and Mr. Darcy is hilarious XD
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Onionpie:
MusicNerd: Yes, I'd agree that Sophia is very fitting for a beautiful-sounding instrument! [Smile] And your friends calling theirs Fabio and Mr. Darcy is hilarious XD

Aww, thanks Onionpie! Yeah, my friends are pretty awesome. [Big Grin]
I have several other friends who've named there instruments, too; one named hers Carla and another friend named hers either Hugo or Oscar or something like that. I don't quite remember right now. [Razz]

So don't worry Onionpie, you are in very good (or as WesLuck would say, "very weird" [Wink] ) company. [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Onionpie, I love that you've named your acoustic guitar and your electric one. Having the best big brother ever who's the lead guitarist in a rock band, I can totally see that exercise working well. And "Beast" fits an electric perfectly! What make is it?

I have a clarinet that I got when I was in Grade 10 (9 years ago... Spooky! :S), but I don't think I've ever considered its gender or naming it. Now, I want to! What kind of musician am I for not considering Clarinet's feelings?!

I'm glad you know the identity of your baritone sax (awesome instrument choice, by the way!)! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MusicNerd:
So don't worry Onionpie, you are in very good (or as WesLuck would say, "very weird" [Wink] ) company. [Smile] [/QB]

Hey! You are not meant to read it that way! Weird is good, not good is weird! [Wink]

Well, I guess my great short phrase IS capable of being read differently... [Big Grin]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

quote:
Originally posted by WesLuck:
quote:
Originally posted by MusicNerd:
So don't worry Onionpie, you are in very good (or as WesLuck would say, "very weird" [Wink] ) company. [Smile]

Hey! You are not meant to read it that way! Weird is good, not good is weird! [Wink]

Well, I guess my great short phrase IS capable of being read differently... [Big Grin]

My bad, WesLuck! When I was typing, I figured whenever you would say "weird" it would mean the same thing as anyone else saying "good" since weird = good; I didn't mean for it to come off as "goodness = weirdness". LOL! [Big Grin]

By the way, Onionpie, how did you get the name Shrapnel Anna for your guitar? It sounds like a badass name for a rock star or a rock band or something! [Smile]

[ 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks copper! My electric guitar is a Gibson RD (factory standard, which is less valuable but still awesome), which were only produced for two years. They have a really unique sound and I love love love it.

MusicNerd: I came up with it because I was in a rock band at the time and I thought it was a pretty rock-star sounding name, too [Razz] It also just seemed to fit pretty well. I'm someone who likes playing around with words in my head to find seemingly random phrases that just sound nice to me, and Shrapnel Anna was one of those. Onionpie was another [Wink] I'm always a little embarrassed now by the rock-star guitar name so I tend to just call her Anna, but Shrapnel Anna does still weirdly fit.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Onionpie, every word of your original post Rocks.

My "sentient-object" is a "he" named Janis. We've been together 10 years, and I always knew he was a he, but not his name. He's also rather non-conforming male, but very definitely a "he".

He's loads older than I am, and I sometimes wonder about the people he was with before and what he was like with them, where else he's been in his life. He's better than I am, but he seems happy with me. Sometimes when other people try him, they say "oh he's gorgeous", or some such thing, which is always heart-warming. Mostly people also say "oh he's LOUD!!!" which is hilarious; once, a person whose own style was Immensely brash tried him, and they nearly took the roof off, and everyone jumped and stared... a dramatic match, but not necessarily a Practical one!

I was in a not-good relationship for quite a while, and although I didn't know it at the time, that got in the way of me relating to Janis and is partly why I didn't know his name. After that relationship ended, I finally bonded properly and found his name pretty quickly. He has a surname, too: "Verrot" (yep, Janis is originally French), which is an anagram of a hugely influential teacher and the person I discovered him with. It just seemed right!

I wasn't expecting to become partnered again, but one of the rules I had was: "Janis has to like them". That's slightly less dippy than it sounds! I figured that if anything negative showed up in how I related to Janis, it would be a good indicator that maybe it wasn't a positive/healthy person for me or for what I do with Janis. So. The second time I met the person who became Partner in person, we went back to mine, and I said, there's someone I'd like you to meet... Bear in mind that Partner had no previous contact with anyone who talks like we're doing on this thread, and imagine how off-the-wall they found it. Partner had no idea what to do, but totally took me seriously. In the next few days, everything with Janis felt good to me, and I thought, Partner, if you can handle That with respect and interest, then you are clearly who I think you are, and someone who would be positive for every important aspect of my life. And clearly, Partner is Partner, and is also the person I've been by far most comfortable sharing a space with while Janis and I work privately, and enjoys it themself - so my rather jumping-in-with-an-entire-centipede's-feet told me everything I needed to know and worked out great.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

This is a totally cool, Scarleteen-cool, off-the-wall, rocking thread! [Smile]
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

I'm happy to hear that janis has had such a positive influence on your life, redskies! And it's really great that your partner was understanding and respectful of the importance an instrument has in a musician's life [Smile]

And I love old instruments! Anna is about 42 now, which is very old for an acoustic guitar. My dad bought her when he was only 18, I think she was his second guitar (though she was his first GOOD one, not made of plywood [Razz] ). Her sound is like a fine wine, getting richer, with more depth over the years. My guitar teacher told me she was one of the most beautiful sounding acoustics he'd ever heard [Smile]

treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a cool thread. My acoustic guitar is Letitia or Lettie. Not sure why, that's just her name. [Smile]
Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

That's an awesome name for your guitar, treetops! [Smile] Do you think it suits her personality/what do you think her personality is?

[ 08-01-2012, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.