Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » A flair-up of homophobia???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A flair-up of homophobia???
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't usually get involved in political stuff, but I'm kind of bursting at the seams, and figured this would be a place where I was sure to get some like-minded opinions.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the Chic-fil-A controversy by now.

I live in a very conservative town, and the "chic-fil-a" appreciation day here had an overwhelming turnout. And I'm finding it extremely upsetting that there are so many people who are so determined to limit the rights of others when they don't even have anything to gain from it.

This is upsetting me a great deal, and as a heterosexual, cis-gender person, I'm not even as affected by it as others. I'm sure that those directly affected are even more upset about this than I am.

So, I guess I just decided to open this up for those of us who support equality but may or not have others around them that feel the same way to express their feelings in a place where they won't be ostracized or slandered.

[ 08-01-2012, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Atonement ]

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had not heard of the chic-fil-a controversy, so I looked it up online. I have to say that, as a Christian, this whole thing has me deeply upset.

I feel that many Christians forget that Jesus taught us to love others as we love ourselves; to treat others the way we ourselves would want to be treated; and to not judge others. I am so upset that general society sees this group of Christian activists (who are certainly entitled to their own opinions, even if I personally do not agree with them) and think that all Christians - or most of them - feel this way; when in actuality, I'm sure that many Christians don't. I'd love to talk and talk about how these types of Christians are being hypocritical and how they are being purposefully exclusive to homosexuals instead of inclusive - which goes against the entire principle of Christianity, which is to love others and share your faith with them if you feel that is something the other person would like - but I try to be careful when it comes to my spiritual rants; because I don't want to offend anyone. [Smile]

It's despicable that this is happening. It's not fair that homosexuals are treated this way by major companies. I'm certainly happy that a Christian organization is doing so well - I find that to be awesome and am not afraid to admit that - but I find it disheartening that they are gaining attention by doing exclusionary things and hurting others by doing so. Christians' aims are to love others, not spread judgement.

Atonement, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! It's nice to be in the know, especially regarding something as this. It makes me hurt inside, to think that people are hurting others and turning them away instead of extending love and acceptance.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you appreciated being informed about this! I was actually a little worried about bringing up something religious/political.

For the most part, I stopped identifying as a Christian for various personal reasons a couple of years ago. And unfortunately, due to the religious and political climate in my town, feel the need to be pretty much in the closet as far as my religion goes. But I have all the respect in the world for people of any religion who practice it with love and respect for others.

I know from experience that there are many, many Christians like that. And I will never understand why there seems to be an idea that opens-mindedness, acceptance, and Christianity can't go together.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading your initial post, Atonement, I went and looked up the following article. Which states:

"Last year, protesters accused Chick-fil-A of supporting an anti-gay agenda with donations, which the company has steadily denied. The company could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

A report from LGBT advocacy group Equality Matters concluded that Chick-fil-A donated more than $3 million between 2003 and 2009 to Christian groups that oppose homosexuality. In 2010 alone, the company gave nearly $2 million to such causes, according to the report."

This excerpt was taken from:

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-chick-fil-a-gay-20120718,0,3020372.story

Note: My commentary will not be targeting Christianity at all. It will, however, be targeting anti-LGBTQ and homophobic stances.

Now. That. Pissed. Me. Off. REALLY. BADLY.

And by really badly, I mean REALLY BADLY.

Alright. So the fact that the President of the company, Dan Cathy, made his anti-LGBTQ stance clear when interviewed pissed me off. But it was nothing new to me. Since I've heard many people in my life make homophobic remarks. It hurts, it upsets me, but it is nothing new.

HOWEVER. Things are different when a company donates more than $3 MILLION to organizations that oppose LGBTQ folks and the RIGHTS of LGBTQ folks.

As someone who identifies as bisexual with a preference for the same sex, THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF. And by really, I mean REALLY.

I am enraged, REALLY ENRAGED, beyond all coherent thought and speech!

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Just out of curiosity, do they have Chic-fil-a's in Canada, Sans?

I guess it's really bothering me because while I know there are plenty of people who oppose it in other places, in my city, the support for Chic-fil-a's agenda is overwhelming.

I'm hearing a lot of people are supporting it not because of them being against LGBT people, but because they feel Chic-fil-a's first amendment right to free speech has been violated.

The thing is, I don't think anyone is saying that Cathy did anything illegal, or that he should face any legal repercussions. But in my opinion, it's only common sense that if you say something that alienates as large of a population as the LGBT community and their supporters, don't be surprised when they stop buying your products.

In my opinion, they probably will face financial repercussions. Sure, they had overwhelming support yesterday, but it was only one day. However, those of us who have decided to boycott them will probably never eat there again. In the end, our effect will be much more long-term.

I know a lot of people have been quietly and individually boycotting Chic-fil-a for a long time because of their attitudes, and I always felt guilty whenever I ate there. Saying something homophobic is bad, but actively fighting the rights of others is much, much worse.

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first time that I'm hearing of Chic-fil-a's. I haven't seen them around anywhere I looked in Toronto, I know that much. I don't know about the rest of Canada, though.

Yeah. I saw a lot of stuff in different articles regarding free speech. And I don't think that it's a question of legality either. I agree with you in terms of it being common sense that, as a result of alienating the LGBT community, Chic-fil-a is going to be the recipient of protest.

Ugh. Definitely. I'm so pissed off that they would actively fight the rights of an entire group.

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I am aware we don't have Chick-Fil-A in Canada.

The first amendment right to free speech of Cathy hasn't been in any way denied, he very successfully stated his horrible homophobic and prjudiced views. And likewise everyone else has their right to free speech to respond in the way that they have.

The fact that they donate millions ofdollars to anti-LGBTQ groups disgusts me! In many places people say that these are his views, not the views of the company, yet look where their money goes!

It disgusts me beyond belief!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they have Chick-Fil-A in Canada, either. I've never seen one in the provinces in which I've lived; and I'm sure we would've heard more about it here, as well.

It disgusts me too, Moonlight. I'm so angry at the fact that this group is representing Christians everywhere. Yes, as you've said, Cathy has the right to state his views; but I feel like there is a way to do this properly and without hurting others. If one is against homosexuality, then that is absolutely their own decision and they have a right to it; BUT then I don't find it appropriate or civil (or even humane) that they flaunt their views to the point that it hurts others. And donating millions of dollars to anti-LGBTQ corporations or companies is definitely hurting others.

Just a random side rant, instead of those donations to those places, why can't all these people just donate to feeding the homeless or donate to places like China who desperately need the money? It disgusts me that in North America, we are so petty over who is what and who does what. If you are homosexual, have sex, dress differently, then you are labelled. But then there are the starving, dying, and the sick. THAT is where Christians and other supporters ought to be; not in denying other groups their right to free speech and to express themselves. Besides, if these anti-LGBTQ groups want their own voices heard, surely they would turn the other cheek and let these other groups' voices be heard, too.

Woo. That was my big rant on everything. Sorry! I've been in kind of a rotten mood today, and I guess I just wanted to get this out. It just makes me so angry that this group of people - with feelings, rights, and choices to be who they want to be - are being discriminated against or knocked around because of their sexual orientation. Again, I think these Christian groups can donate to missions organizations or to help feed kids, instead of donating to causes because they think people are of the "wrong orientation." I can go on and on about this, so I will shut up now. I hope this matter gets resolved somehow!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up moving into college a week early for work, and was given a card to get free food at the various restaurants around campus for that week, since dining plans wouldn't kick in yet. My mom and I didn't know, so we bought me a loaf of breed and a jar of peanut butter (despite me really disliking peanut butter).

I went to the student center the first day, looked around, saw that the only restaurant open was Chick-Fil-A, and promptly turned around, went back to my dorm, and ate my bread and peanut butter. I might be hungry, but I'd rather eat food I don't like all that much than give someone money that they could very well turn around and use to hurt me.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.