Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies?
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking into Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies as a possible major or minor. Does anyone here have experience with this program or know someone who does? If so, would you recommend it? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth it in the end? What kinds of careers are possible with this degree? Any insight would be appreciated. [Smile]

[ 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Roxie102 ]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those three combined sounds awesome!

I think the tricky thing is that any given school's program around any of these areas -- or, like yours, all three combined -- is going to tend to vary, just like it will vary for any given field of study.

But obviously, if you have a strong interest in these areas and, depending on the reason you're getting your education either a) have a strong enough interest it's what you want to pay for and spend four + years studying, and/or b) think you want to work in and want the education for that reason, then it seems it's be worthwhile.

With a degree like that and paying work, you'd likely be looking at teaching in those fields. That'd be where that kind of degree and major would most likely equal a stable paycheck. Certainly, a degree like that could also be helpful in writing about any or all of those issues, or doing something like teaching sex ed, but writing and doing sex ed rarely equal stable paying work, degree or no, and a degree won't likely equal any greater pay or access to it when using it for freelance work like that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently minor in Gender studies which cover's Women's Studies, Gender and Sexuality Diversity and Critical Men's Studies. It is absolutely thrilling and while it isn't really making me any more employable, I am thoroughly enjoying myself studying the subject. At my school you can study up to Bachelor's in Gender Studies.

I would recommend it as a means of broadening your own personal horizons and hopefully educating those around you. (Careful, people who haven't a problem with patriarchy will quickly label you a humorless femi-overlord who hates men...) As per career choices, there appears to be three jobs those with a major in Gender Studies do: Educators, or researchers for either gender or history and culture. Of course Finland is rather strict about degrees and occupations so chances are what you can or can't do will depend on where you are.

My personal opinion as a minor student: I love it.

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.