Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Henna Tattoos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Henna Tattoos
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a Henna Tattoo? Do you find it easy to draw on your own skin? Do they stain or smudge, or do they dry?

I ordered a cone of Henna skin dye today, so I was wondering if anyone's tried it? What did you draw/write?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my Indian friends have had henna'd hands and feet as part of their bridal ceremonies, usually done by makeup artistry type folks, very beautiful [Smile] no smudging when they do it!

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I've seen pictures of bridal ones on hands and feet; there are really beautiful! Do you know how long they last? [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loneranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they last for 2 weeks or so...depends on where it is....on your palms lasts for lesser time because , we keep washing our hands frequently.....on our feet they will be for a longer time, though they are not as dark as the hands.....though if you do apply on the nails, lasts for as long as a month.

Are you applying the design yourself? , i guess you can get good easy designs on the net-try searching for 'mehandi designs' - which means henna tattoo designs, but you get more results i think, though i am not really sure

--------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;

Posts: 94 | From: Hyderabad | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love henna tattoo. but i get someone else to do it for me because i always mess it up. i'd like to wear it all the time given the chance
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Yeah I'm doing it myself. [Smile] I'll search for 'mehandi designs', thanks Loneranger.

Can you put them in other places as well as hands and feet?

Selina, I hope you get to have more henna soon!

--------------------

loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loneranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes....u can....try first with simpler designs...and make sure to make only pin sized hole in the cone.......so that its easier for u to draw the designs or else it may become a little messy...and keep a cloth to immediately remove if it falls on ur fingers while using it or else u many have a small patch of henna on ur hand

in india its a tradition to apply to hands and feet.....but if u doing it for fun....u can apply any where but it wont be as dark

if u want it to be darker what u can do is make thick sugar solution and apply on it after it dries (just take a cup of water and add 4 teaspoons of sugar), thats what my friends do to make it darker......it will feel kind of sticky and all...but u'll like the darker shade of the tattoo

--------------------

Posts: 94 | From: Hyderabad | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

yes....u can....try first with simpler designs...and make sure to make only pin sized hole in the cone.......so that its easier for u to draw the designs or else it may become a little messy...and keep a cloth to immediately remove if it falls on ur fingers while using it or else u many have a small patch of henna on ur hand

in india its a tradition to apply to hands and feet.....but if u doing it for fun....u can apply any where but it wont be as dark

if u want it to be darker what u can do is make thick sugar solution and apply on it after it dries (just take a cup of water and add 4 teaspoons of sugar), thats what my friends do to make it darker......it will feel kind of sticky and all...but u'll like the darker shade of the tattoo

--------------------

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have henna tattoos, but this reminds me: I know someone who almost handed in somebody else's arm covered henna as their weekly sketch in art class.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Haha Moonlight. That's amazing.

Thanks for the info, Loneranger! I might make a sugar mix. Gonna try putting some on my hands in a sec.

--------------------

loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

thats great Ray ! Now i feel like getting one......that's what i will do...when i go home [Big Grin]

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Oh wow! Did you get one?

--------------------

loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

no...not yet...am going home next week...that's the first thing i am doing [Big Grin]

--------------------

newborn
Neophyte
Member # 95090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
henna may be applied in the face as well, but it's better to make only a small design there, and keep it away from the eyes.

--------------------
see ya!

Posts: 1 | From: India | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevin2011
Neophyte
Member # 95150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevin2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never tried it but it looks cool, there are lots of henna tattoo designs are available. If you are thinking about dryness then it is good to use all the precautions for this kind of tattoos.

[ 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
hi

Posts: 1 | From: newyork | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.