Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello, there,
i am very interested in getting a job that has to do with helping kids learn about sex. i am not to sure what it would be called or where i would go to get info.
I want to give kids the right information, help them though tough times where they are afraid to go to mom and dad.
can you please help me out.
thanks

Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure!

There are a lot of different tracks into doing sex education for a job, and a lot of different ways to do it.

So, a good first step is considering what your own skills and interests and and what kind of environment you'd want to work in. For instance, you can do sex ed as a writer, as a teacher in a classroom, as a public speaker who travels, in a medical setting...and more. Which you choose will tend to be based on your skills and interests, what kind of education you want to get to do this, and what kind of places you want to work in.

Whatcha think?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i would like to talk to teens about their bodies and the changes from periods to sex, as i never got taught them as i grew, i found the info from friends. not always the right info either. the setting maybe a medical setting.
Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay!

If you want to see what that's like right now, are there any teen clinics in your area? If so, you might be able to volunteer at them and even get some training as a peer educator. That way you can also see if this is the kind of work you'd like to pursue further and do some of what you want to sooner rather than later!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

yes we do have a teen clinic here, thanks so much for your help
Heather
Member # 3

Great! So, you can just call them up or even just go on by and ask if they want/need volunteers, and also ask if they have any peer-educator training.

They'll be lucky to have you!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really really want to have this as a career too. I'm hopefully getting a degree in English literature and creative writing soon so maybe that would help with writing books and leaflets? Would love to work in a clinic too; I'll find one and ask when I finish university. Travelling would be fun but going into schools looks a bit scary.

Sexology and sex therapy look amazing too, but I have no science qualifications...

Wow just I've just seen that there's a forum for people in Scarleteen peer-eductaion training?! I'd love to work for Scarleteen! Even voluntarily, how do people do that? *books flight to America* [Big Grin]

[ 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Well, sexology is a lot of different things. My friend Cory sums up all it can be here very well: http://sexuality.about.com/b/2010/04/19/whats-a-sexologist.htm

I think lit and writing make great starter backgrounds for doing sex ed, but then, I'm biased, since that's a good part of my own background. [Smile] That said, when it comes to written sex ed, being a good, engaging writer makes a very big difference and is a huge gift to have in your pocket.

What you'd just need to add to that, perhaps obviously, is some education -- however acquired -- in sexuality so you knew what you were writing about! You can get that via studying at school, in the field working (like in a clinic setting), by doing lots and lots of your own reading, or a combination of all three!

Per volunteering for us, we'd always love more volunteers, and have an application here: http://www.scarleteen.com/scarleteen_volunteer_application

Unfortunately, our budget last year didn't allow us to do the peer educator training program again. I'm hoping that will change in the coming year.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for the info! A combination of all three sounds brilliant! I definately would volunteer for the site, but there's so much university work that I haven't done at the moment. Cory really, really made me laugh with that comment about his hair [Big Grin]

[ 01-03-2011, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.