Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Want to be part of Our Bodies, Ourselves?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to be part of Our Bodies, Ourselves?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a couple of you may know, I'm doing some work this year as a contributing editor for the 2011 revision of Our Bodies, Ourselves. To say that's exciting is about the understatement of the century. Our Bodies, Ourselves, when it first came out in 1970, was such a landmark in women's sexuality and sexual health, and that legacy has never stopped: it STILL is an amazing resource, if not THE amazing resource.

But there's a way you can also take part in this revision:

quote:
Our Bodies Ourselves is seeking up to two dozen women to participate in an online discussion on sexual relationships. Stories and comments may be used anonymously in the next edition of “Our Bodies, Ourselves,” which will be published in 2011 by Simon & Schuster.

We are seeking the experience and wisdom of heterosexual, lesbian, bisexual and queer women. Perspectives from single women are encouraged, and you may define relationship as it applies to you, from monogamy to multiple partners. We are committed to including women of color, women with disabilities, trans women and women of many ages and backgrounds.

In the words of the brilliant anthology “Yes Means Yes,” how can we consistently engage in more positive experiences? What issues deserve more attention? And how do we address social inequities and violence against women? These are some of the guiding questions that will help us to update the relationships section in “Our Bodies, Ourselves.”

The conversation will start Sunday, Feb. 14 (yes, Valentine’s Day) and stay open through Friday, March 12.

Participants will be invited to answer relevant questions (view sample questions at Our Bodies, Our Blog) and build on the responses of other participants. We’ll use a private Google site to post questions and responses.

Personal stories and reflections are welcomed, along with updated research and media resources. While we intend to use some of the stories and experiences in the book, names will not be published.

We hope the open process* will spark robust discussion. We expect new questions to arise that challenge us to re-work this section even more.

If you would like to participate in this conversation, please e-mail OBOS editorial team member Wendy Sanford: wsanford@bwhbc.org

In your email, please tell us about yourself and what you would bring to the conversation. We need to hear from you by Feb. 5 and will let you know soon thereafter about participation. Thanks for considering this!

*We have thought a great deal about privacy. If you want to share a story or information, but do not want to participate in the private Google site discussion, please indicate that in your email. We may send you questions that you can answer on your own.

http://www.ourbodiesourblog.org/blog/2010/01/want-to-participate-in-updating-our-bodies-ourselves

I'd strongly encourage you to do this, especially since the voices of younger women so frequently go unheard and unrepresented. I'd love to see that change, as I'm sure you would, but it's up to all of you to be sure and take part!

[ 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool, thanks for posting it.

Hey, just mentioning this: but they're also preparing to put out a book that's Trans Bodies Trans Selves based on the original.

http://www.transbodies.com/AboutTheBook.html

This is a little off-topic - so feel free to tell me to get my own thread, but I wanted to give everyone a heads-up.

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks completely awesome, but just FYI, I don't think it's being done by OBOS or the Boston Women's Health Collective. I'll check, though.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it is Definitely Not. Gods, I should have been more clear. *Looks at the sentence again*

It was inspired by the authors/editors reading it.

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.