Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » privacy is pretty much dead now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: privacy is pretty much dead now
Dirigibles
Neophyte
Member # 46311

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dirigibles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sort of amazed that something like http://www.dirtyphonebook.com/ can exist. People are writing anonymous comments and talking trash about other peoples phone numbers. There are some hilarious and disturbing revelations there.

Even in America, do you think this is legal?

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's legal here if what is being said about a person is true. People's phone numbers are not legally protected in personal relationships (like they are, for instance, in healthcare), and someone saying true things about someone, however awful they may be, is lawful. That's about freedom of speech.

However, if what is being said is NOT true, then it's libel, which is not lawful.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny though, if you read their Terms of Service, it says one is not allowed to publish.. well, basically any of the stuff you see posted on the site. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the ToS.
Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DreamCatches
Neophyte
Member # 48877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DreamCatches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just scanned that site a bit and I find it disgusting (just my opinion though)... I don't think we need another place to bash people... especially giving out their phone numbers, but I'm not saying it's not legal in America, but it is against their own Terms of Service...

--------------------
Think of me, when you're out, when you're out there...

Posts: 34 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.