Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What are you watching? The TV, Film and so on thread (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are you watching? The TV, Film and so on thread (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be good to have a thread for this, as we already have a music one (and I think a reading one) so I'll start it.

Cardcaptor Sakura (Original language of Japanese with subtitles in English, The show has ended and is 70 episodes long with two movies, a short film released with the second movie and three "Tomoyo's Video Diary" shorts, all on Japanese language with English subtitles R1 DVD except for the Video Diaries which weren't released in the u.s., but out of print for years, I've watched episodes 1-27) - I love this show so, so much, it fills me up with happiness, it's one of the best children's shows I've ever come across. It's about an 8 year old called Sakura who finds a magical book and accidentally unleashes a deck of cards called the Clow Cards which were sealed by a magician called Clow Reed in the book, all the cards manifest themselves with different powers and Sakura must find them and capture them all with the help of the guardian of the seal, Kerberos, who was sleeping when Sakura let the cards out and who is currently in a form where they resemble a plush toy, and a magical key which transforms into a staff when Sakura recites an incantation. This is hardly the world's most unique plotline, but the show has beautiful artwork, good animation and is really about the characters, exploring their feelings with open hearted emotion, and it also has a much more embracing attitude towards homosexuality than many shows, Sakura's best friend Tomoyo is openly in love with her and they are both girls (though Sakura isn't in love with her, she does love her very much), Sakura's older brother Toya and his male best friend Yukito are gradually shown to be in love throughout the series, and Syaoran Li, a boy from Hong Kong who has ties on his mother's side to a group of sorcerers that followed the teachings of Clow Reed has a crush on Yukito, though his feelings are later shown to be more the result of being drawn to powers that Yukito has (unlike Sakura who really is in love with Yukito, until she gradually falls in love with Syaoran, who reciprocates her feelings, at least according to the wiki I found, having not seen the entire series I can't psychically tell what happens later on), Sakura has an accepting attitude towards his feelings for Yukito "Yukito is a lot older than you and me, Syaoran... but we can't help it, because we both like him", the series acknowledges childhood crushes on considerably older individuals without acting as if such feelings are appropriate to act on sexually with one another (with the possible exception of Toya's past relationship with a student teacher while in 8th grade, the series doesn't really imply they did anything more than maybe kiss though and probably not even that, at least so far). The series also handles Sakura and Toya's feelings around their mother's death and those of their father. There's some really funny stuff in there as well, it's not all drama.

[ 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently I'm watching... (get ready for this, I watch TV while I do homework so I watch A LOT)

House (every monday!)
America's Next Top Model (every wednesday!)
Top Chef (every thurdsay)
Project Runway (every friday)

When we have free time, my boyfriend and I watch Desperate Housewives. It's ridiculously hilarious!

And of course, I watch Star Trek whenever I can. Seeing as I've seen every episode of every star trek though, I pick out my favourites from my DVD collection and watch those over and over [Razz]

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the House. I also seem to have developed a slight obsession with Criminal Minds, and it doesn't help that the show is on A&E practically every night.

I sadly don't have my BtVS collection with me right now, but when at home, I watch old episodes of Buffy all the time.

And most importantly: Glee. It's my newest discovery and I'm in love with the show. It's smart and funny and refreshing, and it's a lot like drama club used to be when I was in high school and a dork, so I feel right at home. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch House religiously, every episode since it started. Even bought the DVDs the days they came out...but after fourth season I just felt like the show had in some cases veered too far from what it used to be and other cases had not veered enough. So now I can't watch, which is a shame since I love Hugh Laurie (Blackadder - check it out for some cross-dressin' fun [Big Grin] )

Anyway, I watch things online the day after they air, and I watch A LOT.

Mondays - Dexter

Tuesdays - Gossip Girl guilty pleasure!
How I Met Your Mother
Heroes I hardly even pay attention while I watch anymore, it's almost to the House point of 'I don't think I can do this anymore'. I watch out of habit and nostalgia for s1 more than anything...and the hope that Claire and Gretchen will end up doing something more than just kiss [Wink] I so ship it!

Wednesday - Glee I don't even really like it...or any of the characters...but I don't know why I can't stop watching o.O

Fridays - (OH MY GOD, why is practically every show I love on Thursdays! o.O)
Community, which everyone should check out so we can boost the numbers - it doesn't deserve to get canceled 1st season [Frown]
30 Rock
The Office
Flashforward I'm not sure if it's even good, yet, but I'll keep watching until it gets uber lame. I don't get why they keep playing 'creepy' music, though, when the stuff that's happening on-screen
Project Runway

During the summer, I watch Secret Life of the American Teenager, I think for the 'can't-look-away-from-this-train-wreck' effect, and also to be disgusted by their ideas of what teenage mother parenting and teen relationships are like and how 'TEh sEckZ!' ruins everything...one girl seriously thinks she KILLED HER DAD by having sex...it's so awful. Also, True Blood (how freakin' awesome and sexy was Michelle Forbes last season? [Wink] ) and Weeds.

I JUST finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer and have now moved on to Angel. I also recently started Harper's Island which is pretty creepy and gross. I'm thinking of getting into Fringe, since my fiance loves it, but I don't know if I can handle ANOTHER show airing on Thursdays! o__O Oh, and I plan on watching Caprica whenever it FINALLY comes out! [Big Grin]

Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers

My favorite films at the moment are Silence of the Lambs[b/] and [b]Breakfast on Pluto, both of which strangely have to do with gender issues. (yes, I'm a little late. I JUST watched Lambs.)

The former has been criticized for its portrayal of "Buffalo Bill" the "not quite transsexual" budding serial killer. However, I found the infamous/famous dancing scene that "Bill" does in drag really amazing. And his character was great as well. I have read it is much more developed in the book, but man, he's got a great voice.

Pluto is a highly inspirational trans flick where Cillian Murphy plays Patricia "kitten" Braden, a dear soul who finds herself through being a groupie, a magician's assistant, a sex worker, and a friend to those she meets.

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to watch a lot of TV shows that aren't on the air anymore. Pushing Daisies is my absolute favorite. Anytime I'm feeling down, I watch it and dream about having my very own pie maker. [Smile] I also love everything Joss Whedon does, so Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Angel, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog are all awesome in my opinion. I like Bryan Fuller's work, too, though it's not quite as good as Joss Whedon's. Dexter is my favorite show currently on TV. The script is great, though it's so weird to sympathize with a serial killer (even my mom likes him!). I also watch The Office, Psych, Monk, Community, Glee (not sure why I watch that one, either, but it's fun), and Castle (though the only reason I watch it is because I'm secretly in-love with Nathan Fillion; he's just so awesome!). Wow, now it sounds like I watch a lot of TV! I actually don't watch that much, just a show here or there when I'm not totally busy or need a break from working. Oh, and I'm slowly working on BSG.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBexExpress
Neophyte
Member # 44524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBexExpress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am on a massive Whedon kick. I've been following Dollhouse obsessively, and I'm in love with the premise, as well as everything Adele DeWitt has ever worn. I'm not overwhelmingly impressed by the new season, especially aesthetically. Between the whole let's-film-everything-all-gloomy-and-weird approach they've taken and Adele's hairdo it's a bit of a letdown. But it's improving every week, I think.

I've also been working my way through Buffy, as I've never seen any until now. I'm up to season 5, which I'm not loving as much as past seasons, but I'm intrigued.

I'm also following season 6 of The Office, which, surprise, I'm not too impressed with! Boy do I sound difficult to please.

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Pushing Daisies, the first time I watched it the quirkiness was a bit overwhelming and almost forced, but then I gave it a few more episodes and I really got into it. I'd completely forgotten about Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, I haven't seen that and I so want to.

I've been watching True Blood, which is adding some... interesting stuff to the vampire mythos, like "overdose on vampire blood and get erectus permanantus" (I stole the term erectus permanantus from QI, Richard E. Grant made it up to describe having a permanent erection for a joke, I suppose you could also use it to describe not being able to sit down), the idea of vampires getting civil rights is a fascinating concept for a show, and I have started to watch Dollhouse, which will probably have some worthwhile things to say about memory and self.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panique
Neophyte
Member # 44513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panique     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I loved Pushing Daisies, the first time I watched it the quirkiness was a bit overwhelming and almost forced, but then I gave it a few more episodes and I really got into it.
I heard that Pushing Daisies ended really abruptly or something due to it being cut? I was looking into watching it sometime but if the ending doesn't really conclude things, I might not bother.

I just got into That '70s Show recently! So I'm mostly trying to catch up on that. I just finished season 1 and I'm going to look at getting my hands on season 2 soonish. Aside from that, Scrubs as usual. I've seen season 5 through to 8, and I'm working my way through what I haven't seen of the earlier ones, as well as anxiously waiting for season 9. [Smile]

[ 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: panique ]

--------------------
"If I ever saw an amputee being hanged, I would just yell out letters."

Posts: 29 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by panique:
[QUOTE]\
I just got into That '70s Show recently!

Me too! I need to find used copies of the series. It's so funny.

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panique
Neophyte
Member # 44513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panique     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to find another fan. [Razz] Everyone I've asked has said they don't like it.

--------------------
"If I ever saw an amputee being hanged, I would just yell out letters."

Posts: 29 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Cardcaptor Sakura (I have now watched episodes 1-36) - So I'm now just starting season 2, I really loved the whole first series, we can see Sakura is starting to form a friendship with Meilin even though there was a rivalry initially (mostly on Meilin's part), and the mystery surrounding Sakura's teacher and Toya's former love Kaho Mizuki is being developed, this is still one of the happiest shows I've ever seen, and the new opening and ending theme are awesome, Kero is regaining some of his powers, though he still looks very small and cuddly and round and plush toy like, unfortunately Kero doesn't have a special segment at the end of each episode anymore (the show has lots of detail put into all the different outfits the characters wear so Kero would talk about them as well as the characters' modes of transportation and Sakura's magical staff, though there was stuff that wasn't covered like the varied well designed clothes that the characters wear when they aren't in uniform or battle costumes, it's a shame my sister doesn't like anime because she's really into clothes and I think she would have appreciated it). I will gradually work my way through the second and third seasons.

Feherlofia/Son of the White Mare (Original language of Hungarian with English language subtitles, not released on DVD with the aforementioned language options, feature film) - This is a fairy tale with some of the most stunning and unusual artwork I've seen in an animated film, it's full of bright blocked and blended colours with characters faces morphing into one another, lovely music too, it tells the story of a mare who gives birth to a homo sapien, who they raise as their own and who grows, becoming stronger and stronger so they can tear down the tree their mother raised them in, then when the mare dies the adult son, who seems to be a reincarnation of one of three gods that were banished by their father, all three of which the white mare gave birth to the reincarnations of, goes on a quest to save the three princesses that are imprisoned in a castle and were the wives of the gods before their banishment, anyway it's a feast for the eyes, with an interesting mixture of female and male genital symbolism (and one female character who does not care to cover her breasts), I'm glad I took the time to watch it and I will again at some point, I've been meaning to see it for years but could never find it with English subtitles.

The Old Lady and the Pigeons (Original language of English, available on DVD as part of a Cinema 16 collection in the u.k. and under it's French language title in france with three other short films, it may also have been included on one of the french DVD editions of Les Triplettes de Belleville though I'm not sure, short film) - This is a pre-The Triplets of Belleville work by Sylvain Chomet that tells the story of a hungry policeman who disguises himself as a pigeon to get fed by the old woman who feeds them all manner of delicious things in the park, it's surreal, featuring Chomet's unique design style and humor, I won't give the ending away, but suffice to say the policeman won't get fed by the old lady forever.

Still watching True Blood, I thought the bit where Bill Compton goes to the church to talk about the civil war and a child sitting with their parents says "Mommy, he's so white" and then the child's mother says "No, we're white. He's dead" was really perceptive in that she's sort of erasing the existence of black vampires, Bill is white, he even fought for the confederates in the civil war and his father kept slaves, and there's this intersection of racism against non-white individuals and prejudice against vampires that informs her reaction to the statement that he's white (which the child also perhaps means literally as his skin is rather pale as opposed to racially, or maybe a combination of the two).

--------------------

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just the film Wendy and Lucy, which I'd wanted to see for awhile. Has anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think? [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexial_L
Neophyte
Member # 45663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexial_L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jill2000 - I watched Cardcaptor Sakura A LOT as a kid. The 5 years of primary and secondary I spent in Hong Kong were anime-filled - absolutely loved after school TV over there! Absolutely agree with you with the opening and ending themes, I'd sing along, not knowing what I'm singing. Anyway, let me know where you're up to... I've kind of forgotten a lot of it now. I adore Yue though.

TV: I'm a major Dexter and House fan. Watched a lot of Buffy through high school. Still very much in love with Dead Like Me. More recently would be The Big Bang Theory and How I Met You Mother. Huge fan of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, hence my love for The Office (UK version) and Extras.

Movies: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an all-time favourite. Loved Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino. Other favourites would be Atonement, Anchorman, Tropic Thunder, Zoolander, Up, and many, many more. Watched Where The Wild Things Are not too long ago and loved it.

Bonnie - if you liked Silence of the Lambs, you should check out a song by Green Keepers called Lotion.

Posts: 10 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is absolutely beautiful, I watched it with my mom and my favourite bit is probably when they're having sex and he's telling her she's beautiful and that memory starts to disappear and he's begging "please let me have this one" (I'm paraphrasing). So obvious, in a way, but it really demonstrates just what he's losing, that all the times they helped each other grow are going to be wiped along with all the moments of pain and sadness.

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Gosh it's been a long time since I updated:

Angelic Layer (Episodes 1-26 COMPLETE, Japanese language with English subtitles) - Good, not great, I jumped to pick this up when it went out of print thinking the fact that it was based on a CLAMP manga, the well animated opening sequence and Hiroshi Nishikori as director (not always good, but they have directed some of my favourite shows) would make for a great series, what's here is something that is well animated with plenty of bright, pretty colours and quality design work, a few really good characters and a few stock ones, a pleasant but undistinguished musical score and the huge problem that most of the time you can predict exactly what's going to happen, as the show follows the shonen tournament formula with pretty much no deviations, here, the heroine Misaki plays a game where high tech dolls (or angels) fight each other on an electronic platform called a layer, she learns quickly and ends up going to the championships, while learning lessons about friendship, dedication and trying to figure out which of the two boys in her life she really likes. I liked this show, it's well done for what it is but by the end I was kind of wondering why I'd bothered to watch it in the first place. If you're looking for a show suitable for introducing girls aged five to twelve to anime it's a good pick as it has a likeable, determined female lead and a fair few other good points, but Cardcaptor Sakura (also based on a CLAMP manga and with a girl as the lead) is by far a superior show, and it doesn't have a girl who beats up her male childhood friend for humor purposes.

Big Windup (Episodes 1-13 of ???, Japanese language with English subtitles) - Very good show about baseball, following a shy teenage boy who gets a second chance at becoming a great pitcher after years of lost matches on his old school team, this time he has a catcher who puts in the effort to understand him and help him gain confidence and achieve his full potential. This is very much a sports show, virtually everything shown on screen is about baseball with very little time devoted to the lives of the characters outside of the team, the field, practice, training and various sport related ceremonies and events, but there's good character development and solid animation too, probably not the best show if you hate sports, but I'm enjoying it, though not quite enough to rush to pick up the second half of the first season.

Cardcaptor Sakura (Episodes 1-49 of 70, Japanese language with English subtitles) - I'm now into the third and final season, it's still one of the best shows I've ever seen, it's been a while since I watched an episode though so I can't quite remember what happened, but Sakura is starting to use her own magic and is becoming exhausted from this, and a new boy called Eriol is making Syaoran Li jealous as he becomes close to Sakura.

Courage the Cowardly Dog (Pilot plus episodes 1-11 of 52, English language) - I'm really enjoying watching this from the beginning, it's about a dog called Courage who lives with the kindly Muriel and her mean husband Eustace, he is scared of many things but he always bravely saves his humans from all manner of threats, such as zombies, aliens, giant insects, malevolent mammals, ghosts, mummies and so on, the animation is good, and the show has a fairly distinctive character design style, all the episodes are entertaining and the score is excellent with plenty of different pieces, like you'd find in a good horror movie, my favourite episode is the one about the kindly hunchback, there's going to be a DVD release for the first season soon so I'll pick that up, though apparently it's not going to include the pilot episode.

Ok I give up on writing reviews for everything, this is the rest, I might review some of it later.

Eerie Indiana (Episodes 1-19 COMPLETE, English language)
Full Metal Panic! (Episodes 1-24 COMPLETE, Japanese language with English subtitles)
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (Episodes 1-12 COMPLETE, Japanese language with English subtitles)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (Episodes 1-12 COMPLETE, Japanese language with English subtitles)
Master of Mosquiton (Episodes 1-6 COMPLETE, Japanese language with English subtitles)
Michel Ocelot's short films (French language with English subtitles)
Sgt. Frog (Episodes 1-13 of 320, Japanese language with English subtitles)
Someday's Dreamers (Episodes 1-12 COMPLETE, Japanese language with English subtitles)
Vinni Puh/Winnie the Pooh - (Episodes 1-3 COMPLETE, Russian language with English subtitles)
XxxHolic (Episodes 1-24 of 39, I also haven't seen the Shunmuki and Ro OVAs or the Midsummer Night's Dream movie, Japanese language with English subtitles)

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (English language)
Azur and Asmar: The Princes' Quest (French language with English subtitles)
Black Magic M-66 (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Blood: The Last Vampire (English and Japanese language with English subtitles)
The Cat Returns (Japanese language with English subtitles)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (English language)
The Corpse Bride (English language)
Doggy Poo (Korean language with English subtitles) - This is about a sentient stopmotion dog poo that meets many other beings and is afraid they are worthless then eventually finds happiness by fertilising a dandelion, at which point I almost cried - it was moving dammit!
Father Christmas (English language)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Happy Feet (English language)
Metropolis (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Monster House (English language)
Paprika (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Perfect Blue (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Persepolis (French language with English subtitles)
The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Japanese language with English subtitles)
The Powerpuff Girls Movie (English language)
Princess Arete (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Sailor Moon R: The Promise of the Rose (Japanese language with English subtitles)
A Scanner Darkly (English language)
The Snowman (English language)
Steamboy: The Director's Cut (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Taro the Dragon Boy (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Tekkonkinkreet (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Tokyo Godfathers (Japanese language with English subtitles)
Valhalla (Danish language with English subtitles)
Vampire Hunter D (English language dub, Japanese language with English subtitles)

[ 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

psykins
Neophyte
Member # 45771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psykins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch SO much TV, although actually less than I used to! Some shows just lost my interest. Right now, I'm watching (or just finished watching!):

V
Community
The Office
30 Rock
Glee
Nurse Jackie
The Simpsons

I am also thoroughly hooked on The Good Wife, which is kind of a guilty pleasure...

Posts: 14 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fizzy
Neophyte
Member # 47216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fizzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only TV shows I'm watching regularly right now are Doctor Who and Glee.
By the way, Glee tonight was awesome. I'm not going to spoil, since probably not everyone has seen it yet, but I had to at least mention it, because I've barely been able to stop squeeing like an idiotic fangirl since it ended three hours ago.

I'll probably be watching Firefly again pretty soon -- renting it from netflix and making my family watch it. They've never seen it, and this state of affairs cannot be allowed to stand.

Posts: 9 | From: California | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Today I finished watching:

Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade (Japanese language with English subtitles) - This is a moving tragedy, with amazing music by Hajime Mizugochi and a script by Mamoru Oshii (Angel's Egg, Ghost in the Shell Movies 1 & 2, Patlabor Movies 1 & 2 & OVAs, The Sky Crawlers, Urusei Yatsura Episodes 1-106 & Movies 1 & 2). It's a powerful film, using Little Red Riding Hood as a motif, though here it's used to portray the horrors of police brutality and war, the soldier Fuse is torn between the simplicity and lack of emotional involvment (and consequently, pain) in hunting down targets like an animal after prey (a wolf) and his loyalty to his pack, and his desire to love and think and engage with the world, as opposed to the more common interpretations of the folktale's various versions. Fuse is part of a special unit meant to combat terrorism and rioting, when he is about to shoot a girl who is about to set off a bomb she has in her satchel, she does indeed set it off and blows herself up, dying instantly. Fuse is traumatised by the incident, but finds some solace in meeting and getting to know the dead girl's sister, however it doesn't end well. The animation is excellent, there's something slightly off about the character acting, it seems a little doll-like, but I think this is intentional, I seem to remember reading that it was meant to be a commentary on the uncanny valley effect... regardless it doesn't lessen the film, and the voice acting is excellent. The film is set 10 years after WWII and there's a constant fear of german facist takeover running through it. Don't watch it if you're feeling sad or depressed, but if you're looking for thoughtful, compelling animated cinema and can deal with a few rather bloody shootouts then this is highly recommended.

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Update!

I've recently watched a lot of sample episodes of various animated shows I heard good things about, mostly from the 1980s and 2000-post, here's a list

Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers - Nice visuals but extremely cheesy, I liked the second episode more than the first though, so I'll give this a bit more of a chance.

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Really good. A few moments of noticeably low frame rate aside (which may have just been playback issues anyway) and one moment (can't remember if this was in the trailer or the actual episode, if the former they may have corrected it anyway) when Thor was drawn badly from the back (I don't mean off model, I mean badly), the animation and visuals in this are very good, and the writing is more than solid (maybe even SUPERsolid... no srsly it's teh excellent). Marvel's been markedly improving the quality of their animated series of late (with "Wolverine and The X-Men" and "Spectacular Spiderman), and this continues the trend, sure not every show they do is good, but even DC can't claim that. This manages to both set up the universe and throw you into the action at the same time, there's a lot of fighting in this episode that is not boring, coupled with the introduction of plenty of interesting characters. I hope they put this out in a season set (or at least half season sets) right off the bat instead of putting out a bunch of crummy 3-4 episode singles (as they did with Wolverine and the X-men and Spectacular Spiderman).

Clone High - Parody of teen drama series with a cast composed mostly of clones of famous historical figures, the main characters are clones of Abraham Lincoln, Joan of Arc, Ghandi, JFK and Cleopatra, there are also clones of Genghis Khan and Van Gogh and twin Elvis Presleys, among others. I don't dislike it, there were a couple of good laughs and it has a cool theme song, but I was hoping for something far better than I got seeing as one of the creators was behind Scrubs.

The Dream Stone - Beautifully and imaginatively drawn and fluidly animated, with a score by The London Philharmonic Orchestra, this is the story of Rufus, a daydreamer and member of a mammalian species that doesn't actually exist and which I can't remember the name of, who keeps getting fired from his various jobs (3 in 3 weeks) for drifting off into his imagination, his friend Amberly suggests that he become assistant/apprentice to The Dream Maker, and he does. But there's also a land of nightmares, where the lord of nightmares and his henchmen plot to steal the titular dreamstone. As I understand it that's the basic plot setup of every episode, but if the execution of each episode is as gorgeous as this one I'll keep watching (it's miles ahead of Hanna Barbera).

Dungeons and Dragons - Well animated and with great characterisation... I don't really have much more to say, I really like it and plan to buy the boxset.

Fish Hooks - Cool mixture of photographs and 3d for backgrounds with 2D animation for characters, it's entertaining and well timed but is also another show about a couple of guys who are "average" looking and a very, very conventionally attractive girl who one of them has a crush on... with fish. Movie Sara Crewe said "all girls are princesses, even if they aren't pretty, or smart", which may not be the most progressive message ever, but was a damn sight better than this, which is pretty much "only really pretty girls even qualify as average". I would have liked it a lot more if it wasn't for that aspect of it, as there were some really cool action sequences and some good jokes as well as the other good points I mentioned.

Galaxy High School - Chris Columbus was involved in this show, which I found to be nothing special, it's about a guy called Doyle and a girl called Amy who get recruited to a school in outer space, where formerly popular jock boy Doyle is ostracised for his lack of book learnin' (he basically coasted through school on his sporting ability) and nerdy girl Amy is welcomed as she is academically gifted and hardworking and because men outnumber women 2:1 on this planet. I didn't hate this, but I can't be bothered to watch any more of it.

Generator Rex - The new show from the team behind Ben 10, this is awesome and I will buy it on DVD when they release a season set instead of the current 9 episode set they have out.

Jamie and the Magic Torch - This is probably most memorable for it's opening theme, followed by some nice Yellow Submarine-esque visuals, but it's really low budget and a little dull, there are better u.k. kids TV shows out there.

Jem (and the Holograms) - I love this for it's 80s fashion, music, characters and all the rather implausible plot twists (wouldn't the Misfits have gotted arrested by a couple of episodes into the series?), sadly the boxsets are out of print.

Kick Buttowski - Meh, it's not terrible but there are way better shows out there, and the characters used the word "lame" at least twice, because what show would be complete without ableist language. I watched this purely because it was mentioned in a thread about creator driven shows on Cartoon Brew.

Kuragehime - This is about a group of female otaku who live in an apartment with a "no men" rule, the main character is a jellyfish otaku, and when she goes to the pet store to watch them, she sees that two incompatible jellyfish have been placed in the same tank, she tries to convince the employee at the store that they have to separate them but they won't listen, then someone she thinks looks like a beautiful princess of the type she's always felt she wasn't comes along and helps her sort out the situation, which results in her getting the spotted jellyfish to take home, along with the person who helped her. In the morning, she finds out they're actually a man in drag, and then the episode ends, the animation is really well observed and the opening is a fast paced homage to multiple films, this could become one of my favourite shows ever. Oh, and it's really funny.

Legion of Superheroes - I watched 6 episodes of this before giving up on it, on the plus side it's got a nice visual style, an awesome retro opening, an engaging cast including a young Superman, it has a fat superhero called Bouncing Boy and a very shippable relationship between Superman and Braniac 5, but it's good, rather than great overall, feeling somewhat by the numbers.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Ok, if you'd asked me two days ago what I think of My Little Pony, I would have said "I haven't seen it but it always looked awful to me, like Barbie with ponies, I did own one of the toys as a child, but I don't think I'll check out any of the shows", but then I saw a promo picture in an article summarizing recent events in animation as blogged about on Cartoon Brew, and without knowing what it was, I thought "that picture is beautiful", while Cartoon Brew chose the show to make an example of The Hub, a new channel that's starting out with a bunch of animated shows based on Hasbro toys, saying that it meant a return to the "half hour toy commercial" days of the 80s, I checked it out, and while it's clearly aimed at a younger demographic than the one I belong to, it's still beautifully designed, thanks to Lauren Faust, wife of Craig McCracken the creator of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and The Powerpuff Girls, basically this show is like a "girly" version of that design aesthetic, it's got some of the best flash animation I've ever seen and it's charming and cute and full of unicorns and ponies and pegasus' and I thought it was really sweet and I want to watch the whole thing now. I don't plan to ever watch the older shows, as I haven't heard many good things, but this is just lovely.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - About two angels called Panty (who's underpants turn into a gun) and Stocking (who's stocking turns into a sword), and a preacher called Garterbelt, Panty loves having lots of sex, Stocking is a goth and loves sweets, they also have a dog called Chuck who's a homage to Invader Zim's Gir (who was a robot, but pretended to be a dog), anyway, the design is excellent and clearly heavily influenced by 90s Cartoon Network, but with director Hiroyuki Imaishi's visual stamp as well, the animation is less good than one would expect though, while there is some excellent work here and there, it looks conspicuously like your average TV flash cartoon in places, it's got a lot of sex jokes and bodily function jokes, with two mini episodes in each TV broadcast. It's different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a great show, I'll give it a few more episodes before making a decision, but right now I'm rather disappointed.

Phineas and Ferb - Fun, silly show about two stepbrothers trying to make every day of their vacation count, the visuals aren't amazing, but the direction, timing, music, and humor all work (aside from the jokes about "crazy" people *eyeroll*), I really want to see more of this.

Pole Position - Fun show about three siblings and the older two's cars, which have computer controls that talk.

Regular Show - Hilariously random, kind of reminds me of the Mighty Boosh... "a bunch of baby ducks, on the moon! Soda machine that doesn't work, on the moon!" It also has some very 80s synthesiser music in it used semi-ironically. And hamboning.

Ruby Gloom - This is cute and Misery is awesome, but I don't like it half as much as My Little Pony (to take another show based on characters from merchandise), I wish I liked it more, but for some reason I can't quite get into it.

Shiki - Features ominously creepy direction and music (total slowburner), mysterious unexplained deaths, laughably bad hair designs, opening by Buck-Tick. I like it.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume! - About a squid that comes out of the ocean disguised as a human girl to conquer humanity and stop them from polluting the oceans, I didn't really like this that much.

Spiral Zone - Enjoyable show about an evil scientist and a group of heroic soldiers. Once one gets past the rather right-wing premise, it's a cool show, the stories are entertaining, the animation and design are quite good and the lead character sounds so much like Phil Hartman that I keep almost cracking up because I imagine it's Troy McClure (though I didn't have this problem when watching the dubbed version of Kiki's Delivery Service, which actually does have Phil Hartman in it as Jiji the cat).

Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto - Stunning animation, otherwise good to great visual design, throws you into the middle of things without explaining much but makes you want to find out more rather than just making you confused, the scriptwriter worked on Revolutionary Girl Utena and the director is Takuya Igarashi (Ouran High School Host Club, Soul Eater). It also features an ultra-fabulous transformation sequence and outfit for the Galactic Pretty Boy (GINGA BISHONEN!)

Thundercats - I like it and will watch more, I'm not going to even bother with any plot details as it's extremely well known. I will say that the animation and drawings are awesome looking. Thundercats Ho!.

Transformers: Beast Wars - I've never watched a Transformers series before but lots of people said the writing for this is really good, and I agree, the CGI is pretty blocky, but the characters are interesting, plus seeing a gorilla transform into a robot is pretty cool.

Wildfire - This had input from Peter S. Beagle of The Last Unicorn fame and so far is a nice little show about a girl called Sara and a lot of horses (including the titular Wildfire) and a fantasy kingdom where Sara is the deceased queen's daughter. The copy I've got is from VHS and has lots of frame jitter and fuzz, but I'm still enjoying this.

The World God Only Knows - About a guy who's an expert at dating sims who ends up having to get real girls to fall in love with him or lose his head thanks to a misunderstanding with a demon girl who will also lose her head if he fails, see, he has to cast out souls from hell that are trapped in these girls' hearts (it doesn't affect their behaviour). Anyway, it's funny and really shiny.

[ 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.